Barry O'Farrell to resign as NSW Premier

Remove this Banner Ad

What it shows is why the Victorian Liberal party was so scared of setting up an effective version of the ICAC that they bastardised it so much that it can't do anything.

When you look at how many political careers have been rightly killed off by the ICAC it just makes you realise how corrupt the rest of them around the country are.

The Victorian opposition haven't seemed to be in any rush either.

The pressure was on last night and today's events will pretty much guarantee the Victorian IBAC scope will be expanded. However I'm sure their new powers/scope will arrive in time to avoid any embarrassment before the state election :rolleyes:

Just saw Chikka on ABC24 suggesting that this demonstrated O’Farrell’s integrity. To me it says nothing about his integrity – indeed the fact that he can’t recall this is a big problem to me. I certainly appreciate his notions of accountability but to suggest this demonstrates his integrity is ridiculous. Someone with integrity would have sent the bottle back with a thankyou note indicating that it was not appropriate for him to accept the gift.

I don’t keep much of an eye on NSW politics but from what I have heard he has been a reasonable premier so the people of NSW have probably lost out here.

Regards

S. Pete

Did anyone see Abbott go after that journo during the press conference? Classic bullyboy behaviour, he can give it out in spades, but when it comes to copping a bit back he can't handle it.
Peta will be cross though, it will spanked bottoms and early to bed without pudding tonight.

Presumably he also had a "memory fail" when neglecting to register a gift over a certain dollar value, as all elected officials must.

Two Crocodiles were sitting at the side of Sydney Harbour.
The smaller one turned to the bigger one and said, 'I can't understand how you can be so much bigger than me. We're the same age, we were the same size as kids. I just don't get it.'
'Well,' said the big Croc, 'what have you been eating?'
'Politicians, same as you,' replied the small Croc.
'Hmm. Well, where do you catch them?'
'Down at the car park by the Houses of Parliament.'
'Same here. Hmm.....How do you catch them?'
'Well, I crawl up under one of their Lexus cars and wait for one to unlock the car door. Then I jump out, grab them by the leg, shake the s**t out of them and eat 'em!'
'Ah!' says the big Crocodile, 'I think I see your problem. You're not getting any real nourishment. See, by the time you finish shaking the s**t out of a Politician, there's nothing left but an a-hole and a briefcase.

What it shows is why the Victorian Liberal party was so scared of setting up an effective version of the ICAC that they bastardised it so much that it can't do anything.

When you look at how many political careers have been rightly killed off by the ICAC it just makes you realise how corrupt the rest of them around the country are.

Funny you should bring that up. Napthine wants to give the IBAC more power

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the lesson is to not lie under oath. As others have said it's probably a shame for the good people of NSW. Seemed a glimmer of hope that the state might get its house in order in Baz.

Anyway, insert something here about stones and glass houses. Keep digging Tone, eventually the hole will be so wide and deep that you'll fall in too.

Doesn't really make sense.

Resigning over a bottle of wine?
Resigning over lying to a corruption inquiry and getting caught red-handed.

He's ahead of Thompson & Sinodinos by at least falling on his sword, and presonally I'd take him in office over Geoff Shaw as well.

I had a thing in NSW yesterday - everyone knew Gerolimo(sp) or whatever his name is was associated with the O'Bieds who have been notorious for twenty years. Why the hell would you go near these people - it is just dumb...so dumb. To lose your career over a bottle of wine - what is the calculus going on in your head.
LOL. Old Irish Eddie.

Just saw Chikka on ABC24 suggesting that this demonstrated O’Farrell’s integrity. To me it says nothing about his integrity – indeed the fact that he can’t recall this is a big problem to me. I certainly appreciate his notions of accountability but to suggest this demonstrates his integrity is ridiculous. Someone with integrity would have sent the bottle back with a thankyou note indicating that it was not appropriate for him to accept the gift.

I don’t keep much of an eye on NSW politics but from what I have heard he has been a reasonable premier so the people of NSW have probably lost out here.
In the scheme of NSW corruption this is so far down the list it is barely worth considering it. He's either been stitched up or there's more to come.

Compare this to "Sir" Robert Askin.

Did anyone see Abbott go after that journo during the press conference? Classic bullyboy behaviour, he can give it out in spades, but when it comes to copping a bit back he can't handle it.
Peta will be cross though, it will spanked bottoms and early to bed without pudding tonight.

I'm sorry Gough - normally you are a pretty reasonable poster bit I am going to have a go at you about this post. In his opening address today the counsel assisting the ICAC inquiry stated that “"We have looked carefully at the activities of Mr O'Farrell and Mr Pearce and we have found no evidence to implicate either in any corruption." Given this statement and the journalist asked whether the PM could trust the "corrupt" NSW Government. I think the PM had every right to pull her up ask for evidence of corruption.

The journo clearly overreached and got called out.

Regards

S. Pete

I'm sorry Gough - normally you are a pretty reasonable poster bit I am going to have a go at you about this post. In his opening address today the counsel assisting the ICAC inquiry stated that “"We have looked carefully at the activities of Mr O'Farrell and Mr Pearce and we have found no evidence to implicate either in any corruption." Given this statement and the journalist asked whether the PM could trust the "corrupt" NSW Government. I think the PM had every right to pull her up ask for evidence of corruption.

The journo clearly overreached and got called out.

Regards

S. Pete

I think the content of the question is irrelevant.

It generally isn't a good look for an interviewee to go after the questioner, remember this interview?:

All Abbott needed to do was refute her claim and move on. There wasn't any need to start throwing questions back at her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back