Australia Test squad - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually pretty interested in how Faulkner goes with Lancashire.

I think he has four first class matches.

Hasn't been a particularly successful year for our exports so far.

Voges played a couple of terrific knocks, but none of the other batsmen have really had any impact. Handscomb and Cooper in particular have been disappointing, big Cossie hasn't done much and it's far too early to say with Burns with only the one match.

Bowlers have fared a little better, but certainly haven't exceeded expectations. Good solid stuff from Siddle, McKay, Hastings and the two old pros Hogan and Magoffin but nothing out of the ordinary given how high these guys have set their own standards over a prolonged period of time.

is s.marsh a possible replacement for rogers when he finishes after the ashes ?

could s.marsh be opening on the 2 test tour to bangladesh?

is joe burns still on the selectors radar or someone left field like bancroft ?

is watto a chance to go back to the top (that way the obsession with playing allrounders continues and allows m.marsh @ 6) - let's hope not.

absolute shame that p.hughes is no longer about :-(

is s.marsh a possible replacement for rogers when he finishes after the ashes ?

could s.marsh be opening on the 2 test tour to bangladesh?

is joe burns still on the selectors radar or someone left field like bancroft ?

is watto a chance to go back to the top (that way the obsession with playing allrounders continues and allows m.marsh @ 6) - let's hope not.

absolute shame that p.hughes is no longer about :-(

I wouldn't have thought that Shaun Marsh would be an opening candidate.

Burns would have to be first in line to get a shot.

Last edited:
Rogers injured. Who opens? Watson? Marsh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rogers (concussion)

this should mean the door is open for voges to make his debut.

who bats at 3 - smith or watto ?

Watson if he plays should be at 6.

Smith at 3, Clarke at 4, Voges OR Mitch Marsh at 5, Watson at 6 (I'm realistic, Watson will be there even though I wouldn't pick him)

One report mentioned that they were considering leaving Rogers out anyway because of "horses for courses" to "allow two spinners".

I'm not sure how that works....what does Rogers opening have to do with (presumably) batting an all-rounder at 6?

One report mentioned that they were considering leaving Rogers out anyway because of "horses for courses" to "allow two spinners".

I'm not sure how that works....what does Rogers opening have to do with (presumably) batting an all-rounder at 6?
Maybe they would have played 2 all rounders, 2 spinners and 2 front line quicks? I.e Mitch marsh over Voges.

I think their thinking (even prior to Rogers' injury) was

Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Clarke
M.Marsh
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Hazelwood
Lyon
Ahmed

Because Clarke now bats at 4; and has for almost 2 years? Clarke dominating in 2011 at 5 means nothing in 2015.
but him being only so so at 4, does.

And I wouldn't say it means nothing in any case. He obviously prefers 5 and only hesitantly put himself up when there was no one else to bat at 4. Now there's a legit number 4 he can bat at 5 and feel more comfortable/confident which likely means more runs than less.

I think their thinking (even prior to Rogers' injury) was

Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Clarke
M.Marsh
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Hazelwood
Lyon
Ahmed

I think this is probably the best XI given the conditions. It is difficult to leave out Starc though. I like the two all-rounders because I feel the competing batsmen are only of similar ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back