Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saints look to ex-Blues recruiting boss

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-look-to-exblues-recruiting-boss-20141223-12d487.html

St Kilda are expected to hire former Carlton recruiting boss Wayne Hughes in a new role overseeing the club's recruiting of seasoned players. Hughes, who worked at St Kilda in the late 1980s and early '90s in recruiting, is close to being appointed to a role as the club's "pro-scout" in which he will assess potential free agents and other AFL-listed players.

Wonder what he thinks of our selections this ND. It's possibe Hughes boos new crew who Blues choosed. Pretty sure........

I was told he was still cheering on the blues the week after he was sacked (because he knew and worked with the players).... though.. he is an essendon man at heart apparently.

He makes some valid points and exposes some home truths which we might not be comfortable with, but as OWWK says, we have been working on addressing those issues over the past 10 years or so, coming from a long way back. Niall is the one living in the past, writing a piece like this now. The Elliott era is long gone, and while Pratt may have shared similar views to JE, we needed a Pratt at the time for our very survival.

If Niall is indeed an Essendon* man, I'd say this article is mainly motivated by a desire to distract from a far more poisonous club "culture" - one that persists to this very day - over at Essendon*. Win at all costs, their club is bigger than the league and the sociopathic belief that rules apply to everyone else, but not to them.
He's a Pies supporter,
fwiw our Pres and Swann both agree with him, Parkin also wrote to him after the article was published stating it's the most accurate summation of the internal workings of our club that he's read and that if the club didn't rectify certain things he may well be the last Premiership coach that this club has.

He's a Pies supporter,
fwiw our Pres and Swann both agree with him, Parkin also wrote to him after the article was published stating it's the most accurate summation of the internal workings of our club that he's read and that if the club didn't rectify certain things he may well be the last Premiership coach that this club has.

It has been the case but as others have pointed out, the wheel has already been turning on this front. His timing is all wrong regardless of who agrees with him. Certainly Parkin knows it was this way when he was last there .... 13 years ago.

It also says that we should be looking at trading for picks .... why and with what currency? People keep talking about trading Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran but which clubs actively look to trade their higher profile players if they aren't looking to leave or aren't misbehaving?

He talks about the Pies trading players like Shaw out but ignored us trading Fev for Henderson and a first round draft pick.

I know you have an interest in defending the media but surely articles can be picked apart by actual facts. He embellished or ignored and left himself open to criticism.

It has been the case but as others have pointed out, the wheel has already been turning on this front. His timing is all wrong regardless of who agrees with him. Certainly Parkin knows it was this way when he was last there .... 13 years ago.

It also says that we should be looking at trading for picks .... why and with what currency? People keep talking about trading Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran but which clubs actively look to trade their higher profile players if they aren't looking to leave or aren't misbehaving?

He talks about the Pies trading players like Shaw out but ignored us trading Fev for Henderson and a first round draft pick.

I know you have an interest in defending the media but surely articles can be picked apart by actual facts. He embellished or ignored and left himself open to criticism.
True enough ODN and there are certainly some things that I do not agree with in the argument he presented. I just stated that people with a better knowledge of the internal workings of our club than (I assume) any of us, agreed with the article overall. Interesting to note, Sticks strongly disagreed and believes that he and his board did all they could to change the way that the club was run.
I have no issue with analysis of a story or opinion piece but "Jake Deniall" and similar retorts that got thrown out in this thread is schoolyard stuff to say the least.
Yep we cleared Fev to gain Hendo and Lucas but similarly we traded an early pick for McLean and forfeited an additional first rounder to gain Daisy.
Would we be better served had we not chased some of these good players from elsewhere? Who knows.

True enough ODN and there are certainly some things that I do not agree with in the argument he presented. I just stated that people with a better knowledge of the internal workings of our club than (I assume) any of us, agreed with the article overall. Interesting to note, Sticks strongly disagreed and believes that he and his board did all they could to change the way that the club was run.
I have no issue with analysis of a story or opinion piece but "Jake Deniall" and similar retorts that got thrown out in this thread is schoolyard stuff to say the least.
Yep we cleared Fev to gain Hendo and Lucas but similarly we traded an early pick for McLean and forfeited an additional first rounder to gain Daisy.
Would we be better served had we not chased some of these good players from elsewhere? Who knows.

The McLean trade was 5 years ago though BJ. The Thomas recruitment maybe, although I am not sold on what we would have got for Eddie. End of first probably at most. We certainly wouldn't have got what the Pies got in compensation for losing Daisy.

I have no doubt that we are looking to have success while Murphy and Gibbs are still key contributors, hopefully while Jamison and Walker are around too. I have no issue with this. The scribes all suggest that you have to throw everything out and start again but that is a flawed concept. Addressing deficiencies and age profiles is the way to go about it. Addressing work rate, leadership and attitude is also the right way to go about it. We made finals by default in 2013 but we were competitive. We had all kinds of reasons to think we could improve and that Thomas could contribute in that. He still can just quietly.

We had another terrible year injury wise although latest articles make out the Pies are the ones cursed by injuries all the time. We just don't get those excuses made for us.

When this article came out, the main board had the predictable responses from opposition haters. Great articles, been saying it for years. Just more ridicule headed our way and it doesn't happen if they don't write it or at least write it objectively and having done their research. If he is going to get the plaudits from the haters for it, then he can wear the opposite reaction from those who are in a place to pick it apart. Write the facts, all of them, then you can be defended.

This hindsight judgment does nobody any favours. We have had sound reasoning for most of our decisions.

Even McLean was brought in to help our most precious commodity who was pretty much only guaranteed best 22 inside mid and was carrying a huge burden. We couldn't afford to be playing Bentick and Hadley as part of our best 22 for long.

Hughes was a good recruiter.

He also had an easy job with all the high picks.

Many of his picks were developed poorly.... lets hope that trend continues at St Kilda.
History says he wasn't a great recruiter, putting all the blame on our development is fanciful - it certainly would have played a part but he picked poorly and our list is paying for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History says he wasn't a great recruiter, putting all the blame on our development is fanciful - it certainly would have played a part but he picked poorly and our list is paying for it.

nah.. putting the blame on the recruiter is fanciful.

Most of Carltons high picks were highly rated by other clubs.... then what happened?

Most of Carltons high picks were highly rated by other clubs.... then what happened?
Hughes wasn't a great recruiter, I don't think anyone thinks otherwise, but you cannot underestimate how much impact our total lack of a development program prior to Dick Pratt getting back involved with the club had on our recruits.

While other clubs had dedicated development staff to work with the younger players, at Carlton it was up to the senior & line coaches to fill the void, to the detriment of our younger players.

Even now we are still playing catch up on the development side of things & this is why our once great club is still some way off challenging for a premiership.

I disagree - They weren't picked up by other clubs for a reason - We had development coaches and experienced coaches over Hughes reign. Whilst I think our programs were fairly average the picks were poor

I disagree - They weren't picked up by other clubs for a reason - We had development coaches and experienced coaches over Hughes reign. Whilst I think our programs were fairly average the picks were poor

lets agree to disagree.

Hughes was made a scapegoat for larger more significant problems of the football department.

lets agree to disagree.

Hughes was made a scapegoat for larger more significant problems of the football department.

I think we had a string of scapegoats pushing ego around where no-one had the capacity to breathe in the roles.

I don't blame Hughes as much as I don't directly blame Ratten..........the guys up higher were the ones to blame for many things that happened and are ultimately the ones accountable for all appointments and proceedings.

Hughes wasn't a great recruiter, I don't think anyone thinks otherwise, but you cannot underestimate how much impact our total lack of a development program prior to Dick Pratt getting back involved with the club had on our recruits.

While other clubs had dedicated development staff to work with the younger players, at Carlton it was up to the senior & line coaches to fill the void, to the detriment of our younger players.

Even now we are still playing catch up on the development side of things & this is why our once great club is still some way off challenging for a premiership.
yep

Henderson expects to be out of the swing

LACHIE Henderson's swingman days appear over, with the Carlton tall now content to settle in attack.
Henderson's versatility has seen him thrown between defence and attack for much of his seven-season career, which began at the Brisbane Lions from 2008-2009.

In the second half of 2011 and 2012, the former Geelong Falcon played predominantly in defence, but in 2013 he was recast as one of the competition's 'it'players – the swingman.

So no more swingin' for Lachie then.

Henderson expects to be out of the swing

So no more swingin' for Lachie then.

I like what he said about Kristian Jaksch:

Henderson says the Blues will use the pre-season to work out how best to use Jaksch, but thinks the youngster's strong performance in Greater Western Sydney's win over the Blues in round 14, 2014, could be a guide.

"Hedominated me and Waitey last season, so maybe playing him as a backmen is the way to go," Henderson says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back