AFL Father - Son Bidding System

Remove this Banner Ad

Alfredo Rojas

Pain&Gain
Jun 21, 2014
Altona
AFL Club
GWS
Do you think AFL should of gone ahead with bidding system?

I reckon should have, Darcey Moore no real ties to Pies, think AFL should also allow Demons to bid as father Peter was also a Brownlow medalist at the Dees as at Pies... I think AFL was mocking integrity of this system by saying possibility of being enforced this year. as a Blues fan think that we should be able to outbid Pies with pick #5 or #6 instead of pick #09, same should go to Dees

Swings and roundabouts, I wouldn't change anything this year, but yes, if a F/S is eligible for more than 1 club, then he should go to the club that is willing to pay the most.

This would stay true to the ideal that a son should be able to play at his father's club and be the fairer outcome for all

I am mostly happy with the current system, but there are two changes that I would make. They would only effect a team that try to recruit multiple father-sons/ academy players in the same year.

1) If a team A has already used there first round pick to match a successful bid, and another team (B) bids a first round pick on a player then then team A can't match the bid on the second player and the player goes to team (B).

2) If a team A has already used a pick to match a successful bid, and another team (B) bids a round pick on a player that would otherwise be matched by the pick that team A has already used, Then team A must match the bid with a higher round pick. If it can't use a higher pick( if for example it's already been used on an earlier bid) then the player goes to team (B).

I reckon should have, Darcey Moore no real ties to Pies, think AFL should also allow Demons to bid as father Peter was also a Brownlow medalist at the Dees as at Pies... I think AFL was mocking integrity of this system by saying possibility of being enforced this year. as a Blues fan think that we should be able to outbid Pies with pick #5 or #6 instead of pick #09, same should go to Dees

Moore has no real ties to the Pies!!!

That's interesting. I thought his father's 172 games for Collingwood created some tie to the club. His 77 at Melbourne also created a tie there. But 172 qualifies him , 77 not so much.

Darcey Moore no real ties to Pies,

Just to be clear, we are talking about Darcey Moore right? The bloke who's father captained Collingwood for a couple of years? Was on their list for about 8 years? Won a Brownlow with them, played 172 games? Kicked around 200 goals?

D.Moore has closer ties to Collingwood than D.Buckley has to Carlton.

Just to be clear, we are talking about Darcey Moore right? The bloke who's father captained Collingwood for a couple of years? Was on their list for about 8 years? Won a Brownlow with them, played 172 games? Kicked around 200 goals?

I think Alfredo's ties to reality are somewhat tenuous.

Nah sorry pal. Buckley Snr was a one club, triple premiership playing legend. You wouldn't understand ;)

Which brings up an interesting point. Being a hundred game player isn't all that impressive in the scheme of things, but that alone gets the f/s go-ahead, while Warren McKenzie, who was a premiership player with the Blues, falls 33 short of the 100 game mark and his boy can't get a look in this year. While it would be a disadvantage for less successful clubs, I reckon being a premiership player should mean something more when it comes to f/s.

Funny saying the Moore should not go to Collingwood and coming from a Blues Supporter:rolleyes:

Moore has no real ties to the Pies!!!

That's interesting. I thought his father's 172 games for Collingwood created some tie to the club. His 77 at Melbourne also created a tie there. But 172 qualifies him , 77 not so much.

and Didn’t he win a Brownlow and Copeland and Collingwood?

Nah sorry pal. Buckley Snr was a one club, triple premiership playing legend. You wouldn't understand ;)

Which brings up an interesting point. Being a hundred game player isn't all that impressive in the scheme of things, but that alone gets the f/s go-ahead, while Warren McKenzie, who was a premiership player with the Blues, falls 33 short of the 100 game mark and his boy can't get a look in this year. While it would be a disadvantage for less successful clubs, I reckon being a premiership player should mean something more when it comes to f/s.

Well that is Bad Luck then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So teams like the Bulldogs, Saints, even Richmond are effectively locked out of fs? And club champions like Buckley and Harvey? Yeah, nah.

Dawes > Riewoldt then?

Great logic mate.

Now now Cybil, no need to go off on bizarre, dissociative tangents. We weren't talking about which player was better, we were talking about ties to the football club. Being a one-club legend and triple premiership player does actually mean something. Given Dawes isn't even a one-club player, I'm not sure how you think you can include the word logic in your post anywhere.

So teams like the Bulldogs, Saints, even Richmond are effectively locked out of fs? And club champions like Buckley and Harvey? Yeah, nah.
I think he's suggestion premiership players get added to 100 game players are eligible fathers.

Somewhat reasonable but probably unfair for a guy who played 30 or 40 games even with a premiership to claim a substantial link to the club above most 100 game players. Sure fans will remember the occasional guy who didn't play many games but had a huge influence in a game final like a Stewie Dew but there will be a lot of Mitch Morton, Steven Armstrong etc premiership players who really did little else for the club. The bulk of premiership players play 100 games and therefor will be eligible.

It's neither good luck or bad luck. It just is. Not sure how that observation adds to the idea of offering premiership players more f/s recognition though.

Well there be good players who played less then 100 games at teams that never won a Flag or won big Awards but still were good players for there Club.

It is Luck of the Draw really

What? Why? How did you arrive at the conclusion you couldn't draft Buckley's kid based on what I posted?

Some genuinely peculiar replies from Collingwood posters here tonight.

and Some Stupid Carlton fan Started the Thread

I think he's suggestion premiership players get added to 100 game players are eligible fathers.

I'm glad someone understands it.

Somewhat reasonable but probably unfair for a guy who played 30 or 40 games even with a premiership to claim a substantial link to the club above most 100 game players. Sure fans will remember the occasional guy who didn't play many games but had a huge influence in a game final like a Stewie Dew but there will be a lot of Mitch Morton, Steven Armstrong etc premiership players who really did little else for the club. The bulk of premiership players play 100 games and therefor will be eligible.

I don't agree. Guys like Adrian Whitehead and Brad Pearce stand out in my mind 20 years later more than most 100 game players who didn't feature in a flag and those players will still be attending club premiership reunions decades later. Let's say Carlton don't win another flag for 50 years, Whitehead might end up being Carlton's only living premiership player which will be accompanied by great recognition. I just think given this is what all players play for and what all clubs exist for, it could be given some recognition when it comes to the f/s ruling. I'm not suggesting that all premiership player's sons qualify, but perhaps some games discount might apply; maybe 50 games and a flag. I understand this disadvantages a club like StKilda or the Bulldogs and hence is flawed, but I'm just thinking aloud.

Even if a Melbourne were eligible, Darcy would nominate the pies as his club of choice. He's grown up as a pies fan, his old man is on the record saying that he regrets leaving the pies for the demons.

The father/son system is what it is. Every club gets lucky with it at some stage or another, and frankly, the pies will barely be paying below market value for him, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

The Academy system however, is a whole different kettle of fish...

Even if a Melbourne were eligible, Darcy would nominate the pies as his club of choice. He's grown up as a pies fan, his old man is on the record saying that he regrets leaving the pies for the demons.

The father/son system is what it is. Every club gets lucky with it at some stage or another, and frankly, the pies will barely be paying below market value for him, so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

The Academy system however, is a whole different kettle of fish...

The Video of when Peter said that:

As a side note, Sam Weideman will be eligible to be drafted next year. His family is synonymous with the pies, but his old man didn't play enough games to qualify. He will likely go first round, and the pies are a good chance to miss out on him.

It is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back