Preview Changes/Preview - Round 11 v. Walyalup (Fremantle) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

It's unlikely, but I'd like to see Taj. Got a bit about him and goes hard.

My main concern about this game is getting smashed at the clearances. Serong and Brayshaw are guns and with Oliver out I don't really fancy Trac and Sparrow going head to head with them.

My other concern is Jackson floating forward and taking grabs. Grundy has been horrific defending oppo ruckmen and if Jackson is actually playing forward he'll have a decent height advantage on whoever he plays on. Still not overly likely he gets hold of us but it would really be hard to swallow if he plays a blinder and Grundy is bad.
We've been smashed within quarters with Oliver out there as well. Other teams smash us and they don't have Oliver so it's possible for us to win it without him, just have to be less predictable

Perhaps a futile exercise, but this is how our CBAs have averaged out over the year so far:

1684899983728.png

In an ideal world, I'd love to see a breakdown along these lines this week:
  • Petracca (80%). Think he steps up with Oliver out, and we've looked much better around the ball with him in the midfield than the forward line recently.
  • Viney (75%). Much of the same as usual. I wouldn't be opposed to having him mind Serong – he's done tagging roles before and has been OK at it. Probably wouldn't be bringing in Harmes.
  • Grundy (60%) and Gawn (40%). Think the split has been working fine so far, but I'd like to see Gawn go head-to-head with Jackson and drag him forward when possible. Grundy's poor marking and battles with defensive running can be offset more against Darcy for the most part.
  • Rivers (55%). Something different around the ball – has the size to do it, and his pace + evasiveness could give us a bit of a point-of-difference.
  • Sparrow (55%). Slight uptick; however, I'd want to minimise him and Viney being in there at the same time – need some class to go with the bash and crash types.
  • Pickett (35%). Still think he's most effective as a burst player through the middle – I wouldn't want to be trying to play him as a full-time mid just yet.
Anyway, that's a bit of an arbitrary way to look at it. TL;DR: give Rivers more mid time.

We've been smashed within quarters with Oliver out there as well. Other teams smash us and they don't have Oliver so it's possible for us to win it without him, just have to be less predictable

Definitely possible but at least Clarry is always in there competing. Trac is a witches hat unless it gets handballed or tapped straight to him.

Taj was an emergency last week so he must be a chance, particularly as we're missing a winger.

I'd like to see him in for Hunter, Laurie in for Oliver.

It's unlikely, but I'd like to see Taj. Got a bit about him and goes hard.

My main concern about this game is getting smashed at the clearances. Serong and Brayshaw are guns and with Oliver out I don't really fancy Trac and Sparrow going head to head with them.

My other concern is Jackson floating forward and taking grabs. Grundy has been horrific defending oppo ruckmen and if Jackson is actually playing forward he'll have a decent height advantage on whoever he plays on. Still not overly likely he gets hold of us but it would really be hard to swallow if he plays a blinder and Grundy is bad.
You don't fancy trac going up against Caleb Serong?

Ok.

Taj was an emergency last week so he must be a chance, particularly as we're missing a winger.

I'd like to see him in for Hunter, Laurie in for Oliver.
It would be out of character for Melbourne to promote someone to play at AFL level in a role they aren’t playing at VFL level.

For Hunter, Woewodin has been playing wing and on ball. His kicking has looked more reliable this year. He also kicks with either foot without hesitation.

Howes was playing wing last year but this year he’s playing in the backline. I’d put Woewodin ahead of Howes simply on the position available and what they’ve been doing for Casey this year. Howes also isn’t a centre bounce option, Woewodin is and with no Oliver they may want Woewodin as another centre bounce option.

For Oliver’s spot Laurie plays midfield and forward at VFL. There’s already lots of small forwards in the team though - maybe he can take some
Pickett or Pettacca’s forward time as they take more midfield time. Jordon also plays midfield when at Casey so is an obvious promotion from sub to the 22.

The least disruptive and most aligned to how they are developing players at Casey is Woewodin in for Hunter and Jordon into the 22. Then Laurie as sub.

Edit: Completey forgot Sparrow. Woewodin and Sparrow in, Jordon remain as sub.

Just quietly this week and next week are make or break for our season. Freo we’ve got at a bad time and Carlton will be desperate, but if we are to actually go anywhere in September we should be winning these games to keep in touch with the top 4. We aren’t beating the pies, doubtful vs Geelong then there’s plenty of difficult games post bye.

One positive is I think we are playing the mcg a bit better than last year. That and hopefully a debut to lift spirits a bit (We seem to play very well each time we bring a kid in).

Just quietly this week and next week are make or break for our season. Freo we’ve got at a bad time and Carlton will be desperate, but if we are to actually go anywhere in September we should be winning these games to keep in touch with the top 4. We aren’t beating the pies, doubtful vs Geelong then there’s plenty of difficult games post bye.

One positive is I think we are playing the mcg a bit better than last year. That and hopefully a debut to lift spirits a bit (We seem to play very well each time we bring a kid in).
These games actually don't mean * all, we haven't had problems beating 12-6 ranked teams. If anything these games are lose lose, win and it doesn't mean s**t, lose and it proves we are ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the extra midfield minutes to Riv and Koz FFS! Keep Fat Gus and Vanilla Jordon far away unless Jordon is doing a lockdown job on Serong or Brayshaw. Grow some balls Goody!

That’s literally what I’m saying though, they are must win games because otherwise we are truly ****ed.
We're in this group of teams i reckon. I have zero confidence we'll beat Cats, Pies or Lions tbh. The next group of teams which include Dogs, Saints, Crows, Dockers, Blues, Power is where we belong. Genuine 50/50 games i reckon. I can see us losing 1 to either Blues or Dockers, then getting beaten comfortably by Pies and Cats.

That’s literally what I’m saying though, they are must win games because otherwise we are truly ****ed.
They aren't important games if you're beating the top teams tho. Like with hindsight that losing run in 21' to average teams didn't matter because we still won the important games. Winning them conversely now doesn't adjust our teams thinking it just prolongs the time before we actually find out.

They aren't important games if you're beating the top teams tho. Like with hindsight that losing run in 21' to average teams didn't matter because we still won the important games. Winning them conversely now doesn't adjust our teams thinking it just prolongs the time before we actually find out.

Yes, and I don’t think we are beating the top teams for a while so they become important. I’d rather not know at all than write off the season, which I’ll be doing if we don’t win both.

"Try" to lay a tackle is generous, but yes to the rest.
I love him, but he is 100% an offensive player and he has no balance at all in his stoppage game.

That’s up to the coaches and other mids tbh. It never mattered for Richmond that Dustin Martin offers zilch defensively. Our issue is we have two star mids but the role players don’t defend well enough.

That’s up to the coaches and other mids tbh. It never mattered for Richmond that Dustin Martin offers zilch defensively. Our issue is we have two star mids but the role players don’t defend well enough.
Not our mids, Richmond's back 6 in the flag years shits on our current one. They set up to lose it at the clearance and then win it back and score from it. None of our back 6 are close to AA form, says it all about the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back