Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm. In what way do we know that Waite had made up his mind then ? I seriously doubt he had.
I however suspect AFTER his meeting with Mick that he did not feel overly valued and on top of that with only a one year contract put on table after that he decided North valued him more to do something with his last two seasons. I think that is when he made his mind up. He did say even after he went to North he wanted to remain a one club player but the one year contract offer is why he decided to leave. He felt he could play two more at Carlton.

I don't buy Mick's warped version of events for one moment. If he and Carlton had made him feel like he was a big part of plans for forward line for next two seasons and how him , Hendo and Casboult could work together in that time to give us best chance of success, I have little doubt he would have stayed. I suspect Mick just did not overly impress Waitey in the last meeting that he was truly valued to be part of the plans.

I agree that Mick should not have said anything publicly after Waite left. It was poor form. My entire point is that you can't point to the McLean situation and use the Waite situation to highlight hypocrisy because the timeframes are so different.

Given the speculation, given the uncertainty of teammates, given reports from the B&F, I find it more likely than not that Waite had made up his mind to leave more than a week before he signed with North. At the very least he was looking for a second year to change his mind. He was always gone unless Carlton upped their offer and he could have told them that.

I'm not bagging Waite here. He was one of my top two favourite Carlton players. However, the timeline makes sense here and I don't see the point in slagging off at anybody still at the club, when not in possession with the facts. Support the club and those at the club until you have a genuine reason not to.

Watson is showing promise as a forward. We just drafted Jaksch and Jones. We also have Casboult and Henderson. Waite was a good player, he had is issues regarding how he went about things, he's right at the end of his career, we have somewhat of a youth policy. I feel Waite may not have been guaranteed a game and would have only got in the way if he did. Lets see what someone else can do.

Same with Mclean, we got Whiley (possibly unexpectedly) and have Cripps, Graham, Holaman and Docherty coming on to go with a fair group of players around Mclean's quality or greater. I struggle to see a place in the team for him.

If you aren't best 22, for every year you are over 25 you're in real big trouble.

Blues vow to boost home crowds

The Blues will increase their recruiting department spending with Stephen Silvagni expected to return to the club.
But Trigg said no deal had been done yet.
“We remain committed to better resourcing the whole list management area, but exactly who, how and when is a work in progress,’’ he said.
“I don’t want to speculate about Stephen or anyone else.”

This article is really just Ralph quoting Trigg from last week's podcast with Loretta - so Loretta should really get her name on the article.

However the quote is interesting and the only bit of new info from Ralph's article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond not too happy!

'Carlton plans to ditch gate-sharing with Tigers'

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-gatesharing-with-tigers-20141106-11hz5g.html

Carlton is planning to abandon its gate-sharing deal with traditional rival Richmond when the two teams open the AFL's 2015 home-and-away season.
In a decision that could come at a cost of up to $200,000 to the Tigers' bottom line next year, new Carlton boss Steven Trigg confirmed he was looking at shelving the long-term agreement when the Blues host the season-opener next year on April 2.

Trigg told Fairfax Media that while he was still familiarising himself with the concept of gate-sharing, he was looking at scrapping the Carlton-Richmond deal, which sees the two clubs share the gate in every season in which the two teams play each other twice.
"I'm not sure that it's something we'll do next year," Trigg said. "I have a view that if we do it we do it regardless of how many times we play each other. It's an interesting commercial proposition.
"Regardless of what we do, ultimately I'm prepared to work with the Tigers to promote their home game against us later in the year."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-gatesharing-with-tigers-20141106-11hz5g.html

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-08/like-a-new-recruit

CARLTON
Matthew Kreuzer

The 25-year-old ruckman featured in the opening round, but didn't take part in any further action after undergoing a second bout of surgery on his injured foot. The No.1 pick in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft made a comeback via the Blues' VFL affiliate in August. Kreuzer continues to make good progress and is expected to complete a full pre-season.

Dylan Buckley
After a promising start – which earned him the round two NAB AFL Rising Star nomination – the 21-year-old was struck down by injuries (hand and hamstring) and was limited to just eight games for the Blues. Buckley began pre-season training on Wednesday. His willingness to take the game on from half-back will benefit the side in 2015.

Patrick Cripps
Another Blue with an injury-interrupted season. The 19-year-old suffered a fractured fibula in the VFL, featuring in just three AFL games this year. The emerging midfielder began pre-season training on Wednesday, and can expect to don the navy blue jumper on more occasions next season.– Giulio Di Giorgio

Interestingly only us and St Kilda had three players listed, most clubs only had one. We really have been decimated by injuries over the last three years.

What is gate sharing? And also why would we be considering ditching the gatesharing deal?

We split the gate ($) with Richmond and I think we do the same with Collingwood.

So when it's our home game we get 50% of the gate and Richmond gets 50%.

Same with away games with Richmond.

*I think that's how it works

We split the gate ($) with Richmond and I think we do the same with Collingwood.

So when it's our home game we get 50% of the gate and Richmond gets 50%.

Same with away games with Richmond.

*I think that's how it works
Pretty sure Essendon and Carlton split, too.

I thought I remember reading that Carlton and Collingwood didn't, but that was a few years ago now. The context was an article about how Collingwood and Richmond fell out about a decade ago because the Pies refused to share the gate with the Tigers- which is probably partly why they only played once per year for most of the last decade.

Pretty sure Essendon and Carlton split, too.

I thought I remember reading that Carlton and Collingwood didn't, but that was a few years ago now. The context was an article about how Collingwood and Richmond fell out about a decade ago because the Pies refused to share the gate with the Tigers- which is probably partly why they only played once per year for most of the last decade.

Yes you are right we do split with Essendon as well.

Still not too sure about Collingwood as I remember that we used to but haven't seen anything to suggest that we don't.

Didnt Richmond do the same thing with their agreement with Collingwood?
Someone has to look after Carlton's interests. The AFL are not going to.
We dont get handouts like some top 4 teams do. We will make a loss this year and still have to hand over money for "equalisation" to other clubs above us on the ladder. Carlton has to look after itself as noone else will.

Yes you are right we do split with Essendon as well.

Still not too sure about Collingwood as I remember that we used to but haven't seen anything to suggest that we don't.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-best-of-rivals-20110730-1i5ka.html

That's the article I was thinking of, so it wasn't actually about the Pies and Tigers as I originally thought. From that article:

Collingwood and Essendon share the gate for the two matches they play every year, ensuring that each helps the other to promote Anzac Day and the far less lucrative return bout. Essendon also shares the gate with the Blues for their two games each year, but Collingwood and Carlton don't share.
But, that's from July 2011, so it's probably not the case anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back