Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So you think adding Watson, Ginnivan, Chol and Gunston is not “improving that area of the ground”?

You’ve got a problem with that statement, really?
I said it’s based on optimism.

So far our new forward line has not delivered in the past two weeks of match play against AFL opposition.

You post as if bringing players in / back will guarantee improved output / scoring. Like it’s destined to be true. I certainly hope you’re right.

It is yet to be proven.

So far our new forward line has not delivered in the past two weeks of match play against AFL opposition.

You post as if bringing players in / back will guarantee improved output / scoring. Like it’s destined to be true. I certainly hope you’re right.

It is yet to be proven.

9.8 from 34 inside 50's. You could argue it did deliver from limited opportunities.
If Watson kicks 2.1 instead of 0.3 suddenly the narrative is completely different.

The lack of delivery from our midfield was the major problem.

It is yet to be proven.
You really do pick the strangest arguments sometimes.

We’ve added four forward to the worst forward line in the competition but you don’t think that is a deliberate improvement of that area of the ground.

Ok mate.

We’ve added four forward to the worst forward line in the competition but you don’t think that is a deliberate improvement of that area of the ground.

Ok mate.
If you’d said us recruiting O’Meara, Mitchell and Wingard would see an improvement in our midfield after the three-peat, no doubt many would agree with you back then…..before it all played out.

I’m not being pedantic, I’m simply pointing out that it’s not a given that the addition of these players will result in a better performing forward line.

Ginnavin and Watson look very handy. Chol and Gunston are very much TBC.

If you’d said us recruiting O’Meara, Mitchell and Wingard would see an improvement in our midfield after the three-peat, no doubt many would agree with you back then…..before it all played out.

I’m not being pedantic, I’m simply pointing out that it’s not a given that the addition of these players will result in a better performing forward line.

Ginnavin and Watson look very handy. Chol and Gunston are very much TBC.
Pedantic.

Looks like all the positivity has gone out the window based on a practice match.

To put it in perspective, we all felt very confident heading into Round 1 in 2023 based on our "strong performance" against the Magpies in the practice match.. And then we come out and get spanked by 10 goals to the Bombers.
Not all the positivity. I am still positive just a lot more nervous about how we will perform

Are people really expecting a rapid rise up the ladder? I’m positive and optimistic but also under no illusions that we’re still a really young group that have undergone a huge amount of list change over the past few years. We’re gonna be inconsistent. We’re also going to be playing a lot of kids this year again.

I just want to see less of the blowouts and more of the good stuff which I’m pretty optimistic we’ll get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the HS today. If this contrast continues it will make a fun season. Bombing long, boys! Live for the glory! (I misread the stats at first glance, thinking we were massively conservative).

If Essendon dink it all day and we bomb long then I reckon round one will be a good day.

1709603215128.png

And we're more likely to kick over handballing than the Bombers. This is a nice trend, I reckon. Good to see the attacking mentality.

I also find it interesting that we're mid-table in terms of emphasis on handballing v kicking, but extreme on the length of the kick. Balanced decision-making and aggressive action on the decision.

Ok, I've talked myself into it. If our skills click and we can outrun our opponents, then by the end of games they'll be ragged and we'll be fierce. It's like a baseline tennis player switching shots targets from one corner to the other in order to wear his opponent out. I like it.

1709603441774.png

Mid-table playing on as well. This was unexpected. Essendon play on like it's going out of style. A lesson in not analysing stats in isolation, perhaps? The Bombers dinked it around with short kicks so much that the receiving player rarely was under pressure, but then they had to touch it so many more times and introduce chances for errors.

Oh, yeah, I'm really looking forward to round one now. It has the potential for an amazing clash in styles.

1709603655685.png

And look at the contrast with North. Sammy v Clarko. You can see the evolution in our club right there in three charts.

Looks like all the positivity has gone out the window based on a practice match.

To put it in perspective, we all felt very confident heading into Round 1 in 2023 based on our "strong performance" against the Magpies in the practice match.. And then we come out and get spanked by 10 goals to the Bombers.
So you're saying we're going to lose by 20 goals!

image.png

Last edited:
Reeves only played 58% of the game. Was he managed or just not fit.

I'd almost want Meek as 1st ruck if Reeves can't run out a game.
Go and watch the first quarter demolition job Marshall put on Meek late last year that led to 6 very quick unanswered goals from centre clearances, you’ll have a different opinion afterwards I’m sure

Aren't these from 1 match? you cannot determine any trends from that. Sometimes you just take the options they give you.

We can only use the data in front of us. We would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't argue Sammy is more attacking that Clarko was, especially in Clarksons last four or so years. The pre-season supports that observation. I cautiously agree but will not mortgage my house over it.

Not all the positivity. I am still positive just a lot more nervous about how we will perform
I get it 100%
Ive pretty much got used to ignoring praccy results/performances. Its hard not to get caught up in it all .

A lot of the discussion I see here is people over thinking and over analyzing everything.
Because we havent had a meaningful game in ages .

Ok mate.

What an old forward who is past it was a premiership forward for us but not anymore.

And another tall who still hasn’t made it and may turn more into a ruck/fwd who may turn into the next Vickery.

Really only added Ginnivan who has improved us.

What an old forward who is past it was a premiership forward for us but not anymore and an another tall who still hasn’t made it and may turn more into a ruck/fwd who may turn into the next Vickery.

Really only added Ginnivan who has improved us.
Do you need a hug?

Your miserable takes might just be concealing something more concerning.

Do you need a hug?

Your miserable takes might just be concealing something more concerning.
At least there’s some attempts at punctuation this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back