Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we get anything for these Hawk FA's?

Luke Breust
Blake Hardwick
Harry Morrison
Conor Nash
Cooper Stephens*
Chad Wingard*
When have we typically looked to lock in new contracts for our free agents? Thinking about when we should start to worry with Hardwick and Nash. Guessing around mid-season bye period?

I know that usually the longer it goes, the more you have to worry about...

Edit: just noticed the bye is not until round 15. Feels a lot later than previous seasons.

Last edited:
We could probably split our first round pick.

Ours may end up being top 5. Gold Coast have their own first plus one tied to the Dogs. They could both be in the 8-12 range. One of them would be more reasonable for Smith.
Would make sense if we get Bailey Smith given the top picks are mids. O Farrell is a KPD likely to be late top 10 pick at this stage.

Ours may end up being top 5. Gold Coast have their own first plus one tied to the Dogs. They could both be in the 8-12 range. One of them would be more reasonable for Smith.
100% this. We would definitely split a top 5 pick if a 1st rounder is required for Smith.

If it’s a top 5 pick I’d prefer we just take the pick and think of different way pay for Smith.

Early picks are worth their weight in gold.

If it’s a top 5 pick I’d prefer we just take the pick and think of different way pay for Smith.

Early picks are worth their weight in gold.
If pick purchasing comes in this year or next I wouldn't mind us spending a couple of early picks worth of gold on some top end juniors.
IF we were able to nab Josh Smillie as well as the top performing KPD of the draft I'd say our list would look very exciting moving forward.

Melican is a good shout. 27 until November. Could still have 4+ years ahead of him.

24yr old, 197cm Payne is running around the Lions VFL too, and I assume we'd have enquired.

I think that the hawks should now be looking to trade picks.

They have got an excellent young core, mostly in the midfield. These kids have already started growing together and would want to be pushing finals next year. Young kp players take years to develop so I'm not sure drafting there is the best option. Plus they already have Mccabe - who is really exciting - and Ryan developing

I want to see them be aggressive and start trading in 23-28 year olds at either end, particularly down back.

I'd be offering a F1 for Smith too. He'll come. They'll probably be able to buy back a first next year anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melican is a good shout. 27 until November. Could still have 4+ years ahead of him.

24yr old, 197cm Payne is running around the Lions VFL too, and I assume we'd have enquired.
Would be ideal 👍
But signed a contract extension with the Lions until the end of 2029!
Sunshine Coast boy.

I want Jagga Smith with our first. Looks an absolute stud.

Would be fantastic if we could scrape together the capital for Baz without touching this or next years first if he wants to come to us. How though? Might need to get creative here.

Both jagga and Smillie will be gone by the time we get our turn on draft night I'm afraid. Unless we finish bottom two .

Both jagga and Smillie will be gone by the time we get our turn on draft night I'm afraid. Unless we finish bottom two .
They will be top 5 but that’s an early
Crow! Finn osullivan a jet Sid Draper too and Ashcroft goes top 5 father son. If we get Smith I don’t see the point in drafting another mid unless we see them as being elite and too good to pass up. As another poster said would hope we are already talking to suns about their first and dogs first for ours.

I think that the hawks should now be looking to trade picks.

They have got an excellent young core, mostly in the midfield. These kids have already started growing together and would want to be pushing finals next year. Young kp players take years to develop so I'm not sure drafting there is the best option. Plus they already have Mccabe - who is really exciting - and Ryan developing

I want to see them be aggressive and start trading in 23-28 year olds at either end, particularly down back.

I'd be offering a F1 for Smith too. He'll come. They'll probably be able to buy back a first next year anyway.
I think that still might be 12 months away for me personally, i think we hit the draft hard this year and reassess next year.

Happy to look at a Smith at the right price and again look for more value pick ups like a Chol, Ginni and D'ambrosio but our first should be pretty much off the table.

Say we finish 3rd last and Hardwick decides to leave as a RFA do you reckon we’ll end up with pick 4 as compensation?
I would be very very surprised, he is great at what he does but the role itself just isn't really valuable enough to get the sort of offers it requires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back