Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember young Jack as a toddler, being fed by Steve and Jo in the change rooms before the 99 Prelim Final .. Man how time flies, what a wonderful family The Silvangis are, Jo looks as beautiful as ever, and Steve retains his boyish Italian good looks. Bet young Jack won't have a shortage of willing dates considering the genes of his handsome parents :)

Let's hope that Liam Jones doesn't go the same way as Brad Fisher :(

Unlike Liam Jones, Fisher could actually take a good grab above his shoulders.
Always liked him as a player. Pity his career ended a bit short and played in probably our worst era.
I can only hope Jones watched videos of guys like Fisher and learns that is how you mark above your head. Jones takes too many of his marks on his chest and rarely above the shoulders. It hopefully is not too late for him to change his ways.

Last edited:

I've had little doubt at some stage SOS would be back in some capacity at our club.
However, more than just the sentiment of it all , what excites me most is SOS himself has so much knowledge now of how clubs work both on and off field, how modern lists must be managed and also his father that long time was involved with club workings I'm sure passed on a lot of wisdom.

Scott Clayton has been involved in list management so long and Graeme Allan football departments that the wealth of knowledge and experience SOS brings with him from learning from those guys and his own know how will be amazing. I've hated how our list had been mismanaged for so long in draft era. To have someone like SOS that knows the ins and outs of so many related aspects be the main person over looking it all fills me with great confidence for longer term future.
Been great he has spent time at so many clubs and especially a club built from scratch like Giants. Just will make him so well rounded and do everything he can for our club to bring our list management in line with the modern era. Best news for some time. oh, I wish he son all the best being drafted in another year.
Donald McDonald at North was still at club when North drafted Luke McDonald. Todd Viney at Dees when they drafted Jack Viney. Clubs handle it better now for the father to not feel awkward being on the staff when son may be on the list. Think SOS and his son will take it in their stride just as Donald and Luke McDonald have at North.

I still remember young Jack as a toddler, being fed by Steve and Jo in the change rooms before the 99 Prelim Final .. Man how time flies, what a wonderful family The Silvangis are, Jo looks as beautiful as ever, and Steve retains his boyish Italian good looks. Bet young Jack won't have a shortage of willing dates considering the genes of his handsome parents :)
Are you trying to get me all randy or something? Settle down!

Does anyone on here have any informed information or intell. (not opinion, hype or wishful thinking) as to whether any of the 3 SOS kids have genuine ability and a realistic chance to make it on to the list ?

Thanks in advance !!!

I've had little doubt at some stage SOS would be back in some capacity at our club.
However, more than just the sentiment of it all , what excites me most is SOS himself has so much knowledge now of how clubs work both on and off field, how modern lists must be managed and also his father that long time was involved with club workings I'm sure passed on a lot of wisdom.

Scott Clayton has been involved in list management so long and Graeme Allan football departments that the wealth of knowledge and experience SOS brings with him from learning from those guys and his own know how will be amazing. I've hated how our list had been mismanaged for so long in draft era. To have someone like SOS that knows the ins and outs of so many related aspects be the main person over looking it all fills me with great confidence for longer term future.
Been great he has spent time at so many clubs and especially a club built from scratch like Giants. Just will make him so well rounded and do everything he can for our club to bring our list management in line with the modern era. Best news for some time. oh, I wish he son all the best being drafted in another year.
Donald McDonald at North was still at club when North drafted Luke McDonald. Todd Viney at Dees when they drafted Jack Viney. Clubs handle it better now for the father to not feel awkward being on the staff when son may be on the list. Think SOS and his son will take it in their stride just as Donald and Luke McDonald have at North.

I am sure SOS will bring a high level of expertise and experience to the club and the position of list manager. However his level of success may be some what tempered with the reality that he won't have a raft of 1st round draft picks and the choice of some of the best kids in the country at his immediate disposal when he is at Carlton.

That said, hopefully he will be able to address the obvious age and talent imbalances that exist in our present list, created by the ineptitude and incompetence of Wayne Hughes et al.

I am sure SOS will bring a high level of expertise and experience to the club and the position of list manager. However his level of success may be some what tempered with the reality that he won't have a raft of 1st round draft picks and the choice of some of the best kids in the country at his immediate disposal when he is at Carlton.

I'm sure SOS is more than smart enough to realize the very small time of having so many early draft picks is very much not the norm. He is bound to have it in context with everything else he knows. With all of his vast experience means we will have someone with a unique understanding about list management that not many could ever have. That is what excites me about having him back. I've actually seen SOS at games plenty of times in recent years. He is very much a man fully into his job.

Having said that, I am just assuming his time of appointment will happen in coming months. I actually don't know any official appointment. I suspect when he has finished his commitments at his present role at Giants it won't take long to become official.

Bad Blues had enough chances, says Murphy

CARLTON players and coaches had lost trust in Jeff Garlett and Mitch Robinson by the end of last season, leaving the club with no alternative but to part company with the talented pair, Blues skipper Marc Murphy says.

Garlett and Robinson's time at Visy Park effectively came to an end last August when they were involved in a street brawl in the city, with Robinson compounding his indiscretion by initially trying to cover up his involvement.

These sorts of things can come back to bite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad Blues had enough chances, says Murphy

These sorts of things can come back to bite.

There you have it. The playing group know everybody has to be professional for any of them to have success. It's a strong and long overdue stand on our culture. I think this is what Judd was referring to when he decided to stay on.

How?
Robbo or Jeffy playing good footy @ their new clubs won't mean Murph is wrong.

There will always be another player that makes a mistake so eyes will be on us and questions may be asked............not that it really matters.

The message was amongst the group where it should be. Just not sure whether a public statement is necessary......not that it really matters

There will always be another player that makes a mistake so eyes will be on us and questions may be asked............not that it really matters.

The message was amongst the group where it should be. Just not sure whether a public statement is necessary......not that it really matters
I kinda see where you're coming from but Murph made it clear that Jeffy & Robbo wasted multiple chances so if a player messes up once I can't see us having to do the same. If another player is stupid enough to mess up multiple times then I hope the same is done to them.

I really just think Murph is repeating what Macca, Mick & Rogers have said in the public eye for months.

As much as I still hate that Jeffy is gone for purely the reason that I loved watching him play, I do think long term this will benefit us.

I kinda see where you're coming from but Murph made it clear that Jeffy & Robbo wasted multiple chances so if a player messes up once I can't see us having to do the same. If another player is stupid enough to mess up multiple times then I hope the same is done to them.
I really just think Murph is repeating what Macca, Mick & Rogers have said in the public eye for months.

As much as I still hate that Jeffy is gone for purely the reason that I loved watching him play, I do think long term this will benefit us.

I think Jeff wanted to go well before that incident and for that reason I'm not sure us puffing our chest out about letting him go serves us particularly well.

Anyway, I'm making more of it than it needs to be but the right message was amongst the group well before Jeff & Robbo were let go.

I think Jeff wanted to go well before that incident and for that reason I'm not sure us puffing our chest out about letting him go serves us particularly well.

Anyway, I'm making more of it than it needs to be but the right message was amongst the group well before Jeff & Robbo were let go.

I agree with you--the moment has passed for a statement to be made, in any case. Everyone has already moved on. Also, so much noise was made on here about Jeffy's personal problems that I'm not sure that the club should be painting his departure as based on the violent incident and other 'bad' behaviour, disregarding all of the personal issues.

Sorry, super long sentence.

NOt sure why they decided to put that out so long after it was done and dusted. Macca has already covered it and the players should have dave backed him up then. Anyway, the message is good, if belated.

I wholeheartedly agree with this section...

(The Blues were also fined $930,000 for the salary cap cheating involving both players along with Stephen O'Reilly and Fraser Brown. It remains amazing that the Blues' salary cap penalties were significantly harsher than those more recently handed to Essendon for the Bombers' cavalier handling of their players' welfare with potentially harmful and illegal drugs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back