Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the point in looking at and comparing the cases and deaths from 2020 and 2021? There were no vaccines and we had lockdowns. We were chasing covid zero.

We’ve now completely opened up.

Did you expect the numbers to remain stable in 2022?
they've grown exponentially. your 'blind eye' approach is flawed.

are you talking about the article or the post
my hurried and poor response was 2 point out :

1. it was a false equivalence.

2. i don't think it would be 2 big an ask 4 aussies 2 do the same should we have been as reckless as the chinese in mishandling the matter.

3. i, and most of the peeps i know, do a covid antigen test b4 we fly anywhere. doesn't seem 2 much to ask and is the responsible thing 2 do.

hope that covers it.

1. It's not false. We're requiring people from China to take a measure to travel here that we in Victoria can't access today unless a doctor gives us a referral.

2. If we were asking every country to do this then fine, whatever. I'd strongly disagree with that but at least it'd be a consistent approach. But we haven't done this for anyone except China.

3. If other countries did the same then you'd need to pay for a PCR test, your rapid test wouldn't be accepted.

I was okay with the measures taken in 2020 and 2021 until vaccine access was rolled out but they were completely unsustainable long-term unless covid was the only thing that mattered in life.

well, we all choose from where we take advice. i prefer peeps who have records of achievement in health. but each 2 his/her own.

While I appreciate Dr Ryan's credentials, she has a neurology background and probably not a patient flow/ bed access perspective. What is really important is hospitalisation numbers/ ICU admissions and deaths; and given that we already have a fairly high number of hospitalisations adding extra travellers (who obviously are feeling well enough to travel) is unlikely to make a material difference to current hospitalisations. That and if they get hospitalised they do pay (either via travel insurance or out of pocket); so only a concern if there was evidence of travellers being a significant proportion of hospital admissions for COVID (which from my experience in day to day ED flow they are not)

well, we all choose from where we take advice. i prefer peeps who have records of achievement in health. but each 2 his/her own.

It’s a fact that we are going through the smallest wave of the year. So don’t start discrediting other “peeps”.

And you are agreeing with pre-testing all travellers and to add more restrictions?

Mind boggling.

While I appreciate Dr Ryan's credentials, she has a neurology background and probably not a patient flow/ bed access perspective. What is really important is hospitalisation numbers/ ICU admissions and deaths; and given that we already have a fairly high number of hospitalisations adding extra travellers (who obviously are feeling well enough to travel) is unlikely to make a material difference to current hospitalisations. That and if they get hospitalised they do pay (either via travel insurance or out of pocket); so only a concern if there was evidence of travellers being a significant proportion of hospital admissions for COVID (which from my experience in day to day ED flow they are not)
she has had decades of hands-on experience and remains in close contact with those at the coalface as i understand it.

It’s a fact that we are going through the smallest wave of the year. So don’t start discrediting other “peeps”.

And you are agreeing with pre-testing all travellers and to add more restrictions?

Mind boggling.
i'm saying it's not silly 2 act with caution. the numbers in many countries with whom we have major tourism links are seeing major increases, not only china. and we admit 2 not knowing the full extent of our issues. long covid included. silly is your 'it'll b okay' mantra.

i'm saying it's not silly 2 act with caution. the numbers in many countries with whom we have major tourism links are seeing major increases, not only china. and we admit 2 not knowing the full extent of our issues. long covid included. silly is your 'it'll b okay' mantra.

When did I say it’ll be okay? I’m a realist. I’ve already agreed with testing Chinese tourists on here as long as the main reason is to not add further burden on our health system.

On one hand we have our very own CMO who has already stated there’s no real concern, despite us adding restrictions for Chinese travellers.
But then on the other you choose to follow someone elses opinion who thinks we should test ALL travellers. Is she more qualified than Kelly?

There’s good reasons on both sides. Only you choose to disregard the one you don’t like.
Next you’ll be telling us Paul Kelly isn’t qualified.

Last edited:
she has had decades of hands-on experience and remains in close contact with those at the coalface as i understand it.
Yes, but her decades are again neurology not ED. I probably am quibbling (obviously she is in a better position to judge these things than 99% of political types), just maybe doesn't know as much as me (who also has decades of experience etc)

I will also add, she is paediatric neurology, where covid has had less of a direct patient impact (not minimising the real issues of staffing caused by covid in nurses and doctors looking after kids)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With some flights out of China arriving with around 50% testing positive, even if they don't end up in hospital themselves, how many cases will those hundreds of arrivals a day cause through spread (despite individually probably being more careful with masks than most tourists)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
With some flights out of China arriving with around 50% testing positive, even if they don't end up in hospital themselves, how many cases will those hundreds of arrivals a day cause through spread (despite individually probably being more careful with masks than most tourists)

Probably not enough to be noticed among the current background infection rate (given that we also are not mass testing or reporting) most pcr are done for hospital admissions

1. It's not false. We're requiring people from China to take a measure to travel here that we in Victoria can't access today unless a doctor gives us a referral.

2. If we were asking every country to do this then fine, whatever. I'd strongly disagree with that but at least it'd be a consistent approach. But we haven't done this for anyone except China.

3. If other countries did the same then you'd need to pay for a PCR test, your rapid test wouldn't be accepted.

I was okay with the measures taken in 2020 and 2021 until vaccine access was rolled out but they were completely unsustainable long-term unless covid was the only thing that mattered in life.
The core issue at hand is other countries post transparent data, particularly genomic data, which the WHO can analyse and track.

China are refusing to.

Last edited:
When did I say it’ll be okay? I’m a realist. I’ve already agreed with testing Chinese tourists on here as long as the main reason is to not add further burden on our health system.

On one hand we have our very own CMO who has already stated there’s no real concern, despite us adding restrictions for Chinese travellers.
But then on the other you choose to follow someone elses opinion who thinks we should test ALL travellers. Is she more qualified than Kelly?

There’s good reasons on both sides. Only you choose to disregard the one you don’t like.
Next you’ll be telling us Paul Kelly isn’t qualified.
Paul Kelly is notorious for being overly conservative/reactive with his decision making.

This is also an issue with ATAGI.

I think we are the only developed nation that is allowing vaccines to expire rather than letting people get a 5th shot with an Omicron specific booster.

It's rapidly looking like a non decision, might just require a RAT to be done and if they arrive and are suddenly positive, they will just be asked to stay home. sounds like classic fence sitting trying to please those who care about safety but not upset the money. Really thought Albo was better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back