ATP Masters Series 1000: Indian Wells (+ WTA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nalbandian had two break points at 4-5 after coming back from 2-5. Ended up losing the following 3 points. Almost turned the game on its head.

Nadal vs Nalbandian was good to watch. Wasn't the highest quality match either have played but the momentum changed so many times it was great viewing. Nalbandian played well in the first set and then choked away the 2nd. Was 2 points from winning the match at one stage. Seemed inevitable Nadal would win the 3rd but almost choked away a double break lead himself. But he managed to win the big points. You'd think he'll beat Federer tomorrow but he'll want to cut down on the errors.

Such a shame Ivanovic had to retire with the score at 4-6 0-1. You could see how shattered she was. Hopfully Sharapova can take out Azarenka on Monday in the final.

Ivanovic was playing very well actually so it was disappointing for her. Was a solid match up until that point. No doubt Aza will win again on Monday.

Del Potro has become Federer's b**** this season, 4 times now. Nalbandian arguably should of beaten Nadal, it was an entertaining match but just shot selection cost him.

Am hoping for a massive Isner upset today.

yeah, the weather change surprised Nadal.Courier was saying it was playing like an indoor surface out there.Not bouncing at all! The temp dropped by 15 degrees! i think federer is the best player in the world in conditions like these

I was considering watching a stream of Nadal v Fed, but I thought I better study as I have done very little to this point. What I'm really surprised about is Isner getting up. Its a result which probably even proves Ebden is going well at the minute.
Hopefully some highlights appear. I presume the final will be at night, hopefully it starts after I comeback from uni, I'd love to watch this one.

Both finals are in the day and will be on in the morning here. Women's final at 5am AEDT, men's no earlier than 7am AEDT.

Quite surprised Federer adapted so much better to the wind than Nadal who seemed significantly affected by it. I'd always thought Nadal was one of the better players in very windy conditions. Federer played very well though and funnily enough it was Nadal's backhand that was broken down in this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So glad Isner won.:thumbsu: Always been a fan of his so good to see him cracking the top 10. Cant see him beating Fed though.

He seems like a genuine good bloke and it is great to see another player come up and challenge in a big tournament. He served like a beast against Djokovic, but I think Fed will win the title (and move another step closer to getting #1 back).

If Federer gets back to #1, it will show the flaws in the rankings system. Hasn't won a GS from the past 7, and yet we're talking about being ranked atop the tour? Get real.

Eh, he's still a minimum of about 3000 points behind of Djokovic at the moment. He's really going to have to win at least one slam to get there.

yeah but he can overtake rafa before montecarlo :rolleyes: .The montecarlo points will be dropped on april 15th...which means fed will be number 2 for a day.Rafa will get it back ok, but Drummond hit the nail on its head.You can be number 2 by making 1 slam final a year vs a guy who made 3 slam finals and won a slam.Figure that out

He won the world tour finals and quite a few events in recent months. Now a great chance at Indian Wells. Tennis isn't ONLY grand slams. What do you want them to do, make the grand slams worth 3 or 4 times as much as any other event? The other events would lose all their meaning. And it's not like he's bombed out early in the slams.

He's a long way from number 1, but if he wins tomorrow and does well in Miami and has a decent clay season I don't think it would be an injustice if he got to #2.

I honestly don't know if there's another sport in the world that puts so much stock in rankings. Surely people are able to make their own decision whether a player is the best in the world without needing to refer to some arbitrary system of ranking players. All the ranking system does is represent who has done the best over a wide range of tournaments in the past twelve months - and, if you want to be cynical, it is probably just a way to get the crowds into lesser events. If you want to make a case that a player is only as good as his Grand Slam results make out, just ignore the rest of the tournaments they play. It is pretty easy.

He won the world tour finals and quite a few events in recent months. Now a great chance at Indian Wells. Tennis isn't ONLY grand slams. What do you want them to do, make the grand slams worth 3 or 4 times as much as any other event? The other events would lose all their meaning. And it's not like he's bombed out early in the slams.

He's a long way from number 1, but if he wins tomorrow and does well in Miami and has a decent clay season I don't think it would be an injustice if he got to #2.

Masters series are not what they used to be.All masters series 10 years ago had 6 rounds of tennis and best of 5 set finals.Now you have to play 5 matches (except these 2) and best of 3 finals.No way it should be half of GS points.

What i said above that even if he loses early in Miami and rafa wins Miami, Federer will STILL be number 2 on april 15th where rafa drops 1000 points.Thats BEFORE the clay season, not AFTER having a decent clay season

I honestly don't know if there's another sport in the world that puts so much stock in rankings. Surely people are able to make their own decision whether a player is the best in the world without needing to refer to some arbitrary system of ranking players. All the ranking system does is represent who has done the best over a wide range of tournaments in the past twelve months - and, if you want to be cynical, it is probably just a way to get the crowds into lesser events. If you want to make a case that a player is only as good as his Grand Slam results make out, just ignore the rest of the tournaments they play. It is pretty easy.

but rankings are important cause these determine the seedings! not many sport based on knockout swiss system like tennis.Lose 1 and you are out.You certainly dont wanna be playing Nadal or Djokovic in the quarterfinals, would you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back