Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i did laugh at a few & would still put some of ours over others, but CD is gospel, as we all know;)

I am a fan of CD and the Prospectus but their rankings have always been questionable at best.

Some of the names they consider to be elite are nothing short of laughable.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/car...e/news-story/55bd86643785a79e7a6311aedc658bfc

AFL clubs must do more to engage with females in a “meaningful” way.

But none more so than Carlton, says the Blues’ chief executive Steven Trigg.

Speaking to SEN, Trigg said Carlton was working on strategies to shed its image as a “boy’s club” in order to stay relevant, boost female membership and make a credible pitch to field a women’s team in the inaugural 2017 competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going through the AFL Prospectus, which has all the ratings. One thing you have to remember is that it is based on last years stats which for a lot of our guys was a career worst year. Last year we did have a few who rated elite.

The Champion Data guys really tear us a new one and even criticise draft selections like McKay and Cuningham. They really like the Saints though, they like little guys who rack up stats as juniors. I really don't get why people keep saying the Saints have great young players, sure they have some talent like Bruce, Billings and Goddard showed a bit last year and McCartin is obviously highly regarded as a junior, but their young midfield talent is terrible, they are still a long way off. They won 2 more games than us last year on the back of their old guys.

Might be because I know very little about other clubs but why are we so far behind other clubs when it comes to women? What are they currently doing that we aren't/weren't?

Don't know. Has been a boy's club as Trigg admits.

Boorish behaviour from some players, some ex presidents, some fans. We haven't embraced the family vibe until recently so maybe that keeps a lot of mothers and daughters away.

Don't know. Has been a boy's club as Trigg admits.

Boorish behaviour from some players, some ex presidents, some fans. We haven't embraced the family vibe until recently so maybe that keeps a lot of mothers and daughters away.
Is that just a sweeping statement? I'd love to know if he's got numbers behind it.

I think it's a great thing but I just don't buy that other clubs are doing so much better than us at this.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of memberships by gender across the clubs. I am guessing we would be at the lower end of female members by percentage.

Trigg flat out said we are the lowest.

To call it as it is, there’s unfortunately a lingering perception of the Blues as something of a boys’ club.

That is reflected in our female membership percentage, which at less than 30 per cent has been the lowest in the competition.

I'm fine with that in the sense that we have a latent supporter base. It may be that we have a lot of latent female support that we can win back, rather than having to attract new female supporters.

if we can mount some sort of Port style revival, Ill be a happy man indeed.

We've been there, do well after being really poor for a while, finish 5th, expect big things then bomb right out of finals the following year. Don't want it! In all seriousness, it would be great to play finals this season but I'm happy for a slower build if it means prolonged success. In saying that, our older guys aren't too bad, we have a core of decent players, you'd be surprised how much adding a handful of talented youngsters to that sort of group can bunk a side up, regardless of how far back they are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back