Preview Changes/pre-match discussion v Collingwood (FINAL CHANGES: OUT: Wood/Jacobs IN: Brown/Swallow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is going to be a long year.

Disagree.

By far the hard part of the fixture is done and we've come out of it with key players injured 4-4.

No more Hawthorn, no more Subiaco Oval, no more Adelaide oval, no SCG. Tough away games are Brisbane (Gabba), Gold Coast (Metricon) and GWS (Spotless) while we do have Fremantle and Sydney at home.

We need to focus on getting our stars back fit and ready post the bye and attack the next 16 weeks because those around us have tougher fixtures ahead of them.

Disagree.

By far the hard part of the fixture is done and we've come out of it with key players injured 4-4.

No more Hawthorn, no more Subiaco Oval, no more Adelaide oval, no SCG. Tough away games are Brisbane (Gabba), Gold Coast (Metricon) and GWS (Spotless) while we do have Fremantle and Sydney at home.

We need to focus on getting our stars back fit and ready post the bye and attack the next 16 weeks because those around us have tougher fixtures ahead of them.
Collingwood, West Coast, Sydney and GWS.

Not exactly the yellow brick road.

We were beaten by a very beatable port Adelaide, smashed by a beatable hawthorn, obliterated by an ok Adelaide. The hard one is freo. Quite frankly using the draw as an excuse is for the Richmond board, if we had any merit as a side we would have been in it this season. If this match ends up last years absolute travesty, we can probably kiss this season goodbye.

After 8 rounds I can safely say the Tarrant in defense idea has not worked. He offers nothing at ground level and even less in the air. The most uninspiring footballer l have seen since Mario Turco.

taking the piss?

Taz was again solid last night, played on Taberner and Mayne and only conceded one goal to his direct opponent. Thompson and Taz compliment each other perfectly. Both can hold their head high considering how quick and easy the pill was coming in.

Below numbers are totals that specifically compare the disposal and goal outputs of Fremantle's midfielders vs Norths.

Freo:
Disposals: 1110
Goals: 35

North:
Disposals: 1020
Goals: 20

You can tweak the forward line and back line all you want, but if you lose the center, then your forwards get no delivery and your defenders are able to hold the fort only for so long before the goals come through.

Our mids don't tackle, kick goals or win the disposal numbers. Even with Goldy in fine form!

My question then is. WTF are they doing.

We have ZERO, depth in this area.

Coach me. Coach me hard and coach me now.

Would like to see Dish, Brown, and Daw as our 3 talls, with the message given early in the week so they can work on a solid game plan. All do well as leading targets, pushing up the ground, as well as playing deep so a bit of preparation could make it a dangerous combination, especially with their size. So Daw and Benny Brown come in for Waite and Wood (sorry Mason but that was a s**t effort despite your obvious ability). Waite is showing plenty of potential, but at 31 years, maybe we need slightly better returns on the potential (1.9 goals a game, which is bloated by the easy Brisbane game). His last 3 outings have all been reasonable, far from our worst, but can returns of 1,2 and 0 goals justify his spot ahead of Daw? So Waite goes out, injured or not, for Daw.

The other thing is that Goldy has lost some of his edge in the last 2 games, perhaps a sign that the workload is starting to take its toll. Personally, I would love to see the Goldy-Daw combination become a dominant force and add something to our misfiring midfield.

Turner should come back in an return to his role of small tackling forward, working alongside LT, Higgins, and Harvey (radical idea I know) in the forward line.

Dumont starting 21.

Otherwise....McMahon? Fordham?....the cupboard is bare.

Ins: Daw, Brown, Turner
Outs: Waite (inj/rested), Wood, LMac

The only other change has to come from the coaching and playing group as a whole. Find the 'on' switch. Hand out the angry pills. Set the standard bar higher. Study the opposition a bit more. Train with intent. Get smart.

I think we'll be doing well to be 6-6, which I think has to evolve from 6-4.

Our back ten games are a lot easier on paper. Not that that always counts for much.

I have revised my expectations for this season.

If we win more than we lose, I'll be happy.

That really pisses me off.

If only our club wanted success as much as he supporters do.

Does the club know that opposition sides say to themselves before they play us, "go out and smash these soft campaigners boys. A bit of pressure and they all turn to water"
And its 100% truth.

What a ****in indictment on the club.

I've been screaming all year that every club we play has the plan to take on our tackler, as once they've busted through our tackle, it opens right up.

Worst team in the comp for not holding a competitive tackle (ie, a running outside mid)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been screaming all year that every club we play has the plan to take on our tackler, as once they've busted through our tackle, it opens right up.

Worst team in the comp for not holding a competitive tackle (ie, a running outside mid)

Agree, according to Footywire stats, we are currently ranked 16th for tackles, both total and averages/game ahead of Freo and Carlton, who strangely are 1st and 18th on the ladder, i presume they only count successful tackles or we would surely be rated higher, seeing our success rate is probably about 60/40 at best

Tackle
When a player stops an opposition player with possession of the ball from getting his kick or handball away in a legal manner, or reduces the effectiveness of the opposition's disposal. The tackler's action must change the course of play.

tackling has improved this yr IMO
the panic kicking and goal kicking a more serious issue

This wont happen, but it should...

Out: Waite, Nahas, Gibson, Atley, Jacobs, Bastinac, Wood (one of these to survive as a sub, someone who is prepared to run hard when they come on)
In: Daw, Brown, Turner, Mullett, McMahon

Team I would go with:

FB: McMahon Tarrant Wright
HB: Hansen Petrie Thompson
C: MacMillan Harvey Mullett
HF: Ziebell Brown Higgins
FF: Turner Daw Thomas
F: Goldstein Cunnington Firrito
I: Dumont Fordham (LTI elevation) McDonald

Firrito to run with Pendlebury, just a defensive tag, don't trust anyone in our midfield to actually put pressure on anyone. For the love of god, no long kicking, just dish off and block, then go back to riding Pendles.

Harvey, nothing too flashy please, need your ability to not panic and kick blindly, just find some space and look to dish short-range to MacMillan, Mullett or the half forward flanks who should be pushing up further than normal. We are totally devoid of any class in the middle, need him here but to play smarter and bring others into the game.

Tarrant on Choke, Petrie on White, Hansen on anyone big that plays forward like a Witts, someone they are unlikely going to be going to too often, if at all, then peel off and intercept. Thompson play on a medium size forward like a Goldsack or guys like Swan or Pendlebury when they push forward, or the biggest of their gaggle of dwarves that go forward. Wright to pick up Elliot, McMahon another dwarf. If they push all seven dwarves into their fairytale forward line then Petrie can push forward and we can bring down the giant Turner to play on one of them. Just one-vs-one contests, Hansen and Thompson who will be likely spending time on lesser forwards should be given the sole responsibility for dropping back into the gap in front of cloke.

Bringing on Mullett is probably a bit premature, however, the other guys in the middle are a complete liability atm in their current form.

Keep Daw deep, in the goal square and if long kicks go into the forward 50 they should be to the 20-25m arc out of goal, not to the goal line, don't try and kick it on top of his head, just out in front of him so he can take some bounding steps and have an opportunity to jump at the ball and will prevent their defender from holding on.

I'd like to see Higgins and Ziebell push up and put pressure around the midfield but be in that 70-80m range, those two running with the ball towards goal from that range are very dangerous players. Ziebell should save some petrol tickets, likely a tall will be subbed off and he will get some bursts in the second half through the middle. We want to see leadership from him up forward, maintain forward structure, make sure there is space to exploit, present out, he is a dangerous mid-sized option up forward, hard to match up on.

No U-turns, no crabbing. Want to see some fast ball movement forwards, switch play ONLY if there are free options and space on the other flank. NO going backwards into the defensive 50 because you are too afraid to take the game on. Want to see hard running, both ways, anyone jogging after their man on the rebound can keep jogging to the change rooms.

When we have the ball, mids MUST present as an option and if they are not honoured then keep going and draw their man away to create space for a team mate to lead into that space you created. Witch hat flat footed mids will be dropped if you can't follow these basic instructions.

Mids should have a soft target of 2 effective tackles per quarter, should be the target each aspires to achieve per quarter. If you fail to meet this soft target you would want to be getting a lot of the ball and having scoreboard impact. If your man is getting a lot of the ball and you don't have very many tackles, then you are going to be skating on thin ice. If you are not having much offensive impact as well then that thin ice will melt very quickly.

We need to start applying some basic goals players should aspire to, performance indicators as to which core benchmarks are a requirement of your position to play. Possessions (including contested), tackles, 1%ers, we should have soft targets for creating time and space for the player that wins the contested ball so not everyone just peels off from a contest, some players like the outside players for uncontested marks, handball receives, etc which indicate you are working hard enough to put yourself in a position to receive.

If you are not performing the fundamentals that your position requires for us to be a successful team then those who are achieving their metrics in the VFL will be given an opportunity. Then the inside will realise that their role fundamentally requires them working with the outside mids and vice versa, inside mids booting it blindly out of stoppages is players playing an individual game, not a team based game.

Last edited:
This wont happen, but it should...

Out: Waite, Nahas, Gibson, Atley, Jacobs, Bastinac, Wood (one of these to survive as a sub, someone who is prepared to run hard when they come on)
In: Daw, Brown, Turner, Mullett, McMahon

Team I would go with:

FB: McMahon Tarrant Wright
HB: Hansen Petrie Thompson
C: MacMillan Harvey Mullett
HF: Ziebell Brown Higgins
FF: Turner Daw Thomas
F: Goldstein Cunnington Firrito
I: Dumont Fordham (LTI elevation) McDonald

Firrito to run with Pendlebury, just a defensive tag, don't trust anyone in our midfield to actually put pressure on anyone. For the love of god, no long kicking, just dish off and block, then go back to riding Pendles.

Harvey, nothing too flashy please, need your ability to not panic and kick blindly, just find some space and look to dish short-range to MacMillan, Mullett or the half forward flanks who should be pushing up further than normal. We are totally devoid of any class in the middle, need him here but to play smarter and bring others into the game.

Tarrant on Choke, Petrie on White, Hansen on anyone big that plays forward like a Witts, someone they are unlikely going to be going to too often, if at all, then peel off and intercept. Thompson play on a medium size forward like a Goldsack or guys like Swan or Pendlebury when they push forward, or the biggest of their gaggle of dwarves that go forward. Wright to pick up Elliot, McMahon another dwarf. If they push all seven dwarves into their fairytale forward line then Petrie can push forward and we can bring down the giant Turner to play on one of them. Just one-vs-one contests, Hansen and Thompson who will be likely spending time on lesser forwards should be given the sole responsibility for dropping back into the gap in front of cloke.

Bringing on Mullett is probably a bit premature, however, the other guys in the middle are a complete liability atm in their current form.

Keep Daw deep, in the goal square and if long kicks go into the forward 50 they should be to the 20-25m arc out of goal, not to the goal line, don't try and kick it on top of his head, just out in front of him so he can take some bounding steps and have an opportunity to jump at the ball and will prevent their defender from holding on.

I'd like to see Higgins and Ziebell push up and put pressure around the midfield but be in that 70-80m range, those two running with the ball towards goal from that range are very dangerous players. Ziebell should save some petrol tickets, likely a tall will be subbed off and he will get some bursts in the second half through the middle. We want to see leadership from him up forward, maintain forward structure, make sure there is space to exploit, present out, he is a dangerous mid-sized option up forward, hard to match up on.

No U-turns, no crabbing. Want to see some fast ball movement forwards, switch play ONLY if there are free options and space on the other flank. NO going backwards into the defensive 50 because you are too afraid to take the game on. Want to see hard running, both ways, anyone jogging after their man on the rebound can keep jogging to the change rooms.

When we have the ball, mids MUST present as an option and if they are not honoured then keep going and draw their man away to create space for a team mate to lead into that space you created. Witch hat flat footed mids will be dropped if you can't follow these basic instructions.

Mids should have a soft target of 2 effective tackles per quarter, should be the target each aspires to achieve per quarter. If you fail to meet this soft target you would want to be getting a lot of the ball and having scoreboard impact. If your man is getting a lot of the ball and you don't have very many tackles, then you are going to be skating on thin ice. If you are not having much offensive impact as well then that thin ice will melt very quickly.

We need to start applying some basic goals players should aspire to, performance indicators as to which core benchmarks are a requirement of your position to play. Possessions (including contested), tackles, 1%ers, we should have soft targets for creating time and space for the opposition so not everyone just peels off from a contest, some players like the outside players for uncontested marks, handball receives, etc which indicate you are working hard enough to put yourself in a position to receive.

If you are not performing the fundamentals that your position requires for us to be a successful team then those who are achieving their metrics in the VFL will be given an opportunity. Then the inside will realise that their role fundamentally requires them working with the outside mids and vice versa, inside mids booting it blindly out of stoppages is players playing an individual game, not a team based game.
Cool. How do we get this post to the match committee! Cause they are clearly devoid of any meaningful ideas!!!!

So your prepared to chuck a kid under the bus, but back in battlers that have taken us nowhere.

Your sir, are a s**t football judge.

LOL. So true.

This is the worst post I have ever seen.

Up there for sure.

Anyway, no need to panic.

Jacobs Thompson Hansen
Atley Tarrant McDonald
Wood Ziebell Thomas
Harvey Waite Higgins
Turner Petrie Brown
Goldstein Cunnington Dumont
Bastinac MacMillan Nahas Mullet

Out: Gibson, Firitto, Wright
In: Brown, Turner, Mullet

Daw, McKenzie, Garner, Harper, Durdin, Black
Grima, Swallow, Wells, Dal Santo, Adams

The continued playing of Gibson beggars belief. Just simply a s**t footballer who makes s**t decisions who has no business playing AFL. None. * off and stop ruining my AFL watching experience with your calamities.

Wright, not fast or strong enough to play AFL. 6 years in and looks like an Ethiopian middle distance runner.

Firitto.. have a rest mate, nothing sinister here but he needs a week off.

LOL. So true.

Up there for sure.

Anyway, no need to panic.

Jacobs Thompson Hansen
Atley Tarrant McDonald
Wood Ziebell Thomas
Harvey Waite Higgins
Turner Petrie Brown
Goldstein Cunnington Dumont
Bastinac MacMillan Nahas Mullet

Out: Gibson, Firitto, Wright
In: Brown, Turner, Mullet

Daw, McKenzie, Garner, Harper, Durdin, Black
Grima, Swallow, Wells, Dal Santo, Adams

The continued playing of Gibson beggars belief. Just simply a s**t footballer who makes s**t decisions who has no business playing AFL. None. **** off and stop ruining my AFL watching experience with your calamities.

Wright, not fast or strong enough to play AFL. 6 years in and looks like an Ethiopian middle distance runner.

Firitto.. have a rest mate, nothing sinister here but he needs a week off.
If Wood holds his spot it rewards weak as piss non efforts... Not once, not twice but repeated horrible non competitive. Reminded me of BMac the week before he got dropped last year. I hope he can bounce back and show that it was an anomaly.... But it was embarrassing, and even more so watching it the second time around. He genuinely looked scared.

Kicked 5 on the weekend.
Yeah he did.... And Frankston had a team of short people playing on the other side. If he can consistently kick goals at that level it may become an option. But for balance he is behind Brown, Petrie, Daw, Waite. However if God forbid Goldy goes down..... Get him in!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back