Opinion 4 Flag in a Row under Massive Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hawks have shown that you pick footballers over athletes.

This stupid idea AFL teams have of picking elite runners and trying to turn them into footballers is just absolute crap.

Can the bloke kick, handball and read the play...yes, pick him and then train him to get fit.

Hawthorn would be one of the slowest teams (by slow I mean running) but they transition the ball with great skills.

You can kick and handball the ball much faster than you can run!!!

PICK GOD DAMN FOOTBALLERS AND STOP PICKING ATHLETES!!!!

Meh. They scraped by first part of the season. Same with finals. A few convincing wins but not overall season. Cracks have appeared and will only grow bigger. Still gotta hand it to them, they stood up when it counted
Yeah Meh .. 3 flags in a row, 4 flags in 8 years..., 5 grand finals and a 3 point prelim loss in 8 years.... Meh. MEH I say

This stupid idea AFL teams have of picking elite runners and trying to turn them into footballers is just absolute crap.

Isaac Smith is an athlete over footballer, just happens that he fills a need in the team.

Hawks showed signs of decline this year, losing more matches than previous, finishing outside top 2, losing a final. The only reason they got it this year is that Freo finished the year poorly so couldn't mount a good final, and of course getting West Coast was a lucky break.
Things will really have to line up for them next year. I would think with Dixon going to Port, Port will be the team to beat next year.

Why does anyone care about a record from the 1920's? Just another example as to why we have been so unsuccessful over the last 60 years
I care about Collingwood's history and it's few remaining records and accomplishments. I'm not sure how you think that me as a mere supporter caring about this translates to a reason for our clubs relative lack of success over the last 60 years in winning premierships? Perhaps you'd be good enough to explain it to me?

Ok. Well carry on my dumb arse comments then.
I honestly don't think they will, they almost missed out this year and the list is only getting older. They will still have the edge in the finals but I would expect teams like the dogs tigers and us (if we do land Treloar and Aish) to go passed them in the home and away

The other thing that has really benefitted the Hawks is free agency. It came in right when the team was on the rise, and free agency was a free ticket for any good player in a crap club who wanted to finish off in a premiership. So Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley, etc all get a free ride and join the same club. Free agency was poorly thought out and until they change it the clubs at the top right now can keep regenerating their lists for nothing.

I honestly don't think they will, they almost missed out this year and the list is only getting older. They will still have the edge in the finals but I would expect teams like the dogs tigers and us (if we do land Treloar and Aish) to go passed them in the home and away

So you watched today and thought the Hawks were done? Ridiculous.

The other thing that has really benefitted the Hawks is free agency. It came in right when the team was on the rise, and free agency was a free ticket for any good player in a crap club who wanted to finish off in a premiership. So Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley, etc all get a free ride and join the same club. Free agency was poorly thought out and until they change it the clubs at the top right now can keep regenerating their lists for nothing.
Did;t Burgoyne go across there in 2009? He was pre- free agency, don't lump him in with the others.

Can the bloke kick, handball and read the play...yes, pick him and then train him to get fit.

Hawthorn would be one of the slowest teams (by slow I mean running) but they transition the ball with great skills.

You can kick and handball the ball much faster than you can run!!!

PICK GOD DAMN FOOTBALLERS AND STOP PICKING ATHLETES!!!!

That is the biggest myth in football.
Hawks have quite a few very quick players people just look at the Hodge, Mitchell and lewis trio and think slow but they are all medium pacers as well. Only Mitchell is claimed to be slow yet on field he makes space from oppoennts with a few quick steps if i had to guess he would have a decent 10-20m time and then slow down from there.

WC players were regularly being burnt by hawks players today for foot speed and they (wc) are considered a quick team.

Hill Smith Poupolo Rioli all very quick and then Gunston Roughead Gibson Shiell all have decent pace too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2015 was there worst home and away season since I think 2011, no doubt they will be good enough on the day to beat any side I just don't think they will be able to perform as well over a 22 game season
Hawthorn's percentage speaks for itself; never beaten by more than 4 goals in the H&A. Average losing margin of 10 points. Their wins tend to be blowouts, their losses are relatively very close. What signs are you talking about?

Hawthorn's percentage speaks for itself; never beaten by more than 4 goals in the H&A. Average losing margin of 10 points. Their wins tend to be blowouts, their losses are relatively very close. What signs are you talking about?
The fact that included the finals they lost 7 games that is a something they have not done since 2010

2015 was there worst home and away season since I think 2011, no doubt they will be good enough on the day to beat any side I just don't think they will be able to perform as well over a 22 game season

Wouldn't it be great if we had a season as bad as Hawthorn?

If they drop a few more next year then they don't make top 4

West Coast 2016, Brown and McKenzie back means McGovern can swing forward. They will be hard to stop
Not so sure, I don't think they have enough depth in the middle.
If Sheuy and Priddis don't star very little left unless they have some others coming up.

The Collingwood history is important, its a cherished past.
Guarantees nothing, thats true, but relishing the great times is paying tribute to those that went before.

Our tragedy, the great Collingwoodtragedy is that we lost so many close Grand Finals, not half and half but just about all of the close ones or even ones that we were in the game for a long time.
1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1981, 2002, 2011.

In fact the only close one we won since 1958, was 2010 the draw.

For all sorts of reasons but if we won say even 3 of them everything would lookso different.
Cant change the past but it was a cruel period for us, just saying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back