Best off season list changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Gwilt has played well in finals intense atmosphere, Cooney is a Brownlow medalist, Giles finished in the top 10 of his clubs B&F in it's secod year.

Has has has.

Still doesn't change the argument they came from bottom teams.

That's OK. Seems you've cleaned up then.

Based on thin air.
Dogs didn't want to lose those players. You do know that don't you?
I'm sure they were desperate to keep them lel. Shipping them off for SFA implies to me there not rated that highly.

I really don't think that you need to defend your claim that Cooney and Gwilt in particular have "shown that they can play at the top level"!

You would want to defend that Gwilt was thrown out of the bottom club and that few rated Cooney given injuries.

Maybe they'll come good. Who knows.

Maybe.

Both were happy to walk into the PSD to get out of dog land so they had to take what was on offer for Jones.

You know that. Right?
Exactly it's 50/50, nobody really knows on here yeah??

My point is, there not that good.

I don't know that because I despise Carlton.

Look, rose coloroed glasses or not, the players Essendon traded in have all shown they can play at the top level. Something the Carlton recruits have been unable to do so for extended periods of time. Young or not, the players Carlton brought in have all been in and out of middle - low table sides.

The beauty of the internet is that it doesn't take long to confirm you're having a laugh and as deluded as they come.

I guess you think Carlton should be marked down because we didn't recruit a "turnover merchant" and "possibly the worst kick in the competition playing regularly at AFL level".

Life is about perception. Gwilt looks like a good kick but you ask any St.Kilda supporter and the resounding echo is Gwilt is a turnover merchant

The bloke is possibly the worst kick in the competition playing regularly at AFL level.

Yet Essendon should be congratulated for bringing across the very player you were describing with the above. :eek:

You even go as far as listing Gwilt as a component of the class required to push Essendon across the line in close games and ultimately into the top 4.

Giles played 9 games last year for a bottom 3 side. I guess you'll try and spin that he wasn't in and out of the side but rather behind Mumford, whilst ignoring the countless young guns who Jaksch and Whiley were fighting with for a senior spot every week.

Gwilt wasn't a regular starter last year for the side that won the wooden spoon.

Ryan Griffen came from a bottoms team :p

Correct and that's why I said that what does it matter where a player came from if they have something to offer to another club.
I did say that, didn't I? :)

Exactly it's 50/50, nobody really knows on here yeah??
My point is, there not that good.

I don't know that because I despise Carlton.

Congratulations.........First bit of truth to come forward. :)

Cooney was shipped out because the club deemed him a poisonous presence around the young guys (lazy, poor attitude), not because he wasn't contributing.

I'll be shocked if any of the other Bulldog departures contribute more than Cooney to their respective new clubs, Griffen and Higgins aside.

The word on Cooney is that his knee is better than it's been in years and that he's having from memory his first full preseason in years, so I would be very surprised if he doesn't have a big impact for Essendon next year (all things being equal). It also sounds like the change of environment could do him wonders.

Last edited:
Correct and that's why I said that what does it matter where a player came from if they have something to offer to another club.
I did say that, didn't I? :)

Congratulations.........First bit of truth to come forward. :)
No worries bud. It has been fun watching use rebuild for the last 10 years for no avail :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooney was shipped out because the club deemed him a poisonous presence around the young guys (lazy, poor attitude), not because he wasn't contributing.

I'll be shocked if any of the other Bulldog departures contribute more than Cooney to their respective new clubs, Griffen and Higgins aside.

So Cooney is lazy, poisonous with a poor attitude..................sounds like just the character type you'd want at your club. :eek: .................................but we are talking Essendon so I get it. (tongue in cheek)

Higgins getting 400K...........He'll go O.K. He'll want to on that money.

Griffen is a gun................but you'll be paying him to play at another club. Weird isn't it? :)

You would want to defend that Gwilt was thrown out of the bottom club and that few rated Cooney given injuries.

Maybe they'll come good. Who knows.
I'm not defending that, so please don't try to twist my words, like someone else tried to do on here on the same topic the other day. He simply said that they have "shown that they can play at the top level" and your response was:
Gwilt? Cooney? Giles? :confused:
as if to suggest that they haven't, which is just absurd, especially with regards to Cooney and to a lesser extent Gwilt and then Giles, and that is the sole point I was making, hence not raising any other points.

If you do want to talk about why Gwilt was "thrown out of the bottom club" though, I would suggest that it had a lot more to do with us needing to free up a spot for the younger ones to play in- given that we're in full-rebuild mode, but have very few spots available in the backline for them to be blooded in- rather than him not being good enough to get a game (hence him coming 8th in our B&F this year) and that when it came to who we would let go, out of Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert and Gwilt, Gwilt was the one, given that he was out of contract, and in spite of the fact he did still came 8th in our B&F this year, is not considered as good as Fisher and Dempster, nor as versatile as Gilbert, who is also still contracted.

He can still play footy though (even kicked 3 goals 1 in about 30 minutes of footy when moved forward in one game late in the year) and if Essendon wisely get him to lose some of the bulk that he's added in recent years (to be able to play on the "gorillas", who are much too tall for him) and stop playing him at FB or CHB, like we still were this year, then I don't see why he couldn't get back to playing very good footy again (if they play him in his most suitable roles, like he was playing in 2010 and 2011, prior to his knee reco), as he's not too old.

I'm not defending that, so please don't try to twist my words, like someone else tried to do on here on the same topic the other day. He simply said that they have "shown that they can play at the top level" and your response was:
as if to suggest that they haven't, which is just absurd, especially with regards to Cooney and to a lesser extent Gwilt and then Giles, and that is the sole point I was making, hence not raising any other points.

If you do want to talk about why Gwilt was "thrown out of the bottom club" though, I would suggest that it had a lot more to do with us needing to free up a spot for the younger ones to play in- given that we're in full-rebuild mode, but have very few spots available in the backline for them to be blooded in- rather than him not being good enough to get a game (hence him coming 8th in our B&F this year) and that when it came to who we would let go, out of Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert and Gwilt, Gwilt was the one, given that he was out of contract, and in spite of the fact he did still came 8th in our B&F this year, is not considered as good as Fisher and Dempster, nor as versatile as Gilbert, who is also still contracted.

He can still play footy though (even kicked 3 goals 1 in about 30 minutes of footy when moved forward in one game late in the year) and if Essendon wisely get him to lose some of the bulk that he's added in recent years (to be able to play on the "gorillas", who are much too tall for him) and stop playing him at FB or CHB, like we still were this year, then I don't see why he couldn't get back to playing very good footy again (if they play him in his most suitable roles, like he was playing in 2010 and 2011, prior to his knee reco), as he's not too old.

Does this story start with, "Once upon a time.....?"

Not sure what you're saying and you don't just quit quality players for zilch............not even St.Kilda can afford to do this.

Why not get rid of the much older Fisher then, in order to make more room for the kids?

Agreed. St Kilda may be terrible but the competition for the role of third and fourth tall defender is hotly contested by a stupid amount of players. There's the names you mentioned plus Roberton, Shenton and even Sippos or Goddard could play that role.

Agreed. St Kilda may be terrible but the competition for the role of third and fourth tall defender is hotly contested by a stupid amount of players. There's the names you mentioned plus Roberton, Shenton and even Sippos or Goddard could play that role.

Just one question then....................Why wasn't Gwilt traded out?

Don't see the difference. Although technically Gwilt was never de-listed from the saints even though they chose not to offer him a contract. Essendon signed him as an UFA despite what the media reported.

I'm not claiming Gwilt as some great steal but the saints never had the option of trading him.

Don't see the difference. Although technically Gwilt was never de-listed from the saints not offering him a contract. Essendon signed him as an UFA despite what the media reported. I'm not claiming Gwilt as some great steal but the saints never had the option of trading him.

You can still trade FA's if parties are obliging.

As it was Gwilt was lucky to get a home.

Don't forget the 190cm Blake Acres, who the club rate very highly and will want to get games into and of course there is also Josh Bruce, who Gwilt was basically keeping out of the team for much of the year, after we recruited him to play those roles long term. Tom Simpkin is yet another one who plays the exact sort of roles Gwilt has been and is there for back-up if needed and then there's also Brodie Murdoch, who is the exact same size and shape as Gwilt and even has the same thumping left foot and who has shown some very good things down back in his two years at the club. As you said, we have a stupid amount of options for those roles down back and Gwilt, at 28yo, was not seen as being part of our next premiership and we already had enough experience back there in Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert, Geary and co. to teach the younger ones, so he was let go. I was genuinely shocked when I realised it was his last game for us in R23 though, as I just didn't see it coming and thought he could have had another 3-4 good years left in him, especially if we didn't ask him to play key position any more.

Our backline would actually be very decent still if it wasn't being decimated by injuries, as it has been this past two years.

Does this story start with, "Once upon a time.....?"

Not sure what you're saying
What don't you understand, it's in plain English and very simple. He said they have shown they can play at AFL level and you questioned that, which I consider to be absurd, especially with regards to someone who has won a Brownlow medal

and you don't just quit quality players for zilch............not even St.Kilda can afford to do this.

Why not get rid of the much older Fisher then, in order to make more room for the kids?

Well he came 10th in our B&F (thought it was 8th, but just looked it up) despite having only played the 17 games for the year, was our no.2 option for one of the KPD positions for most of the year (behind Delaney), had 17-24 possies in 9 of his 17 games, despite mostly playing KPD and is only 28yo, so how would you explain that?

The simple fact is that, as I said, we are in full-rebuild mode, yet with all of Fisher, Delaney, Dempster, Gwilt, Gilbert and Geary as pretty much "locks" in our backline (with Roberton another one, until his very serious ankle injury that ruined his year this year) and Savage another one after his very successful move there this year, there was no room for us to blood any of the "youth" we have coming through, if they were all available, so I think it's pretty obvious that the club felt one of them had to make way and Richo rates Fisher massively still and hopes that he still has two more years in him and Dempster is also rated higher than Gwlit, while Gilbert was still contracted and is more versatile, so I think Gwilt simply drew the short straw. I dare say the club would have fully expected him to get picked up by someone else though, as he has been.

Otherwise, how do you explain someone coming 10th in their club's B&F (despite playing just 17 games) and not being offered another contract, despite potentially having 3-4 more good years in them?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back