Bontempelli v Billings

Who would you rather at your Club?

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Jack Billings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but you could easily say that Billings gets more of the ball, kicks more goals, has better disposal efficiency and takes more marks whilst spending less time on the ground. It's easy picking out just a few stats to back up your own argument.
I said impact stats, taking more marks and getting more loose possessions doesn't mean you're having more of an impact. Once teams play a lot tighter on Billings he's going to have to work on winning the contested possession something that Bont already does. Not saying Billings isn't a good player because he is, you do need players to spread the field but much rate higher the guys that do harder stuff on the inside.

I said impact stats, taking more marks and getting more loose possessions doesn't mean you're having more of an impact. Once teams play a lot tighter on Billings he's going to have to work on winning the contested possession something that Bont already does. Not saying Billings isn't a good player because he is, you do need players to spread the field but much rate higher the guys that do harder stuff on the inside.
Since when is an inside 50 more of an impact than kicking a goal?

Since when is an inside 50 more of an impact than kicking a goal?
inside 50's create goals, he's creating opportunities for goals for his team. Someone else is creating goals for Billings.

Its a team sport, some players do the hard work and create for the team, some get on the end of that hard work and finish it off, you need both types of players. Bont is in that first category, Billings is in the second and he's very good at it, but i find the first category players more important.

You are better off comparing Billings with Luke Daulhaus from the dogs and Bonts with Luke Dunstan.

inside 50's create goals, he's creating opportunities for goals for his team. Someone else is creating goals for Billings.

Its a team sport, some players do the hard work and create for the team, some get on the end of that hard work and finish it off, you need both types of players. Bont is in that first category, Billings is in the second and he's very good at it, but i find the first category players more important.

You are better off comparing Billings with Luke Daulhaus from the dogs and Bonts with Luke Dunstan.
Goal assists are 0.6 for billings, 0.7 for bont. To say Billings isn't creatong opportunities or is having other players do it for him shows you're either extremely naive or you don't watch St.Kilda games.
And sorry mate, but I'm not going to compare those players because incase you can't read the title this is a thread on Bontempelli V Billings.

Goal assists are 0.6 for billings, 0.7 for bont. To say Billings isn't creatong opportunities or is having other players do it for him shows you're either extremely naive or you don't watch St.Kilda games.
And sorry mate, but I'm not going to compare those players because incase you can't read the title this is a thread on Bontempelli V Billings.
I have read the title and I chose Bonts and gave the reasons, I said a better comparison would be against those other players.

Naive, I think you are being naive on what the impact is of an inside 50, Bont might not get the goal assist but the bloke he kicked it to might.

Blackas87 you sure know your Bont im impressed.

Bontempelli IMO has had a calf injury since the Tigers game, and on top of that has been getting tagged hard since then so has struggled. Billings is a gun too, would love him in the dogs team. Bonti does things others cant though

I have read the title and I chose Bonts and gave the reasons, I said a better comparison would be against those other players.

Naive, I think you are being naive on what the impact is of an inside 50, Bont might not get the goal assist but the bloke he kicked it to might.
Haha, ok mate.

Lol what now booting the ball anywhere inside 50 holds more weight than kicking a goal. Please stop.

Lol what now booting the ball anywhere inside 50 holds more weight than kicking a goal. Please stop.
Cant kick a goal if the ball isn't in the 50

Just so I'm clear on this, you think it's more important for a player to kick the ball inside 50 then it is to kick a goal?
never said that, aussie rules is a team sport, Billings didn't kick his 7 goals as individual efforts, he had teammates working hard delivering the ball to give him the opportunity to kick goals. Armitage and Steven I value as better players than Billings currently, they both have less goals though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A shambles kick from half back that lands one meter inside 50 to three opponents?
You obviously don't watch Bontempelli too closely.

It counts as a inside 50 stat is my point.
Yeah he's kicked 42 inside 50's from shamble kicks out from the half back line to 3 opponents, maybe if you watched him you will see how he gets his inside 50's

Yeah he's kicked 42 inside 50's from shamble kicks out from the half back line to 3 opponents, maybe if you watched him you will see how he gets his inside 50's
Well you obviously don't watch billings, has a better disposal effiency so his kicks are more likely to go to a team mate.

never said that, aussie rules is a team sport, Billings didn't kick his 7 goals as individual efforts, he had teammates working hard delivering the ball to give him the opportunity to kick goals. Armitage and Steven I value as better players than Billings currently, they both have less goals though.
You said Bontempelli was miles ahead in all the important 'impact stats', which you listed inside 50's but not goals scored. So yes you did say inside 50s were more important then goals kicked.

The point is the Inside 50 stat can and is tainted as it doesn't show where these kicks went or what the outcome of them was.

Well you obviously don't watch billings, has a better disposal effiency so his kicks are more likely to go to a team mate.
Billings is an outside player getting loose ball, I'd hope he has better disposal than someone getting tight contested ball under pressure.

You said Bontempelli was miles ahead in all the important 'impact stats', which you listed inside 50's but not goals scored. So yes you did say inside 50s were more important then goals kicked.
Goals are kicked as team efforts, every player in the field is working towards his team kicking goals. The ball doesn't just magically appear in the forward line it gets there through hard work from the guys dilivering it there.

As for goals Billings has had 4 goalless games this year (Bont 3), as I said Bont also wins contested footy beating his opponent, he gets clearances moving the ball his teams direction, he delivers the ball inside 50 giving his team the chance to score goals, he tackles hard stopping the opposition from delivering the ball into their forward line. He does these things even when he isn't kicking goals.

How is Billings impacting games when he isn't scoring goals which is more than half of his games this year.

Last edited:
The point is the Inside 50 stat can and is tainted as it doesn't show where these kicks went or what the outcome of them was.
All stats are tainted, like disposal efficiency counts chipping the ball around. The stats give a fair indication though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back