Josh Hazlewood
Mitchell Johnson
Mitchell Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
Steve Smith
Mitchell Starc
David Warner
Shane Watson.

Mostly as expected but I don't have much faith in this squad to go all the way.
Using this squad, my XI would have to be..

Warner, Watson, Smith, Clarke, Bailey, M.Marsh, Haddin, Faulkner, Maxwell, Johnson, Cummins

I chose Watson over Finch just because I think he's more likely to succeed when consistently and the added fact he can bowl a good tight 5 overs.
Cummins and Johnson the speed to blast through the top orders. Faulkner and M.Marsh to bowl mediums in the middle overs with assistance from Watson. Maxwell the spinner with the added bonus he can win a game of his own bat. Same goes for Faulkner. Smith is a superstar. Clarke and Bailey are experienced and good leaders, necessary to win a World Cup. Finch to play if Clarke can't, and Hazlewood to play if one of Cummins and Faulkner don't perform with the ball.

I'd have preferred Zampa or Boyce to Doherty tbh. 32 and not a great spinner. Wouldn't have minded seeing Matthew Wade in the squad either, but that's only a minor gripe. Decent squad overall. Should do very well.

Needs more people named Harris.

And a Steketee here and there wouldn't go amiss. :D But yes, the omission of Harris is mind-boggling.

Too many players either out of form or injured atm, hopefully they improve, would of liked Harris there as well but can understand why he isn't there. I assume Clarke wont be fit and someone else will come into the squad for him.

Cummins over behrendorff??

Obviously performance isn't a relative factor...

Jason needs to move to nsw to get a look in...

He was stiff, but I wouldn't drop Cummins to give him a spot...

Warner
Finch
Watson
Smith
Bailey/Clarke
Marsh
Haddin
Faulkner/Maxwell
Johnson
Starc
Doherty/Hazlewood

Cummins in when they rest a quick

My Best XI

David Warner
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c) (if fit)
Steve Smith
George Bailey (v)
Brad Haddin
Glenn Maxwell
Pat Cummins
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Mitchell Starc

I've left out Finch as I'm not convinced he should be in the team. And Watson will probably be more consistent opening

Thought someone like Zampa might be a better option than Doherty who is a bit of a nothing spinner, he's reasonably economical but isn't a big wicket taker. Maxwell will probably play ahead of Doherty as the spinner anyway though as he offers more with the bat.

Can understand them leaving Harris out given his fitness issues but they could have rested him for the less important games with so many fast bowling options.
We've got better options than Harris in the ODI side, there was no need to give him a massive workload before the Ashes. I was hoping Zampa may have been a smokey selection too. He is economical like Doherty, but can actually trouble batsman and take wickets.

My Best XI

David Warner
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c) (if fit)
Steve Smith
George Bailey (v)
Brad Haddin
Glenn Maxwell
Pat Cummins
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Mitchell Starc

I've left out Finch as I'm not convinced he should be in the team. And Watson will probably be more consistent opening
Finch led our ODI runs last year (4 tonnes), he is in our best side and will play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Wade is pretty unlucky. Got us out of trouble a couple of times in the recent SA series.

We should be picking a younger keeper for one dayers imo. Only selection I don't like.
Unlucky that he's a spud, or unlucky because someone threw him a pair of gloves one day and made him wear them (after he picked them up off the ground)?
He can sort of do a job in T20, where it doesn't matter if you keeper can't keep. Because, yes, he can bat. But can he bat better than any of the batsmen in the squad? Maybe Maxwell, but he's there as a spinner as much as a batsman.

I hope for the love of god that Haddin does not bat in front of Faulkner, or even Maxwell with the poor form he's been in. He has made one 50 in four years. Bat him at 8.
Given how far down the order he bats, I'm not sure pointing to a lack of 50's is fair for him.

Not saying he's been great, but 90% of the time he comes in when he just needs to go the slog.

Given how far down the order he bats, I'm not sure pointing to a lack of 50's is fair for him.

Not saying he's been great, but 90% of the time he comes in when he just needs to go the slog.

It hasn't stopped James Faulkner who bats below Haddin. He's not going to score a butt load but you can't say he doesn't get any opportunities to score them.

I don't think there is any doubt Faulkner is going to be more of match winner than Haddin

Last edited:
I'm going to assume that the selectors will go with this

1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Bailey/Clarke*
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin+
8. Faulkner
9. Johnson
10. Starc
11. Cummins

Not the XI I'd go for with this squad but it's what I assume they are thinking
I reckon it's more a choice between Bailey and Maxwell for a spot in the top six. There are a lot of all-rounders and I'm not sure we need to be regularly playing more than two.

I reckon Hazlewood will play ahead of Cummins and surely Faulkner, if he's playing, should bat above Haddin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back