Preview AFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, 7:50PM Friday 5 September

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are people allowed to watch training? or only specific open sessions?

I have been to KP 4 times in the last 3 years on a "turn up and find an open gate" basis and have been kicked out twice . They are pretty strict. But come final they have little intellectual stuff to defend..........surely. Its all settled and training is for show.

I think this leniency on the Hawks and the 15 metres is the same as the Buddy Franklin natural arc,sort of short is our natural game plan,blind eye please.
Agree. Is cribbing 3m on the mark also in this "natural game" category.

Thurlow seems to be a very composed player under pressure but it's still a big ask to bring him in late in the season then expose him to the high pressure of finals. He's now played 3 in a row (1? as a sub)- but it's still tough on a player with just 8 games experience.

When he marks the ball he invariably takes his time to size up the options.
This makes him look cool and composed.
There were a number of times when he need to move the ball on quickly to open teammates streaming forward.
He chose to wait till defenders raced back then tried to pin point a pass to a player that was manned up.
He still has to learn when to go quick and to know when to take a risk.

His low clanger count are partly good skill but flattered by playing wide and playing it safe.
The opposite to McCarthy who takes risks trying to make things happen.

Last edited:
When he marks the ball he invariably takes his time to size up the options.
This makes him look cool and composed.
There were a number of times when he need to move the ball on quickly to open teammates streaming forward.
He chose to wait till defenders raced back then tried to pin point a pass to a player that was manned up.
He still has to learn when to go quick and to know when to take a risk.

His low clanger count are partly good skill but flattered by playing wide and playing it safe.
The opposite to McCarthy who takes risks trying to make thinks happen.
Yeah- that's something that will come with experience and perhaps his teammates nearby could've helped him out a little more when the opportunity arose. I noticed the same thing with Mitch Brown early on, as well- he took the mark but ignored a teammate running by and, by the time he kicked long, the defenders had flooded back. Such a shame but I guess the pressure to perform is on these guys more than ever now- perhaps they might have been willing to take more risks earlier in the season.

McCarthy will look a hero when it all clicks and his passes hit the intended targets. He looks like a quick thinker to me and he fits in well with the quick-flowing game plan. Hopefully he will figure it all out soon- what has he played now? 4 games? He'll make a good... dare I say it... Linc man... ;)

Groan (Sorry- couldn't resist!)

McCarthy who takes risks trying to make thinks happen.

Cut your post to cut to the chase as it were, like both these guys (Thurlow & McCarthy) and I know we've needed a crumber, agree with Teri in that I think McCarthy is a more games/next year prospect..

Did well but looked a little frantic at times *shrugs* my opinion only..

Last edited:
It won't happen. The umps will call play on for anything short of 15m when we are playing the ball out of defence but call a mark for Hawthorn's 10m diagonal kicks into our 50.
I think this leniency on the Hawks and the 15 metres is the same as the Buddy Franklin natural arc,sort of short is our natural game plan,blind eye please.
Agree. Is cribbing 3m on the mark also in this "natural game" category.

It's up to our coach to instruct the players to be more aware of the Hawks tactics
Especially the cribbing the mark and exploit it by going back and turning to play on quickly,
Point it out to the umpire to get a 50m penalty.
Point out any player that encroaches within the 5m exclusion zone.
Follow through the tackle for a short pass in our back 50m. Remonstrate if a 50m penalty is awarded.
It will be worth it as it will make the umpires less likely to repeat the mistake.
Give them a whack to draw retaliation and a reversal when they have a shot at goal.
Start a scuffle if any of our players is hit hard, late or off the ball.
Hale has a tendency to push and hold in the ruck contest, Blitz needs to exaggerate this.
If we can unsettle the Hawk players .... good

If we win on Friday night, the Hawks board is going to go into meltdown.
They think we are easy beats, and so does the rest of the AFL.
I'd love to see the look on the faces of Hawks supporters if we win.

I'd love for an umpiring decision to go our way (like a 50m penalty) to be made with 3 mins to go,
when we are up by 15 points or so.
The MCG would probably explode with all of the booing that would occur, it would be beyond halirious!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a dream last night that Lewis gave away a free for tackling Selwood high in the middle of the ground... A 50m penalty was paid against Mitchell for arguing and Selwood kicked the winning goal from 20m out.

I can't remember what happened after that, I think it was the apocalypse...

I had a dream last night that Lewis gave away a free for tackling Selwood high in the middle of the ground... A 50m penalty was paid against Mitchell for arguing and Selwood kicked the winning goal from 20m out.

I can't remember what happened after that, I think it was the apocalypse...

A hilarious post, with a classic closing line!! :D :thumbsu:

That will never happen - the rule seems to be that the bigger & stronger the forward, the more the defender is allowed to hold & impede.
I actually think the umpires have been looking at the holding tactics on Hawkins more closely. In fact I think he's doubled his free kick count for being held from 2 last season to 4 this year!! ;)

Seriously though- he's won a few. Once the umps pay one or two frees to him quickly in a game, his opponent backs off a little and you know what happens when you give the Big Tomahawk an inch??!!!

I'd like a bit more of the umpiring that we got early in the Freo and North games :) Pity it didn't last for the whole game, though.

My favoured scenario would have Selwood goaling from a free to give us the lead followed by Puopolo being denied a free 20m out from goal after clearly ducking.

Hawks: kfhgahfkduywhskfhjakakxidiej

Pumped for this game.
Im going and its the first game il be seeing this year. Il be sitting in GA area with my imported wife. Will be her first game ever and im looking forward to explaining the game to her. The most important thing is we just try our best win lose or draw and the best team gets selected, and that im not sitting near any nasty hawks fans. Cant stand Brian Lake and I hope we dont let him go on a choking spree

Pumped for this game.
Im going and its the first game il be seeing this year. Il be sitting in GA area with my imported wife. Will be her first game ever and im looking forward to explaining the game to her. The most important thing is we just try our best win lose or draw and the best team gets selected, and that im not sitting near any nasty hawks fans. Cant stand Brian Lake and I hope we dont let him go on a choking spree

Is she of the plastic variety?

Great.
So someone pulls a bay 13 comment into the preview thread of our most important game of the year and everyone goes off track.
And some people question why off topic s**t pisses people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back