Australia's World T20 Squad (March 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not Paine then, reality these guys are going to have to play a role with the bat and who will also take the half chances
Because Nevill is a far better gloveman?

australia are very uncomfortable having different keepers for different formats, see the way Wade took all the positions, and then Haddin took them all back. so when you've got the position where your keeper is gonna bat no higher than 7, and hence average facing literally fewer than 10 deliveries a match, it's no surprise to see them going to the test keeper. if the keeper was excepted to open, it'd be different.

It's not because he'll be batting at 8 or 9 anyway
There is more than a fair chance he'll be getting a bat at 8, and that's exactly where you need someone to come in and be able to get onto a few. We need all the batting depth we can get.

It's a sensible selection for a team that is stacked with batting already. We are doing the 'old fashioned' thing of picking someone who can actually use the gloves.

Tim Paine is no crab with the gloves. T20 is not an old fashioned game, you need to be able to do more than 1 thing.

I really like Peter Neville, picking him in the test side was an absolute no brainer... This is a poor selection though IMO

I hope we get absolutely smashed leading to a clean out of the selectors.

Had enough of the boys club.

Drop Wade citing he's a "part time" keeper and they have enough batting, yet they pick Agar over Boyce the only logical reason being his ability to bat.

Then you have the s**t-truck Andrew Tye and a returning from Injury Nathan Coulter-Nile.

If Smith wants to captain let alone play IT20 he actually needs to play some bloody T20 Domestic games, he's played what? 20 odd matches at a batting average in the teens and has absolutely no form in the format. Don't care that he's out of form, Bailey would have been a far better choice and is a far better short form captain.

Only call they got right was including Watson and you'd have to be brain dead not to include him with his form.

There is more than a fair chance he'll be getting a bat at 8, and that's exactly where you need someone to come in and be able to get onto a few. We need all the batting depth we can get.

Tim Paine is no crab with the gloves. T20 is not an old fashioned game, you need to be able to do more than 1 thing.

I really like Peter Neville, picking him in the test side was an absolute no brainer... This is a poor selection though IMO

Number 8s don't bat that often though. Phone has the stats

in australia's 81 T20 matches, number 8 has batted only 46 times, for a total of 365 runs off 320 balls. They face on average either 3 balls a match or 6.9 balls an innings. they average 11 but that's with 14 not outs. the actual runs scored is either 4 or 7, again depending on whether you use matches or innings. further more, in the 40 T20's Australia have won, number 8 has batted only 13 times.

so you're dealing with a position that barely gets a bat, but whose opportunities at the crease are widely different than the opportunities at the top of the order and which you can't reasonably predict how the opener will go there, as shown by Wade at 7.

I'd say that Zampa was chosen over Boyce, not Agar.
Eh. My choices for the spinners would have been Boyce followed by Zampa, by that logic I see Agar as the selection over Boyce because Agar does not have any right being there full stop.

Coulter-Nile is a no brainer for me. Yes, he has a lack of match practice but he's comfortably our best T20 quick who's actually fit.

No Lynn -- dominant player of the BBL, then gets three games against Indian and is dropped. Why bother selecting him against India if he was no chance for the World Cup. Or did they change their mind on the basis of his three games?

No Head -- see Lynn. You could also make a case for Head to play in Agar's spot - he actually bowled more overs than Agar, and took more wickets.

No problem with both being dropped. They were given their opportunity on home pitches and shat the bed. It's probably an indicator of a deeper issue, the difference in standard between the BBL and international cricket which may explain why we've consistently sucked in the format.

Agar bowled beautifully to his field and created many chances during the BBL.

It highlights the strength of Perth's bowling that he wasn't used a great deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are so many bemusing decisions made, I don't even know where to begin. Even the decisions I completely agree with, don't actually make sense when you put them in context...
The Limited overs matches this summer has been a bit of a farce. The T20's weren't at full strength against India because half the team was already in New Zealand. In under a month we've had about 30 players represent Australia in LO cricket, with 2 important Tests to come.

IMO the selectors are struggling to send a coherent message because of the constant changes to the team set up.

a classic sign that selectors and CA dont know how to treat the format. is it a $$$$$$ grab? or should the national team be selected and taken seriously? i think they dont know which way to go. thankfully they're not just using the ODI team as the t20 team anymore

The first line-up for the World T20 is going to strongly resemble the one day team that we saw in NZ so I'm not sure why you think that.

An allrounder could be unlucky to allow for Khawaja. We have 4 in your side plus 3 genuine bowlers. That's alot of blokes who can bowl. Maybe we lose an allrounder for a batsman. When a player like Khawaja is in the form he is in you fit him by hook or by crook. Like S.Marsh in the Test Series, someone is simply unlucky.

International cricket is different to domestic cricket. Ussie hasn't set the world alight in short format internationals yet.

just as a side note, Smith's average of ~20 at T20 level isn't exactly huge.

That's the biggest worry for me. Hes not in ace form either and he's obviously the first picked now.

I doubt he's like Clarke and would leave himself out of the batting line-u to win if he's still not picking them. He's just got the job so little chance of him being that farsighted.

Hopefully his usual good nick will return.

in australia's 81 T20 matches, number 8 has batted only 46 times, for a total of 365 runs off 320 balls. They face on average either 3 balls a match or 6.9 balls an innings. they average 11 but that's with 14 not outs. the actual runs scored is either 4 or 7, again depending on whether you use matches or innings. further more, in the 40 T20's Australia have won, number 8 has batted only 13 times.

so you're dealing with a position that barely gets a bat, but whose opportunities at the crease are widely different than the opportunities at the top of the order and which you can't reasonably predict how the opener will go there, as shown by Wade at 7.

I'd hardly call the number 8 batting over half of the time "barely getting a bat". We are now relying heavily on our all rounders to perform with the ball as we will most likely only have 3 front liners. I think there is a fair chance he'll get a few hits in India, hopefully he does well, but as I've said, I think Paine would have been the much better option. I'll move on...

This would be my preferred 11.

Watson
Finch
Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Marsh
Nevill
Zampa
Hastings
Hazlewood

I can't see Agar getting a game at all. Seems like a jack of all trades, master of none kind of T20 player at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back