Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues to pocket gate-taking from R1 clash

CARLTON will keep all the gate takings from its season opener against Richmond after rejecting a gate-sharing deal.
In the past, when the two teams have met twice a season, profits from the attendance have been shared.
However last year, when the teams met just once, Richmond took all the money.

So what's the problem us doing it this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see this as an issue.

When we played them twice the second fixture was usually down numbers wise. The home team could rest easy knowing they had the share of Rd 1 in their keeping. This way they might actually work harder to promote the second game. We need to offer something in the NAB Cup to create excitement for Round 1 this year. Get those dollars coming in early, not to mention memberships.

Your team's surprise stats

CARLTON:

The turnover Blues:
Turnovers killed the Blues in 2014. Despite averaging the fourth-fewest turnovers in the competition (61.2 a game), they were scored against 25.9 per cent of the time when they did, with only St Kilda punished more often. They also conceded the fourth-highest score from turnovers (55.9 points a game). But it was the Blues' midfield turnovers that hurt them the most. They conceded more points than any other side in this area (869) and were scored against 29.3 per cent of the time, 2.6 per cent more than the next worst team.

Gibbs thrives as middleman: Bryce Gibbs' move into the midfield was one of the success stories of the 2014 season. Not surprisingly, Gibbs' class shone out, with 53 per cent of his team-high 91 inside 50s resulting in a Carlton score, the third-best percentage of the AFL's top 50 players for inside 50s. Gibbs showed plenty of grunt too, sticking 73 per cent of his tackles, the fifth-best tackle efficiency rate among the top 50 players for tackle attempts.

Yarran kicks on in defence: Shifted from the forward line to defence last year, Chris Yarran put his elite kicking to good effect. With the fourth-highest kick-to-handball ratio at Carlton, Yarran hit target after target, with only Grant Birchall and Mitch Duncan recording a better kick retention rate among the top 70 players in the AFL for metres gained. The West Australian was also extremely effective hitting targets in attack, with 41 per cent of his kicks inside 50 resulting in a Carlton mark, clearly the best percentage of the top 100 players for kicks inside 50. – Nick Bowen

I would have thought it was common sense. Apparently so does Gale.

It's fine for him to be disappointed but I doubt he'd be surprised.

I actually like and rate Benny Gale (aside from the fact he was a massive Baggers fan growing up). He's a very well learned and insightful man, who has a straightforward manner without being arrogant or boorish (unlike say Gary Pert, whom I can't stand)

Richmond (unfortunately) are very lucky to have him, he has the Tigers on the right track, just look at their membership numbers UGH

Your team's surprise stats

CARLTON:

The turnover Blues:
Turnovers killed the Blues in 2014. Despite averaging the fourth-fewest turnovers in the competition (61.2 a game), they were scored against 25.9 per cent of the time when they did, with only St Kilda punished more often. They also conceded the fourth-highest score from turnovers (55.9 points a game). But it was the Blues' midfield turnovers that hurt them the most. They conceded more points than any other side in this area (869) and were scored against 29.3 per cent of the time, 2.6 per cent more than the next worst team.

Gibbs thrives as middleman: Bryce Gibbs' move into the midfield was one of the success stories of the 2014 season. Not surprisingly, Gibbs' class shone out, with 53 per cent of his team-high 91 inside 50s resulting in a Carlton score, the third-best percentage of the AFL's top 50 players for inside 50s. Gibbs showed plenty of grunt too, sticking 73 per cent of his tackles, the fifth-best tackle efficiency rate among the top 50 players for tackle attempts.

Yarran kicks on in defence: Shifted from the forward line to defence last year, Chris Yarran put his elite kicking to good effect. With the fourth-highest kick-to-handball ratio at Carlton, Yarran hit target after target, with only Grant Birchall and Mitch Duncan recording a better kick retention rate among the top 70 players in the AFL for metres gained. The West Australian was also extremely effective hitting targets in attack, with 41 per cent of his kicks inside 50 resulting in a Carlton mark, clearly the best percentage of the top 100 players for kicks inside 50. – Nick Bowen

Confirms what we thought about Gibbs and Yarran last year and more.

The scores against from turnovers is interesting though. Is it that other teams turnovers were further upfield so didn't get scored against as much, or is it a reflection on our midfield still running forward of the ball too much or is it a reflection on our defence being able to read the play on turnovers?

I actually like and rate Benny Gale (aside from the fact he was a massive Baggers fan growing up). He's a very well learned and insightful man, who has a straightforward manner without being arrogant or boorish (unlike say Gary Pert, whom I can't stand)

Richmond (unfortunately) are very lucky to have him, he has the Tigers on the right track, just look at their membership numbers UGH
No Love for trigg? I have been quite impressed so far. On many things Gale and Trigg agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back