Preview AFL Round 13 - Sydney v Geelong, SCG, 7.50PM Friday 22 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Varcoe?

Has anyone got an update?

Best as we know he will probably be back a week or two after the bye but he will need to come through the vfl given how much footy he has missed.

When we drop him in at senior level will be interesting because we have a tough run home and we need him but on the other hand we can't afford to rush him.

At home on the couch. Zing!

Goodes will probably play deep, so Mackie wouldn't want to be left in a marking contest. What about Scarlett to Goodes?
Probably more of a backup than plan A. If Scarlo goes to Goodes he has to pay far more respect to him, than say LRT, who he can run off a bit more.

Goodes will probably play deep, so Mackie wouldn't want to be left in a marking contest. What about Scarlett to Goodes?

Depends whether Goodes also plays up the ground, and if so whether they want to have one opponent for him when he's forward and another when he's in the mid, or just one guy all over the ground. If the former then he'll get Scarlett or Taylor when forward, if the latter then guys like Mackie or maybe even Corey could probably run with him everywhere.

Personally I'd prefer the former model though as I think he will play mostly forward, with someonbe else to pick him up when he goes into the midfield.

Disagree, but whatever
Not really sure what there is to disagree with.....Stringer has played a couple of nice cameos' but has been far short of the output that Bundy has demonstrated consistently. At the moment Stringer provides us with a good depth option, but he is not within our best 22 makeup.

As for comments regarding Mackie, I found it interesting that Scott actually used him as a wing option against Carlton. Played a much more floating role allowing Wojack to take traditional half back flank. Not sure if we will see this more going forward.....as for Mackie in marking contests, i don't know where people get the idea that he is weak or not very good overhead. He would almost have to be one of our most courageous....if you are looking for evidence just replay the 2009 GF first quarter to get a glimpse of what he is capable of.

I would actually like to see Corey run with Goodes when he goes through the middle and Scarlett to pick him up in forward 50. He is a champion player but we can contain him and have done many times before.

Hunt will now play and I think is a great matchup for McGlynn who has been very dangerous.

If Goodes is sticking in the goalsquare, Lonergan would probably be the matchup, Taylor to Reid and Scarlett to Mumford/LRT. That's what I'd do, anyway. Lonergan is quick, he's good body on body and he's bigger than Goodes. If Mumford and LRT are both in the forwardline, it would probably have to be Mackie to Reid, Taylor to LRT and Scarlett to Mumford.

Not really sure what there is to disagree with.....Stringer has played a couple of nice cameos' but has been far short of the output that Bundy has demonstrated consistently. At the moment Stringer provides us with a good depth option, but he is not within our best 22 makeup.

Why wouldn't we take out someone like Guthrie instead? Maybe we could rest an older guy?

But nah gotta play our absolute best available 22 every week.

Goodes was listed as 2-3 weeks away late last week. Is he a certainty to play?

I'm really excited about the game, I rate Sydney a lot but we match up fairly well with them and if we're able to regain Pods and Christensen we'll field the best team we've had all season.

Why wouldn't we take out someone like Guthrie instead? Maybe we could rest an older guy?

But nah gotta play our absolute best available 22 every week.
Yeah, could drop Guthrie, but i would suggest match committee are more keen on his development, especially given that he plays half.back. With wojack in, then this could work.

Not sure who would be Guthries direct matchup against Swans so might be worth playing extra mid....although i still suggest unlikely as Guthrie has been good and consistent throughout year.

Yeah, could drop Guthrie, but i would suggest match committee are more keen on his development, especially given that he plays half.back. With wojack in, then this could work.

Not sure who would be Guthries direct matchup against Swans so might be worth playing extra mid....although i still suggest unlikely as Guthrie has been good and consistent throughout year.

Guthrie has been solid but he may be due for general soreness... out of all our young guys like Motlop, T Hunt and Smedts, he's the only one to have played every game this year.

I'm really excited about the game, I rate Sydney a lot but we match up fairly well with them and if we're able to regain Pods and Christensen we'll field the best team we've had all season.
John Longmire in a press conference last week said he is expecting Goodes to return after the bye, whether that be the Geelong or GWS game is unclear. Any slight doubt from Goodes in a full training session means we won't risk him at his age. Going on reports, he has been running for a couple of weeks now, so I'd expect he'd just have to get through training to play, about a 80% chance IMO as his value to the side is immense, especially against such a quality outfit like the Cats, his return will be long-awaited.

The team i would like to see.

B: Scarlett Lonergan Mackie
HB: Enright Taylor Wojcinski
C: Kelly Selwood Christenson
HF: Chapman Hawkins Bartel
F: Johnson Podsiadly Stokes

R: Simpson Corey Duncan

INT: West, Motlop, T.Hunt

SUB: Stringer

IN: Simpson, Podsiadly, Christensen
OUT:Stephenson, J.Hunt, Guthrie(extra rest)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie has been solid but he may be due for general soreness... out of all our young guys like Motlop, T Hunt and Smedts, he's the only one to have played every game this year.

I tend to agree but you can't really call it general soreness a week after the bye.

I was surprised they didn't rest him against GWS but now that they didn't, and he played well on friday, you'd expect him to play next week.

Not so sure we still match up that well. Our rucks are comparatively deficient, they have pace galore, maybe I'm reading too much into the respective teams' last performances, but...

When was the last time we played at the SCG?

I actually think the small ground will work to our advantage with the style of football we play.

Not so sure we still match up that well. Our rucks are comparatively deficient, they have pace galore, maybe I'm reading too much into the respective teams' last performances, but...

Our rucks are comparatively deficient yes, but Mumford is coming back from injury and spent most of the Essendon game up forward in a sign he's not 100% fit yet.

On face value there may be some good head to heads -

Selwood v Kennedy
Kelly v Bolton
Enright v O'Keefe
Lonergan v Reid
Hawkins v Richards
Wojcinski v Jetta (would love to see it happen!)
Scarlett v Goodes

For what it's worth, before Sydney beat us in round 23 last year we'd won nine in a row against them.

When was the last time we played at the SCG?

I actually think the small ground will work to our advantage with the style of football we play.

Round 4 last year... we won by 27 points. Chapman BOG, Wojcinski kicked a couple of looooong goals from the midfield.

and Stevie had a couple of his trademark snaps from the boundary.

Round 4 last year... we won by 27 points. Chapman BOG, Wojcinski kicked a couple of looooong goals from the midfield.
My mistake. I was under the impression that match was played at ANZ.

I think the ground suits our style although their running players ala Jetta, Malceski will need to be nullified. Give them any space on a small ground and they'll carve us up.

Breaking even in the contested possesion count is of utmost importance. Get smashed in this area and we get pantsed.

I move back to Geelong next week so i may leave Friday and stay overnight in Sydney.

The team i would like to see.

B: Scarlett Lonergan Mackie
HB: Enright Taylor Wojcinski
C: Kelly Selwood Christenson
HF: Chapman Hawkins Bartel
F: Johnson Podsiadly Stokes

R: Simpson Corey Duncan

INT: West, Motlop, T.Hunt

SUB: Stringer

IN: Simpson, Podsiadly, Christensen
OUT:Stephenson, J.Hunt, Guthrie(extra rest)

No way MC will drop J. Hunt
Like it or not he is seen as hands down best 22. Also I think they'll stick with the big O for a couple of games yet, unless they decide 1 ruck is enough with Mumford not peaking yet and on a small ground where Taylor/Hawkins etc can pinch-hit in the ruck.

So put J. Hunt on the bench and T.Hunt as sub. Then swap Big O for Simpson.
If one ruck is the go then Stringer comes back in.

About a month ago I thought Guthrie was going through a slump in form/confidence - I thought he was bound to be rested. But they kept picking him and I think he has climbed out the other side and is again playing confidently and strongly.
Says something about the merits of an extended run in the seniors if the circumstances can support it.

No way MC will drop J. Hunt
Like it or not he is seen as hands down best 22. Also I think they'll stick with the big O for a couple of games yet, unless they decide 1 ruck is enough with Mumford not peaking yet and on a small ground where Taylor/Hawkins etc can pinch-hit in the ruck.

So put J. Hunt on the bench and T.Hunt as sub. Then swap Big O for Simpson.
If one ruck is the go then Stringer comes back in.

You're probably right, but if he continues to tackle one handed in defence we're in trouble.

We need to win the clearances on a small SCG ground so i think Simpson should come in. It's not a big ground so his lack of match fitness shouldn't be too much of an issue. He'll give us first use of the ball, Mumford has lost some spring.

If Bundy is fit.. will they recall him to the seniors or will the throw him back in the VFL again? :(

Better off to bring him in and field our best team that we can for this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back