Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ins: Lonergan, Blease, Gore

Out: Walker (omit), Cockatoo (rested), Murdoch (omit)

I am assuming Stokes and Mackie won't be fit to come back but Lonners will. I would like to see Walker retained but I think he is the one they will take out for Lonergan.

We need to improve the midfield, time to try Gore in that regard. I would be leaving out Enright who looks like he needs a rest and Kelly who I think is struggling a bit but with our injuries we don't have enough quality replacements to do that. They should be rested once the injured guys are back.

Hard to know who they bring in as there was no vfl game for guys to push their case but Murdoch was poor again and I think Blease deserves an opportunity in that spot. Cockatoo needs a rest. I would do the same with Lang except that his forward pressure is quite good and this is one area we are weak in.

For a start OUT: Murdoch In: Anyone on the list, even a 1 legged Jimmy;)

There are a few deadweights in the team at present but we can't carry his turgid performances anymore. Enough is enough. Get some VFL form Murda and then come back!

Ins: Lonergan, Blease, Gore

Out: Walker (omit), Cockatoo (rested), Murdoch (omit)
That's exactly what I'd do but I expect they'll keep Murdoch and Cockatoo. They might drop GHS but I wouldn't.

Ins: Kolodjashnij, Blease, Gore, Kersten
Outs: Clark (managed), Murdoch, Kelly, Lang

Big Lang fan here but he only laid 1 tackle today. I'm all for playing the kids, just as long as we can rotate youth for youth, it's all good.
Why Kelly out or Clark managed. Do you want to play for the spoon?

Edit: I guess you're assuming Kelly will cop a week for his punch?

That's exactly what I'd do but I expect they'll keep Murdoch and Cockatoo. They might drop GHS but I wouldn't.

Cockatoo they might keep in because it's a development year, although I think he would benefit more from a rest and then a full game in the 2s, but surely they can't keep Murdoch in, he's not giving the defensive pressure he used to and has lost all confidence and is just delivering clangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cockatoo they might keep in because it's a development year, although I think he would benefit more from a rest and then a full game in the 2s, but surely they can't keep Murdoch in, he's not giving the defensive pressure he used to and has lost all confidence and is just delivering clangers.
You don't need to convince me!

Murdoch has been really badly handled. He was out of form and instead of letting him find touch in the VFL they just hoped he'd come good in the AFL. All the while we had Blease and Gore playing decent footy in the VFL.

He needs a month in the VFL to get his confidence back.

If you look into the CE crystal ball, is Horlin-Smith in our team two years from now?
Conditional yes.

Yes if he gets a good run at it this year. No if he spends the year in and out of the side.

Conditional yes.

Yes if he gets a good run at it this year. No if he spends the year in and out of the side.

I look at sides like Port and the Bulldogs who seem to represent the way footy is going. They have a raft of elite running mids that can win their own footy. Horlin-Smith, to me, would have been a very good 80's player. I'm concerned that his lack of speed will limit his ceiling. Unless we play on a small, bog track then his inability to chase or spread will be a liability to us. I hope I'm very wrong.

Why Kelly out or Clark managed. Do you want to play for the spoon?

Edit: I guess you're assuming Kelly will cop a week for his punch?

I think Bews, Thurlow and Enright are good enough in defence without the need for Kelly helping out back there. I would like to see Gore get a run through midfield. That should happen if Kelly is managed this week.

I would also like to pump games into Josh Walker. Yes, he has his haters, but he needs to get upto about 40 games by seasons end. We should have a really good idea as to whether or not he is made for it. If not, he will have better currency for trade.
However, Clark moved into the middle as our no.1 ruck would open up a spot for Walker down forward. He looks a much better player when he's just got Hawkins beside him.

I look at sides like Port and the Bulldogs who seem to represent the way footy is going. They have a raft of elite running mids that can win their own footy. Horlin-Smith, to me, would have been a very good 80's player. I'm concerned that his lack of speed will limit his ceiling. Unless we play on a small, bog track then his inability to chase or spread will be a liability to us. I hope I'm very wrong.
It's funny, there's no doubt he's as slow as a wet week, but I rarely see it being a problem for him. He fumbles, he makes skill errors, he goes missing, but rarely do I think it is as a result of his slowness. I know others think his slowness means he is under pressure more but I haven't really seen that.

He's never going to be an elite mid. I'm fairly certain of that. But he can be a solid player until elite mids squeeze him out. At this rate, it will be a few years yet before we have them on our list.

I don't think Horlin Smith will ever be an A grade mid but at this stage we are struggling to even find B grade mids that can help Selwood win the footy, at least he can do that.

Our list will have improved when we get to a point where he is bypassed and surplus to needs, but we are a way off that at present I think.

You don't need to convince me!

Murdoch has been really badly handled. He was out of form and instead of letting him find touch in the VFL they just hoped he'd come good in the AFL. All the while we had Blease and Gore playing decent footy in the VFL.

He needs a month in the VFL to get his confidence back.

I don't think Murdoch is done as a player, he has been good in his first 50 games, but he lacks game sense and so what covers that is when he works well as a defensive player who hits opposition forwards hard and straight lines the ball when there is a chance to use his speed to create space. At the moment because he's out of confidence he's not doing those things so not much use. Needs to go back to the 2s to find some confidence, and we may as well give Blease a go, he has been performing as well as we could expect in the 2s.

I don't think Murdoch is done as a player, he has been good in his first 50 games, but he lacks game sense and so what covers that is when he works well as a defensive player who hits opposition forwards hard and straight lines the ball when there is a chance to use his speed to create space. At the moment because he's out of confidence he's not doing those things so not much use. Needs to go back to the 2s to find some confidence, and we may as well give Blease a go, he has been performing as well as we could expect in the 2s.
Yep, agree he's not done as a player but persisting with him isn't doing him any favours. Let him get some confidence then reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back