Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.
Loved your reports. They'll be missed. Thanks and good luck Chainsaw Man.

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.
I Love You Legends GIF by Bud Light

Thank you for being the best part of BF for a solid ten years or so.

The_Axeman out.
Just for old times sake, next time you chop the wood can you please provide one last glorious report?

I still don’t see what ginni did pre GF wrong. Went to races to see his or friends horse and left 8.30pm. Each person prepares different. He could’ve burnt all his energy playing the game over in his head.

The drug issue is a bit more serious but I’m happy to cut him some slack unless he snorts again. Then once bitten twice shy
I can’t wait to see Ginni and the Wiz carve it up, but the fact that after this he chose to wear riding silks to mad Monday shows he probably needs to mature a bit.

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for all the effort over the years and all the best to you and your family.

I think we know what this means yeah? Preseason camp every year in the Riverina town where Axe lives yeah?
YES!!
Just for old times sake, next time you chop the wood can you please provide one last glorious report?
Can do. The Husqvarna is done for the year, but she'll be firing up again in autumn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we have so much of that??
What is wrong with the mark and kick style forward who knows how to defend. I don’t get it.

Do we need a Mark Williams type when we already have to Chol, Lewis, Ginnivan, Watson, Butler, Moore, MacDonald, Breust, Gunston to chose from?

Do we need a Mark Williams type when we already have to Chol, Lewis, Ginnivan, Watson, Butler, Moore, MacDonald, Breust, Gunston to chose from?
Who other than Moore can put on enough pressure the other way??

And yep! We need another marking forward, if you are relying on Gunston, particularly long term, it is simply not going to work.

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for everything mate and wish you nothing but the best. A true legend of the hawks BF board.

Going to miss smashing the refresh button in wait of your reports though :'(

The_Axeman out.

Retiring the house down!

The_Axeman out.
Great innings Axe, thank you for your service.

tumblr_o5uwyzML2Z1qiohmio1_400.gif

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for everything, I hope you're cracking on with writing the great Australian novel. Stay safe this Summer

And yep! We need another marking forward, if you are relying on Gunston, particularly long term, it is simply not going to work.
I do agree we need more defensive pressure from our forwards. Hardwick isn’t that sort of player though, he doesn’t have the explosive speed to be able to chase someone down.

The problem with being solely a mark on lead type forward is teams shut that down so much better now. With both pressure on the ball carrier and blocking leading lanes. So players need other ways to score.

Hardwick training with the forwards might be so we can swing him forward if needed but playing him solely forward would rob us of one of our best defenders while not provide much, if any, improvement in our front half.

I can’t wait to see Ginni and the Wiz carve it up, but the fact that after this he chose to wear riding silks to mad Monday shows he probably needs to mature a bit.
First he’s 20 of course he needs to mature who didn’t. Second I think the fact he confronted and made light of it is something I respect.

None of them are known for being good at applying pressure, this could be a issue for us again this season.

I don't think Hardwick is the answer to this problem in any way though. He's one of the best small defenders in the league. It's the epitome of robbing Peter to pay Paul. If we are going to move anyone then maybe Mitchell is an option, as he's very quick and is tenacious too. Having said that, I'd rather he cement his spot as a back pocket.

Otherwise we just have to rely on Ginnivan, Watson, Butler and MacDonald improving their fitness and drive to apply defensive pressure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back