Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as he’s been, it would be a sad indictment on our list if he’s already ahead of Emmett, JOM, Sturt and Erasmus for a forward or forward mid role.
Amiss, Treacy/Tabs, Jackson, Walters and Frederick are all locks, the other 5-6 are competing for 2 spots.
Nah we have lost Schultz and Switta will probably miss round one. There is room for a debut. Last year JLo was stubborn and conservative with match selection so if anything that will prevent a Cooper callup.

Nah we have lost Schultz and Switta will probably miss round one. There is room for a debut. Last year JLo was stubborn and conservative with match selection so if anything that will prevent a Cooper callup.
The only chance Cooper has is the fact Emmett, Sturt and JOM have all had interrupted preseasons, but that probably just benefits Ras and Banfield, he’s got a lot of players to overtake before he’s a lock

Exactly, idk where this sentiment is coming from. In fact if Clark can be the main rebounder than our backline will be complete. He has speed and a booming kick so he is perfect for this role. The coach needs to let him off the leash.
does it make any sense to think clark is being held on a leash meanwhile wagner is given free license to go as he pleases? dont think its the coach holding other players back in the defence tbh

does it make any sense to think clark is being held on a leash meanwhile wagner is given free license to go as he pleases? dont think its the coach holding other players back in the defence tbh
Before Wagner arrived, Clark still wasn't rebounding. JLo hasn't valued rebounding from D50 like other teams have despite having speed to burn and it's contributed to last season.

This vidoe shows my issue with Wagner. Good run, but under zero pressure he manges to cough it up. When I see this stuff I can't "un-see" it. If one of the Wagner fans can send me some footage of him picking off a classy kick I might change my mindView attachment 1901221
Our forwards positioning was below standard in that passage of play.

Before Wagner arrived, Clark still wasn't rebounding. JLo hasn't valued rebounding from D50 like other teams have despite having speed to burn and it's contributed to last season.
so when we pick up a delisted player JL changes tune on how our half backs rebound? not sure that makes sense

so when we pick up a delisted player JL changes tune on how our half backs rebound? not sure that makes sense
I think Wagner took matters into his own hands and played high risk high reward.

I thought Jlo took the shackles off in the last 6 or so games. Needs to do that from rd 1. Could lose by 30 but on the other hand could win by 30 if we play adventurous.

Our midfield would have to be seriously firing if we can afford to put our best player in the forward line! But yes, I’m struggling with how we get everyone minutes in the guts as well. He’d want to start kicking more goals though!
Injuries always happen

Clark was rebounding in his first few games with us then every single opposition club put the clamps on him because a handball receive turns into +75m closer to goal.

It's the sort of play that turns intercept possessions across half back into quick entries into our own forward fifty. Every single club tries to blunt weapons like that.

He has to outwork the opponent sacrificing his own game to dull him, but the point is that it's sometimes more effective to take away the weapons of the opposition than going head to head.

We just need more weapons back there, if all of Walker, Clark and Wagner put on the turbojet and run the ball before kicking long (even to grass) then the entire opposition forward line will need to stay behind the ball to man up or leave them all loose.

Clark was rebounding in his first few games with us then every single opposition club put the clamps on him because a handball receive turns into +75m closer to goal.

It's the sort of play that turns intercept possessions across half back into quick entries into our own forward fifty. Every single club tries to blunt weapons like that.

He has to outwork the opponent sacrificing his own game to dull him, but the point is that it's sometimes more effective to take away the weapons of the opposition than going head to head.

We just need more weapons back there, if all of Walker, Clark and Wagner put on the turbojet and run the ball before kicking long (even to grass) then the entire opposition forward line will need to stay behind the ball to man up or leave them all loose.
You are 100% right, other clubs did target Clarky and took that away from us. This is why Chapman is so vital to the backline. I don't think it's an excuse though, we need to work with the players we have and design a plan to make it work. Both Collingwood and the Giant's rebounding isn't reliant on one or two individuals but is a collective effort after all. We can't just focus on the "contest".

Updated after the draft, none of these three get an automatic start, but definitely fill some holes we had. If we are serious about Chapman moving up the ground we need an intercept defender, my guess is Clohesy in the rookie draft or at least as a train on for the final SSP spot if we only take one rookie today.

B22
Ryan Pearce Clark
Wagner Cox Chapman
Johnson Young Sharp
Sturt Treacy Frederick
Emmett Amiss Walters

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Jackson JOM Aish Switta

Sub: Fyfe

Peel/depth
Murphy McDonald Walker
Worner Davies Hughes
Stanley Erasmus NOD
Banfield Reidy Williams
Draper Tabs Delean

Knobel Brodie Simpson

Unavailable: Corbett, Kuek

Ok, now our list is locked in until the MSD, here’s my crack at B23 plus Peel team.

B22
Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Chapman
Johnson Fyfe Sharp
Emmett Treacy Frederick
Sturt Amiss Walters

Darcy Serong Young

Jackson Aish Switta Brayshaw

Sub: Brodie

Peel/depth
Draper McDonald Hughes
Wagner Davies Worner
Stanley Erasmus NOD
Banfield Reidy Williams
Voss Tabs Delean

Knobel JOM Simpson

Murphy Jones

I know we aren’t dropping JOM, but I really think the forward line needs Emmett’s pressure to lock the ball in, Walters Amiss and Sturt are our class, Emmett and Treacy bring the heat, Frederick is the speed. Jackson and Switta rotate through to give us an unpredictable edge and force defenders to switch it up.
Brayshaw is our 4th inside mid, and gets plenty of time in there, but for opening bounce I can’t go past Fyfe, Serong and Young as our starting trio.

Ok, now our list is locked in until the MSD, here’s my crack at B23 plus Peel team.

B22
Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Chapman
Johnson Fyfe Sharp
Emmett Treacy Frederick
Sturt Amiss Walters

Darcy Serong Young

Peel/depth
Draper McDonald Hughes
Wagner Davies Worner
Stanley Erasmus NOD
Banfield Reidy Williams
Voss Tabs Delean

Knobel JOM Simpson

Murphy Jones

I know we aren’t dropping JOM, but I really think the forward line needs Emmett’s pressure to lock the ball in, Walters Amiss and Sturt are our class, Emmett and Treacy bring the heat, Frederick is the speed. Jackson and Switta rotate through to give us an unpredictable edge and force defenders to switch it up.
Brayshaw is our 4th inside mid, and gets plenty of time in there, but for opening bounce I can’t go past Fyfe, Serong and Young as our starting trio.

I really think the sub needs to be burst player, who can break lines late in games.
I don't see Brodie as a good sub.

I prefer Stanley or Simpson as the sub.

Round 1, Cox, Swita and Chapman will be out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think the sub needs to be burst player, who can break lines late in games.
I don't see Brodie as a good sub.

I prefer Stanley or Simpson as the sub.

Round 1, Cox, Swita and Chapman will be out.
None of those three have been officially ruled out. Switta is likely to be available, Cox is a good chance, Chapman is unlikely.

My opinion on best 22:

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman
Sharp Serong Brayshaw
Frederick Treacy Switkowski
Walters Amiss Jackson
Darcy Fyfe Johnson
Young Aish O'Meara Sturt

I would want Young splitting time between half back and inside mid. Brayshaw starting on the wing for the centre bounce then swapping with Johnson in general play. Aish spending more time as winger than as a defender which looks the likely case this season.

I always seem to forget someone so apologies in advance if I have done so again.

If our squad is available and in some semblance of form I’d like to see this team by rd3. Taking a punt that Sharp is up to AFL otherwise Aish comes in. Tabs may force Tracey out if he finds his 40 goals a year form. Sonny can play home games instead of Ras.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Chappy Cox Clark
NOD Johnson Sharp
Freddie Tracey Ras
Emmett Amiss Sturt

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Fyfe Jackson Wagner Simpson Young

Emg: JOM, Aish, McDonald, Brodie

If our squad is available and in some semblance of form I’d like to see this team by rd3. Taking a punt that Sharp is up to AFL otherwise Aish comes in. Tabs may force Tracey out if he finds his 40 goals a year form. Sonny can play home games instead of Ras.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Chappy Cox Clark
NOD Johnson Sharp
Freddie Tracey Ras
Emmett Amiss Sturt

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Walters run over your cat?

B22
Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Chapman
Johnson Fyfe Sharp
Emmett Treacy Frederick
Sturt Amiss Walters

Darcy Serong Young

Peel/depth
Draper McDonald Hughes
Wagner Davies Worner
Stanley Erasmus NOD
Banfield Reidy Williams
Voss Tabs Delean

Knobel JOM Simpson

Murphy Jones

Picking a best 23 is a very very difficult task, but I can’t argue with your picks although a couple of positions are obviously dependent on player performance in scratchies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ryan Pearce Walker
Chappy Cox Clark
NOD Johnson Sharp
Freddie Tracey Ras
Emmett Amiss Sturt

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Sonny is one of the one of the first names on the team sheet - home and away!
That whole “only play an old bloke at home theory” has never worked in afl history anyway. I can’t recall a single example.
If the team comes off a great away win you aren’t going to drop someone for Sonny just becomes he only plays home games.

That whole “only play an old bloke at home theory” has never worked in afl history anyway. I can’t recall a single example.
If the team comes off a great away win you aren’t going to drop someone for Sonny just becomes he only plays home games.
I think there is a strong chance that we do do this for Fyfe this year. Don't be surprised if we have a game at Marvel coming up and it says Out: Fyfe (managed).

B: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
HB: Aish, Cox, Clark
C: Sharp, Fyfe, Johnson
HF: Jackson, Treacy, Frederick
F: Emmett, Amiss, Walters

R: Darcy, Serong, Young

I: O'Meara, Wagner, Brayshaw, Switkowski

S: Erasmus

Notes:
  • Brodie missing out as Erasmus has more versatility.
  • Chapman assumed unavailable (is definitely B22 if fit), Cox and Switkowski assumed available.
  • Simpson close, but starts at Peel. The mediums and smalls in the forward line will want to start the season well as Simpson will be trying to squeeze one of them out. Lots of pressure to perform with this depth.
  • Able to put a B22 together without including Hughes and Banfield. Great signs. If it takes 5 - 6 injuries before they're even considered, then Freo is going places.
  • Can't believe I can't fit Sturt in. Very tempting to omit O'Meara for Sturt. This decision likely rests on needs for that match, whether we need more midfield cover or scoring power.
  • I'm not sure who I'd take out if Chapman were fit, but it would likely have to be either Aish or Wagner, which is actually kind of incredible that players of that quality can't fit in this side.

It’s the lack of defensive accountability that has me slowly weaning myself off Sonny. As much as he is one of the club greats, he was drafted 16 years ago.

B: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
HB: Aish, Cox, Clark
C: Sharp, Fyfe, Johnson
HF: Jackson, Treacy, Frederick
F: Emmett, Amiss, Walters

R: Darcy, Serong, Young

I: O'Meara, Wagner, Brayshaw, Switkowski

S: Erasmus

Notes:
  • Brodie missing out as Erasmus has more versatility.
  • Chapman assumed unavailable (is definitely B22 if fit), Cox and Switkowski assumed available.
  • Simpson close, but starts at Peel. The mediums and smalls in the forward line will want to start the season well as Simpson will be trying to squeeze one of them out. Lots of pressure to perform with this depth.
  • Able to put a B22 together without including Hughes and Banfield. Great signs. If it takes 5 - 6 injuries before they're even considered, then Freo is going places.
  • Can't believe I can't fit Sturt in. Very tempting to omit O'Meara for Sturt. This decision likely rests on needs for that match, whether we need more midfield cover or scoring power.
  • I'm not sure who I'd take out if Chapman were fit, but it would likely have to be either Aish or Wagner, which is actually kind of incredible that players of that quality can't fit in this side.
Yeah I reckon this is the team. The fact that we don't have to pick Banners, Hughes AND Tabs is a huge bonus. Gotta agree with you on Sturt, unfortunately I reckon the only thing stopping him from getting in the B22 is the fact that JOM is in the leadership group.

I wonder if maybe it would be rolling the dice and swapping Switta for Raz. If for nothing else, giving Switta's hammy just a touch more time to recover before playing a full match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back