2nd Test New Zealand v Australia March 8-12 0830hrs @ Hagley Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand joins the ranks of teams not defined by outcomes.

“For us, we've always said as Blackcaps, we're not defined by the outcomes, we're defined by how we play cricket and hopefully how we inspire our country to play the game,” Mitchell told SEN Cricket.

Well look who captained them previously
th-3848972684.jpg

Gate money isn't where the big bucks are. Let's also not act like their test grounds aren't basically the Junction Oval
If you can't make money selling ~40k tickets for a 4 day match you've made terrible financial decisions. I'm not going to include travel and accom since it's a 2 match series but even including all those factors you should absolutely be breaking even. People make a lot more money selling much less tickets to events with similar costs.

I’m not saying he didn’t bat well, I’m saying as a player of his stature, being well in and in the situation the game was in, he needed to take it by the scruff and get the team over the line. The method for that was to bat with the tail, preserve his lesser batting partners as much as he could. He didn’t do that so I ascribe the loss to him. He was good but not good enough in that situation

It was the right call to back Starc, Cummins and to a lesser extent Lyon.

Carey made that exact decision today and it worked out brilliantly.

Smith was protecting Hazlewood. If he hadn’t have taken that single then all Joseph had to do was bowl a wider delivery or a short ball and the opportunity to take a single is gone and you leave the number 11 exposed for a full over. There were too many runs to get and at some point Hazlewood was going to have to face a ball or two.

If you can't make money selling ~40k tickets for a 4 day match you've made terrible financial decisions. I'm not going to include travel and accom since it's a 2 match series but even including all those factors you should absolutely be breaking even. People make a lot more money selling much less tickets to events with similar costs.
Hosting a test match can get pretty expensive. They are just going to have to get more eyes on screens

Smith was protecting Hazlewood. If he hadn’t have taken that single then all Joseph had to do was bowl a wider delivery or a short ball and the opportunity to take a single is gone and you leave the number 11 exposed for a full over. There were too many runs to get and at some point Hazlewood was going to have to face a ball or two.
Respectfully disagree - Smith was 100% seflish in that innings. Did he lose that match? * no, the rest of the useless batting lineup did. You can't blame the bowlers for having a shitshow in the batting lineup, but Smudge did absolutely sweet * all throughout the innings to protect the tail. That last over is NOT what I'm talking about. It was a pattern of behaviour not the single ball the nuffies point to.

Green made over 100 doing the same exact tactic as Smith. It just didn’t work out that day because Joseph was on fire.

Green made over 100 doing the same exact tactic as Smith. It just didn’t work out that day because Joseph was on fire.
Green absolutely protected the tail, Smith absolutely did not. Smith was putting the tail up at 1 or 2 every over, Green was putting them up at 4 or 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not saying he didn’t bat well, I’m saying as a player of his stature, being well in and in the situation the game was in, he needed to take it by the scruff and get the team over the line. The method for that was to bat with the tail, preserve his lesser batting partners as much as he could. He didn’t do that so I ascribe the loss to him. He was good but not good enough in that situation

That’s like blaming a football team’s 5 point defeat on a player who kicks 8 goals because he missed two shots in the final quarter.

How do you ascribe a loss to a player who’s contribution is the only reason you had a chance in the first place.

That’s like blaming a football team’s 5 point defeat on a player who kicks 8 goals because he missed two shots in the final quarter.

How do you ascribe a loss to a player who’s contribution is the only reason you had a chance in the first place.
It's completely fine to say someone did a poor job of an aspect of their work while being very successful. Smudge was the shining light of that innings - he still made mistakes and the biggest was his lack of protecting the tail.

Well look who captained them previously
View attachment 1925136
I have been to a few AFL Grand Finals, several 80-90k crowds, when the WWE was in but that moment Starc bowled McCullum, it was the loudest moment I have ever heard the MCG

I have been to a few AFL Grand Finals, several 80-90k crowds, when the WWE was in but that moment Starc bowled McCullum, it was the loudest moment I have ever heard the MCG
Sorry I've been informed Taylor Swift was, so you're wrong

Same I’ve been to 5 GFs, 6 PFs and a lot of footy and cricket nothing will ever beat that crowd noise for me. Unbelievable

Back