Preview Changes/Preview - Round 11 v. Walyalup (Fremantle) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

OUT: Oliver (hamstring - grapevine saying up to a month), Hunter (suspended), Hibberd (omitted)

IN: Sparrow, Woewodin, Howes

Considering we ran out of legs towards the end of last year, it feels like its time to blood another youngster and keep the side fresh.
Hibberd? do you even watch the games?

On one leg I doubt Oliver would have been able to cover Rozee to stop that goal anyway.

If Oliver understated his injury to stay on the ground, causing more injury and costing the game, that's some selfish s**t.

The Dr who sued the club had some interesting stuff to say about Goody pushing players to play injured as well.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you've put yourself out there to play in the last quarter then you've deemed yourself fit to play.

If he's done exactly what you've said also then yes selfish AF by him.

OUT: Oliver (inj), Hunter (susp), JVR (rest)

IN: Sparrow, Howes, Joel Smith

Drunk and not as witty as Jonny's reactions:

Hunter out - yes he kicked an amazing goal. He also fluffed it multiple times and has been s**t for weeks.

Tmac out - 2 goals. Wowee who cares. He sucked.

JVR - not out but by crikey what an invisible game, just lucky your young and I haven't learnt to hate you like TMac yet.

Salem - stays in. Because Bowey is probably out (did he play today? Must have stubbed his toe at half time).

Brown/Shaq - in. No rational reason. Brown is a Tassie boy and I went out on a limb for Shaq at the start of the year.

Sparrow - in. Takes whatever place Salem was doing. Brayshaw moves to the wing in Hunters spot and Salem takes Brayshaw spot at half back (without the stupid waste of time midfield minutes Brayshaw did today).

Also out - dump kicks. Players to practice all week grabbing the ball and being tackled rather than panicking and being soft and dumping it straight to the opposition. :thumbsu:

Also out - hitting the ball back into the play on the goal line. Let's try this idea of rushing behinds eh. :thumbsu:
Spot on.

TMc looks crispy.

Q/ Which teammate/s would go in to support Maxy, when being dumped on his RRRze.
Ans/ Viney..... Maysie, Harmes. ?????

Are we running short of players who back one another, in this team.? Where has the aggression gone.

JJ is a very uninspiring sub.

Grundy and Gawn gave us very little
... Our smalls were as bad as they've ever played collectively I reckon... Mids very average poor.
Have we become too Vanilla ?
He is a medisub classic, coverall mid/small positions well enough. Not sure how we haven't adapted. At least Laurie was a point of difference when he was picked there, or he was in theory. Hard to know when he doesn't get a game.
Well we were down on our game and lost by 4 points.

Last edited:
The next two games are non negotiables if we are going anywhere this year. I reckon Freo will win this week sadly as they’ve hit good form at the worst possible time, and our answer to Olivers injury will be to play Brayshaw on ball or something equally stupid.

I blame you for looking too far ahead in the death riding thread and saying they'd lose every game basically. * you Schmutt

Angry Half Baked GIF

Brayshaw is having a down season anyway playing in defence so why would playing him in the midfield make things worse? I think Brayshaw will be the one to go in there.

Brayshaw is having a down season anyway playing in defence so why would playing him in the midfield make things worse? I think Brayshaw will be the one to go in there.

Averaged 7.5 turnovers per game when he went into the midfield last year. That's what could go wrong.

For reference, that would have put him more than 2 turnovers per game above our number 1 for the year (Viney).

Averaged 7.5 turnovers per game when he went into the midfield last year. That's what could go wrong.

For reference, that would have put him more than 2 turnovers per game above our number 1 for the year (Viney).
Where do you find the turnover stats? Are they the same as clangers? And what rounds are you including. Rounds 20 onwards? No doubt Brayshaw is a terrible kick of the ball off both feet but the league leaders in turnovers in 2022 were Bailey Smith, Touk Miller, Laird, Tim Kelly, Chad Warner, Noah Anderson, etc. So I'm not sure how much the stat means.

I probably would drop Brayshaw until he drops 5kg. I'm just thinking what Goodwin will most likely do and I think that he'll play Brayshaw in the middle.

I wouldn't mind seeing Taj Woewodin.

Where do you find the turnover stats? Are they the same as clangers? And what rounds are you including. Rounds 20 onwards? No doubt Brayshaw is a terrible kick of the ball off both feet but the league leaders in turnovers in 2022 were Bailey Smith, Touk Miller, Laird, Tim Kelly, Chad Warner, Noah Anderson, etc. So I'm not sure how much the stat means.

I probably would drop Brayshaw until he drops 5kg. I'm just thinking what Goodwin will most likely do and I think that he'll play Brayshaw in the middle.

I wouldn't mind seeing Taj Woewodin.

I use footywire generally, it's a pretty handy resource.

I used the numbers from the last 4 regular season games of 2022, that's when Gus primarily played midfield. During those 4 games he had a total of 30 turnovers (they list it as a separate stat).

In terms of disposal numbers, that equals a turnover every 4 possessions. For reference, this year Oliver averages a turnover every 5.5 possessions.

Even looking at 2022 as a whole season Gus was second for average turnovers ahead of both Oliver and Petracca.

Wouldn't mind seeing Taj either. I'm pretty keen to get a look at him, Howes, and a bit more Turner and Laurie this year, but I have a skeptical eye on selection as the year goes on. I think this week we're more likely to see Sparrow, Harmes or more of Jordon to replace Clarry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo's form is a tad overrated. They've beaten Hawks, cooked Sydney and a 2nds Geelong team at home who just lost to Tiges.

Brayshaw and Serong have found form but there's still question marks all over the park for them. Port are a good side this year and we nearly somehow pinched that game.

We could lose because "that's AFL football" as the great Simon Goodwin says, but I think we will get it done. Will be interesting to see what our clearances look like without Clarry.

Wonder if they’ll go with Tmac again, hopefully not, kicked two but was otherwise unsighted, dropped a few marks too, give BBB or Smith a run.

Sparrow in for Oliver, probs JJ for Hunter

Should still beat Freo, don’t rate them.

Would like to see them give Blake Howes a crack on the wing.

We all know it'll be Jordon because it's the same revolving door with these type of blokes each week. What you see is what you get and whether you think they're adding much to the team is up to you.

Howes is averaging 21.8 disposals per game at VFL level so far and has certainly looked smooth and classy when I have watched him. Had a huge game weeks ago when he had 34 disposals against Sydney Swans so can certainly find the footy at least.

Would like to see them give Blake Howes a crack on the wing.

We all know it'll be Jordon because it's the same revolving door with these type of blokes each week. What you see is what you get and whether you think they're adding much to the team is up to you.

Howes is averaging 21.8 disposals per game at VFL level so far and has certainly looked smooth and classy when I have watched him. Had a huge game weeks ago when he had 34 disposals against Sydney Swans so can certainly find the footy at least.
Agree, hold out hope Howes gets a look but expect JJ gets in. Woe Jnr was in the emergencies last week so might be a sneaky chance too?
Realistically it'll be Sparrow and JJ for Oliver, Hunter as TK said

If it was Collingwood you know Mcrae would throw in a kid to have a look at on the wing. I'd very surprised if they thought McVee was a best 22 player before the year started same with Chandler but they had a chance. This time of year is the time to have a look. Playing Jordan/Brown or anyone else who's shown to be a meh at best player is wasting opportunity

It's unlikely, but I'd like to see Taj. Got a bit about him and goes hard.

My main concern about this game is getting smashed at the clearances. Serong and Brayshaw are guns and with Oliver out I don't really fancy Trac and Sparrow going head to head with them.

My other concern is Jackson floating forward and taking grabs. Grundy has been horrific defending oppo ruckmen and if Jackson is actually playing forward he'll have a decent height advantage on whoever he plays on. Still not overly likely he gets hold of us but it would really be hard to swallow if he plays a blinder and Grundy is bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back