2nd Semi Final - Geelong v North Melbourne, MCG, 7.50pm Fri 12/9

Who will win - Geelong v North Melbourne?

• Geelong

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 71 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

geelong-v-north.gif
2014-geevnm-form-fw2.jpg 2014-geevnm-fw2-recent.png 2014-geevnm-fw2-stats.png
7:50 PM September 12, 2014, MCG
17° Partly cloudy.

#AFLCatsNorth​

Geelong Cats
Show your support on Facebook

B: Harry Taylor, Tom Lonergan, Jared Rivers
HB: Andrew Mackie, Corey Enright, Cameron Guthrie
C: James Kelly, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan
HF: Steven Motlop, Mitch Brown, Jordan Murdoch
F: Lincoln McCarthy, Tom Hawkins, Jimmy Bartel
Fol: Mark Blicavs, Josh Caddy, George Horlin-Smith
I/C: Mathew Stokes, Jackson Thurlow, Josh Walker, Travis Varcoe
Emg: Jed Bews, Brad Hartman, Billie Smedts
NO CHANGE
In: Mitch Brown, Lincoln McCarthy
Out: Hamish McIntosh (Knee), Steve Johnson (Foot)
Milestones: Mitch Duncan - 100th game

North Melbourne
Show your Support on Facebook

B: Luke McDonald, Scott D. Thompson, Michael Firrito
HB: Sam Wright, Nathan Grima, Shaun Atley
C: Nick Dal Santo, Andrew Swallow, Daniel Wells
HF: Levi Greenwood, Ben Brown, Brent Harvey
F: Lindsay Thomas, Drew Petrie, Aaron Black
Fol: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell
I/C: Ryan Bastinac, Sam Gibson, Jamie Macmillan, Kayne Turner
Emg: Ben Jacobs, Aaron Mullett, Joel Tippett
NO CHANGE
In: Brent Harvey
Out: Ben Jacobs (Omitted)

The 411

Chris Scott vs Brad Scott for the 7th time. Chris leads 4 games to 2.

North looking to exorcise the pain dealt out by Geelong.

Geelong's tackling average at about 70, North at around 64.

Geelong's strong marking inside 50 will challenge the Roos who are middle of the road in that stat.

The Scott brothers will not be swapping teams at half time "for lulz".

Last edited:
Hopefully it'll be a ripper game with no dumb umpire calls to ruin it. All the best to North & Geelong supporters as they prepare for the game. I think it's a fairly 50/50 call this one on who will win it. North have momentum and confidence, and the Catters will be looking to make amends from last week. I don't think either team is a flag threat at this stage, but getting this finals experience into the young blokes is important so they learn what's expected of them in future times when both clubs may be real challengers.

Naturally I'll tip the Cats by 17. But if North beat the Cats tonight I won't be surprised.

Scott vs Scott

Channel 7 would be loving this, tipping there to be more coaches box shots than ever before.

The result will largely depend on which good/bad version of each side decides to turn up tonight. If both sides are switched on then it's up for grabs. I would like to see North Melbourne win for something different (and strangely enough i think they would cause Sydney more nervous moments than Geelong would) however i think Geelong will win. Which would be pretty funny considering a lot of people thought the loss of Brent Harvey would dent North's chances.... they win without him, and now he's back in the side it would be funny if they lost with him back in.

If North are obviously switched on in the 1st quarter, it will be a great game.

If we are not, Geelong could and should put us to the torch.

Changes since the last two times these teams met

North
Jacobs -> Wright
Daw -> Ben Brown
Mullett -> Wells
Adams -> Turner
Hansen -> Grima

Geelong
Steve Johnson -> Thurlow
Alan Christianson -> Walker
Kerstan -> McCarthey
Simpson -> Brown

In for probably one of the worst commentated matches of the finals. I can already see the puns flying around.
At least BT isn't commentating, it made it hard to enjoy last week's win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We needed so much to go right last week against Hawthorn but so much went horribly wrong. Too many players just didn't perform the way they were expected. Tom Hawkins had a shocker, Steve Johnson was poor, Mitch Duncan was ineffective, Josh Caddy lacked his usual spark, Hamish McIntosh had a night to forget, Steven Motlop lost his way and Harry Taylor just couldn't get into the game. The positives? Well not many, but there were some. Josh Walker was lively, Mark Blicavs gets better and better and tried hard all night, and what can you say about Joel Selwood that has not been said a million times already. But by finishing in third position the Cats have at least earned a second chance, and history tells us they will win. Shocking as Geelong was against the Hawks, a top three or four finish for the season is no less than than the Cats deserve, but they have to be good enough to win the games that really matter, and that starts tonight.

So it's another do or die Friday night. Peliminary Final or bust and it will be tough. A resurgent North Melbourne full of confidence after its stunning come from behind win against Essendon, and a returning Boomer Harvey chomping at the bit, are waiting for the Cats. Geelong will have to do it without Stevie J and Bundy and have fitness doubts on Jordan Murdoch and a couple of others.

Surely we will see a different Geelong tonight and a different Tom Hawkins, and a much better contribution from players that went horribly missing last week. If not, the night will end in tears for Geelong.

The Kangaroos have been the focus of the media all week, confidence has been building and North expect to win. But over-confidence is a killer, and North, despite its confidence will still have to be at its best to beat a Geelong side which is hurting from its disappointing effort of last week against Hawthorn.

So come on Geelong, this is the final throw of the dice, let's do it. A preliminary final would be acknowledgement of a good season for a club that is supposed to be on the slide. The Cats are better than last weeks effort, we know that. Let's show the football world that there are a few of the nine lives left in the old warriors.

GOOD LUCK CATS

Changes since the last two times these teams met

North
Jacobs -> Wright Win
Daw -> Ben Brown Win
Mullett -> Wells Win
Adams -> Turner Draw
Hansen -> Grima Loss

Geelong
Steve Johnson -> Thurlow Loss
Alan Christianson -> McCarthey Loss
Kerstan -> Brown Loss
Simpson -> Walker Loss

That tells the story right there. North are fit and in form while Geelong have massive injury problems. If ever a team from the bottom 4 is going to make a prelim then tonight's the night.

Just wanna see no injuries or reports... and FFS no milking free kicks, just play the game! I hope the winner gives Sydney some nightmares!

Back