Anti-Australia ABC does it again - Dapto Dogs under threat!

Remove this Banner Ad

no natural would be removing the muzzle, that's just ******* with the dog.

Muzzle Laws are left over from the 20's when the concentration of racing Greyhounds was high in the suburbs. Introduced because the local cats were getting chewed up regularly.

True story.

Don't get upset. I was just stating a fact.

I'm not upset. I've had grehounds for 25+ years.

You've never had one. You don't know s**t :)

I'm not upset. I've had grehounds for 25+ years.

You've never had one. You don't know s**t :)
You've never even seen a greyhound in your life.
You just think you have, from the time you saw a prairie dog at the zoo.

You don't know s**t,ut you sure do shout about what people don't know. Insecurities I guess.

Fact.

It is normal though. Very normal. We've been killing animals for a great many purposes over the centuries.

Just because you don't like it or condone it has zero relevance to its "normality".

You seem to consider yourself normal. Yet where have you started a thread nor been present in one condoning state sanctioned killing of animals through "cruel" methods? You're complicit with state sanctioned killing.

After all, unless someone lives under a rock we all know rabbits and foxes get baited to death and have for a long long time.
It is normal for a maladjusted individual or a psychopath, perhaps.

The killing isn't the issue here, it has never been. It is the why and the how.

It's not just me who doesn't like it. There are plenty of people who don't, and this is a clear view of its intolerance considering that what they did was actually illegal and why they are in trouble with the police in the first place. The police don't raid your property at a whim.

I don't need to start threads or post on message boards to express my disgust (or care) about other issues of animal cruelty. Again you are trying to deflect away from the central issues on this thread.

The issue of baits was addressed earlier, I see no reason to repeat myself. But I'll say this again: one instance of animal cruelty doesn't make another okay.

You've never even seen a greyhound in your life.
You just think you have, from the time you saw a prairie dog at the zoo.

You don't know s**t,ut you sure do shout about what people don't know. Insecurities I guess.

Fact.

2ryit5v.jpg

It is normal for a maladjusted individual or a psychopath, perhaps.
So farmers, abbatoir workers etc are all psychopaths?

It's not just me who doesn't like it. There are plenty of people who don't, and this is a clear view of its intolerance considering that what they did was actually illegal and why they are in trouble with the police in the first place. The police don't raid your property at a whim.

I don't need to start threads or post on message boards to express my disgust (or care) about other issues of animal cruelty. Again you are trying to deflect away from the central issues on this thread.

The central issue is the hypocrisy for me. From so many of the parties involved.

The issue of baits was addressed earlier, I see no reason to repeat myself. But I'll say this again: one instance of animal cruelty doesn't make another okay.

And I'll ask again, why have you said or done nothing about it like you have in this thread despite it being well know for 30+ years?

Society has said it's ok hasn't it by its reaction?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAhahahahaha

Holy s**t, did I just make you make that?

Yes. All 33 seconds of my boring day in the office. It's better than playing my 237th game of solitaire.

A person who kills animals for entertainment is definitely on the scale somewhere. Farmers, abattoir workers and the like, it's done for a living.

So when a person gives their dog a rabbit so it's got a greater chance of winning money then it's acceptable, it's done for a living...

So farmers, abbatoir workers etc are all psychopaths?
If they torture their animals for a bit of a laugh before slaughtering them, then sure. If they actually do their job properly and with respect, then no.

And I'll ask again, why have you said or done nothing about it like you have in this thread despite it being well know for 30+ years?

Society has said it's ok hasn't it by its reaction?
I don't spend every waking hour on BF, so this is a pretty moot question.

As for society accepting it, I think you'll find that a lot of people dislike the idea of baiting in general, given how it kills and its environmental effects. Some are in the dark about such things. Though if there was a 4-corners expose about its effects, I would expect similar outrage. Not that it would do much, because even the people who dislike baiting concede in some circumstances it might be the only way to control numbers. I personally don't buy that, but it is what it is. Regardless, there is quite a clear distinction between necessity and prolonging suffering for light entertainment. There is also a clear distinction with regards to mindset/intent, which is probably the most important thing here.

Someone who is mentally unstable enough to tie an animal to a pole and have a chuckle about it while their dog mauls it alive is of greater concern than someone from the DOA setting out baits to solve an ecological and financial problem where alternatives are almost impractical to non-existent.

I'm a massive hypocrite on this issue. I hate anything where animals suffer needlessly. That greyhound doco was terrible. I could never do this to an animal myself and would have a massive crack at someone who was doing it.

But every time I polish off a meatlovers pizza, or smash a chicken kiev Im supporting an industry that is every bit as bad (probably much worse) than this greyhound industry.

Muzzle Laws are left over from the 20's when the concentration of racing Greyhounds was high in the suburbs. Introduced because the local cats were getting chewed up regularly.

True story.

and that is a prime example of times changing, there's no excuse for blooding. just as there's no excuse for muzzling trained dogs at a track. don't get me wrong greyhound racing is not despicable like horse racing, but there's no defending blooding. its been illegal since before i was born in NSW my pop raced sighthounds and our families Afghan hound out at erskine park.

they chased a piece of plastic with ribbons on it. and after the race we'd call saint patrick over with ball that squeaked. no need for a dog to feral or aggressive and no need for the sighthounds to be trained with injured animals. they can be trained without it and you know it.

don't feed this "its natural" crap, the reason you blood an animal is to make it vicious the whole idea is to try and ramp up its prey drive so it will run faster. these animals end up being the ones that turn. dogs love to run they don't need a half dead animal to convince them to run. owners who don't give a s**t about the dog and treat it like s**t were always the campaigners busted for blooding.

calling it "live baiting" is supposed to make out its some how less cruel, fact is blooding hasn't changed much, when pop had his first heart attack and had to give it all away we almost ended up selling one of the sighthounds to these blokes who it turned out had been nailing possums to a piece of wood and hanging out the car window, to "train" the dogs. Instead nan's joint ended up 3 sighthounds who never bit anyone and the only mistrief they got up to use pulling pillow cases off the clothes line. one afternoon they got in the house and destroyed nans pillows (she had tons)
that was when pop admitted he used to train them by putting chicken in pillow cases and attaching it fishing reels. won plenty of races. never had to keep them in cages, or any of that s**t. the only time a muzzle went on was when they were down at the track.

you can't do that with a dog that's been blooded. there no longer pets, they become nothing more then a commodity like horses. they make money or there ****ed off and that's the real problem by being disingenuous and trying to pretend blooding is normal you put normal dog trainers in the same boat as those sadistic campaigners that went out of their way to not only catch a posseum but nailed it to a board and drove it around their property, all to make some money.

If they torture their animals for a bit of a laugh before slaughtering them, then sure.

I actually agree with that.

However what if a rabbit for instance is given to a dog immediately and the rabbit is dead within 30 seconds? Thats quicker than an animal standing around in an abattoir waiting to die or a rabbit/fox thats being baited to death.

I think you'll find the majority of people who have given their dogs a bunny over the years don't stand around laughing. It's actually a time you need to take seriously so the dog gains benefit and education from it. DO it right the first time and they won't need a live kill again after that.

I don't spend every waking hour on BF, so this is a pretty moot question.

As for society accepting it, I think you'll find that a lot of people dislike the idea of baiting in general, given how it kills and its environmental effects. Some are in the dark about such things. Though if there was a 4-corners expose about its effects, I would expect similar outrage. Not that it would do much, because even the people who dislike baiting concede in some circumstances it might be the only way to control numbers. I personally don't buy that, but it is what it is. Regardless, there is quite a clear distinction between necessity and prolonging suffering for light entertainment. There is also a clear distinction with regards to mindset/intent, which is probably the most important thing here.

Someone who is mentally unstable enough to tie an animal to a pole and have a chuckle about it while their dog mauls it alive is of greater concern than someone from the DOA setting out baits to solve an ecological and financial problem where alternatives are almost impractical to non-existent.

Right. So it is all about hypocrisy. Picking and choosing what you find acceptable. Even though in the end an animal will be dead.

and that is a prime example of times changing, there's no excuse for blooding. just as there's no excuse for muzzling trained dogs at a track. don't get me wrong greyhound racing is not despicable like horse racing, but there's no defending blooding. its been illegal since before i was born in NSW my pop raced sighthounds and our families Afghan hound out at erskine park.

Racing Greyhounds still need to be muzzled. They are sighthounds. They like other dogs will attack each other on occassions and due to their power, size and speed they can do some awful damage.

I had a racing bitch that never had a live kill because naturally she had an incredible prey drive. She'd chase and try to kill/fight anything she set eyes on. Giving her a live kill would have actually been the worst thing to do.

they chased a piece of plastic with ribbons on it. and after the race we'd call saint patrick over with ball that squeaked. no need for a dog to feral or aggressive and no need for the sighthounds to be trained with injured animals. they can be trained without it and you know it.

Ive seen Afghans race. Albion Park would often hold Afghan races. Most of them never even saw the lure as they were all over the track. They are not a realistic comparison to greyhounds in terms of racing. None of them would rail hard like a Greyhound. They are taught to chase, not race.

don't feed this "its natural" crap, the reason you blood an animal is to make it vicious the whole idea is to try and ramp up its prey drive so it will run faster. these animals end up being the ones that turn. dogs love to run they don't need a half dead animal to convince them to run. owners who don't give a s**t about the dog and treat it like s**t were always the campaigners busted for blooding.

The reason for blooding an animal is many and varied. It's not to make it "vicious" if you make a dog "vicious" it will turn on other dogs in races and be put out.

You blood them to get them to jump from the boxes quicker, to rail instead of running mid to wide track (like Afghans normally do).

calling it "live baiting" is supposed to make out its some how less cruel, fact is blooding hasn't changed much, when pop had his first heart attack and had to give it all away we almost ended up selling one of the sighthounds to these blokes who it turned out had been nailing possums to a piece of wood and hanging out the car window, to "train" the dogs. Instead nan's joint ended up 3 sighthounds who never bit anyone and the only mistrief they got up to use pulling pillow cases off the clothes line. one afternoon they got in the house and destroyed nans pillows (she had tons)
that was when pop admitted he used to train them by putting chicken in pillow cases and attaching it fishing reels. won plenty of races. never had to keep them in cages, or any of that s**t. the only time a muzzle went on was when they were down at the track.

You do realise all dogs are different? Greyhounds included. The reason for blooding some dogs is because the methods used on those who don't need a live kill aren't as effective or don't work. Blooding a dog isn't the first option. It's more often than not the last option.

you can't do that with a dog that's been blooded. there no longer pets, they become nothing more then a commodity like horses. they make money or there stuffed off and that's the real problem by being disingenuous and trying to pretend blooding is normal you put normal dog trainers in the same boat as those sadistic campaigners that went out of their way to not only catch a posseum but nailed it to a board and drove it around their property, all to make some money.

Sorry, but that is the biggest load of crap ever.

Ive had 3 of my greys home as pets. Guess what, the two who had a rabbit were the better pets. The one who never had a rabbit was as it always was, a natural born killing machine. Note that please. The one who was never blooded was by far the least tractable as a pet.

However what if a rabbit for instance is given to a dog immediately and the rabbit is dead within 30 seconds? Thats quicker than an animal standing around in an abattoir waiting to die or a rabbit/fox thats being baited to death.
It's still 30 seconds too long for no real reason at all. An animal standing in an abattoir isn't being slowly ripped apart, in fact modern abattoirs are designed so that the animals entering the killing floor are shielded from the events in front of them. This is to minimise stress and to make it a lot easier for the workers. After all, panicky, struggling animals are going to make things run slower.

I think you'll find the majority of people who have given their dogs a bunny over the years don't stand around laughing. It's actually a time you need to take seriously so the dog gains benefit and education from it. DO it right the first time and they won't need a live kill again after that.
But we are talking about the events we have seen with the greyhound trainers. They were standing around, laughing as if it's some kind of big joke. How do you reconcile with this?

Right. So it is all about hypocrisy. Picking and choosing what you find acceptable. Even though in the end an animal will be dead.
Where am I being hypocritical? I have maintained throughout that the issue isn't the killing itself, it's the why and the how. That the animal is going to die is irrelevant, as we are talking about the behaviour of people leading up to it and the inherent level of cruelty that comes with said behaviour. Unless an abattoir worker is going to joke around as he slowly beats a cow to death with a steel pipe, you can't compare the two.

I'm a massive hypocrite on this issue. I hate anything where animals suffer needlessly. That greyhound doco was terrible. I could never do this to an animal myself and would have a massive crack at someone who was doing it.

But every time I polish off a meatlovers pizza, or smash a chicken kiev Im supporting an industry that is every bit as bad (probably much worse) than this greyhound industry.

At least you're honest enough to admit it.

It's still 30 seconds too long for no real reason at all. An animal standing in an abattoir isn't being slowly ripped apart, in fact modern abattoirs are designed so that the animals entering the killing floor are shielded from the events in front of them. This is to minimise stress and to make it a lot easier for the workers. After all, panicky, struggling animals are going to make things run slower.

There is a reason, it's been explained many a time.

But we are talking about the events we have seen with the greyhound trainers. They were standing around, laughing as if it's some kind of big joke. How do you reconcile with this?

Me? I think they are idiots. When we gave rabbits it was always as a last resort and it was no joking matter. It can be a make or break crucial time in a dogs track education.

Where am I being hypocritical? I have maintained throughout that the issue isn't the killing itself, it's the why and the how. That the animal is going to die is irrelevant, as we are talking about the behaviour of people leading up to it.

So if people don't laugh and take the use of a live bait seriously its acceptable then?

Racing Greyhounds still need to be muzzled. They are sighthounds. They like other dogs will attack each other on occassions and due to their power, size and speed they can do some awful damage.

I had a racing bitch that never had a live kill because naturally she had an incredible prey drive. She'd chase and try to kill/fight anything she set eyes on. Giving her a live kill would have actually been the worst thing to do.

Ive seen Afghans race. Albion Park would often hold Afghan races. Most of them never even saw the lure as they were all over the track. They are not a realistic comparison to greyhounds in terms of racing. None of them would rail hard like a Greyhound. They are taught to chase, not race.

The reason for blooding an animal is many and varied. It's not to make it "vicious" if you make a dog "vicious" it will turn on other dogs in races and be put out.

You blood them to get them to jump from the boxes quicker, to rail instead of running mid to wide track (like Afghans normally do).

You do realise all dogs are different? Greyhounds included. The reason for blooding some dogs is because the methods used on those who don't need a live kill aren't as effective or don't work. Blooding a dog isn't the first option. It's more often than not the last option.

Sorry, but that is the biggest load of crap ever.

Ive had 3 of my greys home as pets. Guess what, the two who had a rabbit were the better pets. The one who never had a rabbit was as it always was, a natural born killing machine. Note that please. The one who was never blooded was by far the least tractable as a pet.

nice too see you come clean and admit you blood your dogs, its clear now you're just trying to justify you're barbaric behaviour.
you're also a dirty ******* cheat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back