Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody get the feeling that Brock was definitely getting another contract? Even by his own admission it was just positives vibes. Then as soon as trade period started, Carlton made it clear that there are always players hanging on by a thread this time of year and Brock was one of those. I'd say it was quite likely that we told them we'd like to keep him and think we will keep him, but the Whiley recruitment made his retention pointless balance wise.

Did anybody get the feeling that Brock was definitely getting another contract? Even by his own admission it was just positives vibes. Then as soon as trade period started, Carlton made it clear that there are always players hanging on by a thread this time of year and Brock was one of those. I'd say it was quite likely that we told them we'd like to keep him and think we will keep him, but the Whiley recruitment made his retention pointless balance wise.

There may be other reasons that we're not yet aware of.

There are always other reasons and Brock may have been wise just to stay in the background.

I'm not talking about the way he has left. I'm talking purely games played vs salary. 63 games in 5 years, averaging 21 disposals. I think he has been well paid for much of the time and although he has played some sensational games, we obviously would have wanted more. Let's be honest, he has been chopped for a reason.

I'm not equating it to Waite who is even less performed and was being offered another contract.

Fair enough, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I just think that the disappointment should lie with Ratten et al, not Brock.

Mick strikes me as a no nonsense straight up bloke and I believe Mick was/is trying to keep Brock.

There is more to this story than meets the eye.
I think they thought they needed Brock, then got Mark Whiley from GWS, and they changed their mind. It's disappointing but these things happen. I don't think anyone would deliberately set out to deceive Brock, why would they.

Whatever the reasons for his delisting, Brock's exit was poorly handled and Mick should have called him.

But there's no nice way to find out you have been dumped if you didn't see it coming. By a girl or a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the reasons for his delisting, Brock's exit was poorly handled and Mick should have called him.

But there's no nice way to find out you have been dumped if you didn't see it coming. By a girl or a team.
Brock said he didn't have problem with being dumped just how it was handled. I would imagine his spending overseas might have been a bit different if he knew he didn't have a $250K per year job to come back to.

CARLTON will next month start its revamped pre-season program with the cleanest bill of health for some time. Only two players — Tom Bell and Sam Docherty — underwent post-season operations this year, a far cry from the mass of surgeries that awaited the Blues this time 12 months ago.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eseason-campaign/story-fni5f5nx-1227100197019

Great news that everybody will be ready to go for day one of preseason. I can not wait to see a fit Kreuzer tear it up in Round One.

But it’s understood the club is interested in making one more addition ahead of next month’s national draft, with a young delisted free agent holding some appeal.

Wonder who that could be..

But it’s understood the club is interested in making one more addition ahead of next month’s national draft, with a young delisted free agent holding some appeal - peal - peel thunder - paul bower - emu - bird - crows - dangerfield........woop!!

But it’s understood the club is interested in making one more addition ahead of next month’s national draft, with a young delisted free agent holding some appeal - peal - peel thunder - paul bower - emu - bird - crows - dangerfield........woop!!

I thought they were talking of someone to exemplify the talents of our ruckman Wood?

Moral of the story, MM should not throw stones at people in glass houses, ie he can't bag Waite for leaving the way he did and then virtually give McLean the same sort of treatment.

We picked Mclean with our pick 11 and then proceeded to play him in the VFL where he did not sulk and worked hard to get back into the side. He had very good VFL form but was not selected for a long period of time and was overlooked until injuries forced him back in where once he got the pace of the game he performed well. He has his limitations and he knows them. Unlucky is probably the best word to describe his delisting as he would be a great teacher to our developing kids who play VFL next season.

All the best Brock in whatever you choose to do next

Moral of the story, MM should not throw stones at people in glass houses, ie he can't bag Waite for leaving the way he did and then virtually give McLean the same sort of treatment.

We picked Mclean with our pick 11 and then proceeded to play him in the VFL where he did not sulk and worked hard to get back into the side. He had very good VFL form but was not selected for a long period of time and was overlooked until injuries forced him back in where once he got the pace of the game he performed well. He has his limitations and he knows them. Unlucky is probably the best word to describe his delisting as he would be a great teacher to our developing kids who play VFL next season.

You know. There could be a lot more to this story

That'd be right. Pass up Dangerfield on the way to getting someone named Woop. Idiots.

On a happier night, just read that Tony De Bolfo article on Gough Whitlam meeting Percy Jones today. It was a charming, uplifting piece from.one of the AFL community's best historians (okay he is the best)

Wonder what other treasure trove of treats he has in store for us.

I've got a feeling MM didn't want him out and wanted to wash his hands of the decision by those made above him with Brock. All along MM said he wanted to keep him and Brock said that MM had said that to him in exit meetings yet the list managers who handle the trading bring in Whiley and decide Brock is surplus to requirements. Dumb decision IMO heaping the burden on the young guys like Whiley, Cripps & Bell without an old stager there as back-up or to take some of that workload in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back