Bomber Thompson could be banned from working in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he had admitted some level of guilt for the poor governance issues on 360. Seems odd, should have fought the penalty like the doctor did. Seems odd not to pay the fine.

Not paying shows a bad attitude toward the AFL. He's not a team player. This reflects the failure to take responsibility that is present in all the management of the club. Anyone associated with this needs to go and they need to start again.
Serious?

I wonder if the AFL will try and ban him if he wants to work as a commentator or boundary rider at either channel 7 or Foxtel?

The AFL should ban BT,DerWayne,Luke Darcy,Tony Shaw,Hamish [well we know that one won't happen] & Basil from commentating before even considering banning Thompson from doing it.

From the elation of Geelong premiership success to the lows of the Essendon scandal. A career of ups and downs but unfortunately he will be remembered for how he left the game, not his successes.

From memory he's actually quite wealthy, scored in a land speculation deal somewhere around Melbourne.

Geelong set him up with some deal iirc.

He is holding out on paying the $25k out of principal because $25k ain't alot for a guy who was getting paid that every two weeks. Even without his property portfolio.

I don't understand why James Hird has been made Public Enemy #1 by everyone in the football world who doesn't drink the Windy Hill Kool-Aid and yet, Bomber Thompson mostly gets off scott-free. The Bombers basically signed him away from Geelong to hold Hirdy's hand and be the "real" coach while Hird fronted the cameras and boosted the membership.

Let's not forget, it was Bomber Thompson's fitness staff which he brought over from Geelong who got Essendon into this mess. Dank and Robinson were no strangers to peptides. We know they'd been using them at NRL clubs for years. Geelong quickly distanced themselves from any professional association with Dank, but the Weapon is on record as crediting the 2007 premiership partly to his consultative work that year with Dank - link

I'm not trying to insinuate anything about what went on in his time at Geelong - TB4 and other peptides were only placed on the banned list after 2011 anyway, so it doesn't really matter even if they were using that stuff - but I've never bought the "Mr Innocent" line about Mark Thompson. He was as involved in Essendon training regime as everyone else. He wasn't some part-timer who flew in on match days.

I could be wrong, but I reckon the slap on the wrist which Thompson got and the 12 month suspension which Hird received was all just part of the AFL's damage control strategy. The AFL needed a fall guy and they also needed someone to maintain the ship while Hird was out. If the AFL had also suspended Thompson for 12 months, it would've made the whole thing stink even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why James Hird has been made Public Enemy #1 by everyone in the football world who doesn't drink the Windy Hill Kool-Aid

Because that is the picture painted by the media and in particular CW and the public have happily bought the story. Wilson has an axe to grind with Hird for removing her Board member/best friend and her leaks drying up. And boy has she ground that axe.

If any person who was not just in it for the hang s**t on Essendon/Hird (very few on BF) then they would realize there is a reason why the players want Hird and if he was this supposed demon who put their health and that of their offspring at risk, would that be the case...

Hird… is a.. demon who put their health and that of their offspring at risk
Nah, you completely missed the point and you quoted me out of context.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Hird has been wronged by the AFL and football world. I just questioned why he has been made to carry the can and fly solo, while Thompson has gotten away with his involvement in the performance-enhancing drugs scandal.

Surely they were all equally at fault for the shortcuts which were taken ?!?!?

I wasn't trying to suggest that Hird has been wronged by the AFL and football world. I just questioned why he has been made to carry the can and fly solo, while Thompson has gotten away with his involvement in the performance-enhancing drugs scandal.

Which would mean he has been wronged. Let's be honest, he has to take some blame, but he's had more blame put on himself than Dank.

My post wasn't aimed at you. All i did was answered why Hird is the one in the spotlight and not anyone else. Basically the club as a whole is at fault but that isn't the picture the media have painted.

the events at the dons over the last two years has been bizarre

watson admits to taking drugs and is still playing
essendon were unbeatable until the hamstrings all went twang (but clearly not drug related)
hird admits to short comings but denies any wrong doing
according to hird and the club there was no wrong doing but dank and the weapon are booted out
and as per above thompson has no job, no role and a big fine

something still does add up

the events at the dons over the last two years has been bizarre

watson admits to taking drugs and is still playing
essendon were unbeatable until the hamstrings all went twang (but clearly not drug related)
hird admits to short comings but denies any wrong doing
according to hird and the club there was no wrong doing but dank and the weapon are booted out
and as per above thompson has no job, no role and a big fine

something still does add up
You'd think if taking AOD was a bannable offence they would have charged them for that.

We also beat a grand total of 2 top 8 teams in the first half of 2012. Hardly "unbeatable"

You'd think if taking AOD was a bannable offence they would have charged them for that.

We also beat a grand total of 2 top 8 teams in the first half of 2012. Hardly "unbeatable"

watson's legal defence probably relied upon the uncertainty in his statement and the fact it was just a comment that was made rather than one that could be relied upon.

oh, and I think the emphasis was the fact the players couldn't get on the park, due to muscles injuries, because they were running faster than their bodies could cope rather than who they played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back