Preview Changes/Preview - Round 11 v. Walyalup (Fremantle) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are we all at with Laurie? I really don't see it. Not quick for a guy his size and isn't strong in the contest. I'd like to give him a few more chances but I personally much prefer Woewodin as a prospect. I think he can become a really good afl player.

Where are we all at with Laurie? I really don't see it. Not quick for a guy his size and isn't strong in the contest. I'd like to give him a few more chances but I personally much prefer Woewodin as a prospect. I think he can become a really good afl player.

Long way to go, but IMO Howes will eventually be better than both.

Woey will be alright, but he'll be another Sparrow. Laurie is a neat kick at VFL level but doesn't seem to be able to adjust to the speed at AFL level. I don't see either being best 22 locks during their careers as it stands, but you've gotta have depth.

Long way to go, but IMO Howes will eventually be better than both.

Woey will be alright, but he'll be another Sparrow. Laurie is a neat kick at VFL level but doesn't seem to be able to adjust to the speed at AFL level. I don't see either being best 22 locks during their careers as it stands, but you've gotta have depth.
Sparrows a decent player so I'll take that. He's been a big success from his draft. The immediate picks after him (in order) were Xavier O'neill, Will Kelly, Will Hamill, Luke Foley, Luke Valente, Kieren Briggs, Bailey Williams, Tom Berry, Vandameer, Irving Mosquito, Jarrod Cameron, Tom Joyce, Jack Bytel, Connor MacFadyen.

Laurie is as close as you'd get to a Spargo clone with very similar strengths and weaknesses.

I don't know if you can have two players in the same team who are slowish forwards, who don't have penetrating kicks, but have above average smarts and accuracy with their disposal.

Definitely room for two on the list, but probably only one in the AFL selected team.

Laurie gets midfield time in the VFL but in an outside receiver type mid role that that don't seem to run with at AFL level, so I don't see him leapfrogging several others at AFL level as a mid.

With Woewodin I don't see much of an AFL level weapon. A bit different to Jordon, but similar in that he can probably do a job at AFL level but I can't see him being more than a 18-30 player on the list. It sounds like a debut may be on the cards this week.

Laurie is as close as you'd get to a Spargo clone with very similar strengths and weaknesses.

I don't know if you can have two players in the same team who are slowish forwards, who don't have penetrating kicks, but have above average smarts and accuracy with their disposal.

Definitely room for two on the list, but probably only one in the AFL selected team.

Laurie gets midfield time in the VFL but in an outside receiver type mid role that that don't seem to run with at AFL level, so I don't see him leapfrogging several others at AFL level as a mid.

With Woewodin I don't see much of an AFL level weapon. A bit different to Jordon, but similar in that he can probably do a job at AFL level but I can't see him being more than a 18-30 player on the list. It sounds like a debut may be on the cards this week.
I did notice that last week actually. A lot of guys that can't kick 50m in our team. Hunter deserves to me in that mix too.

I personally do see Woewodin with AFL level weapons but it's a tough team to break into.

I did notice that last week actually. A lot of guys that can't kick 50m in our team. Hunter deserves to me in that mix too.

I personally do see Woewodin with AFL level weapons but it's a tough team to break into.
What do you think Woewodin’s AFL weapon is, or weapons are? Just seems an honest player who has worked hard on his fitness and skills to me. Not working with a massive amount of natural talent, which is fine, but is screams role player at best to me.

Even with Laurie, I’d say at AFL level he would have a weapon of sorts. If given a chance I think he’d prove to be an above average finisher and decision maker in the toughest part of the ground to execute. Like Spargo.

Woewodin just brings what lots of players can also bring. I hope I’m wrong and he does have AFL weapons.

Sparrows a decent player so I'll take that. He's been a big success from his draft. The immediate picks after him (in order) were Xavier O'neill, Will Kelly, Will Hamill, Luke Foley, Luke Valente, Kieren Briggs, Bailey Williams, Tom Berry, Vandameer, Irving Mosquito, Jarrod Cameron, Tom Joyce, Jack Bytel, Connor MacFadyen.

Yeah absolutely, wasn't meant as an insult by any stretch, more just comparing them as types (mids with a burst of speed) and possibly place in the team where they won't be number 1 mids but will contribute.

Not a lot of class directly followed Laurie either. Still got the end of next year to prove himself but reckon he's a bust tbh.

What do you think Woewodin’s AFL weapon is, or weapons are? Just seems an honest player who has worked hard on his fitness and skills to me. Not working with a massive amount of natural talent, which is fine, but is screams role player at best to me.

Even with Laurie, I’d say at AFL level he would have a weapon of sorts. If given a chance I think he’d prove to be an above average finisher and decision maker in the toughest part of the ground to execute. Like Spargo.

Woewodin just brings what lots of players can also bring. I hope I’m wrong and he does have AFL weapons.
I really don't know if he has a weapon, nor is that a prerequisite to make the grade? Ollie Wines won a Brownlow medal and he's slow and has terrible skills. He's tough, is that his weapon? It's an interesting discussion. He's barely a top 100 player anymore. Taranto's weapon is his fitness? Oleg Markov from the pies has speed as his absolute weapon. He's one of the fastest guys in the afl yet was on the afl scrap heap. So I don't really know regarding Woewodin, but I've been impressed most of the time I've seen him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Chompy has plenty left in the tank, glad he's got an opportunity and hope the personal issues he was facing have settled.
Looking forward to watching him rip ******* Fremantle Dickheads a new one :thumbsu:

Very good changes!

Not sure what people expect?

Sparrow was in the team prior to getting suspended, he wasn’t dropped. So he’s back.

Harmes is (rightfully) next in line in the midfield rotation. Who else on our list has shown anything which deserves them getting a game in the midfield ahead of Harmes? The interesting part will be what they do with the wing, could be a good opportunity to try someone different there.

Solid changes. Best part about the team announcement is Walters being out, has been in good form for them.

The interesting part will be what they do with the wing, could be a good opportunity to try someone different there.

Last year when Langdon missed a week they played Spargo on the wing. Took a great mark but didn’t do much else for the game

Jordon has extensive wing experience but of course wasn’t selected. That would’ve seemed an easy solution. Brayshaw is the other who has the know how of what’s required. Fritsch as a bit of a wild card played there several years ago, but that would really surprise.

I don’t like the idea of rotating Harmes through the wing, he gets sucked into contests. ANB theoretically should be able to play wing as he has the endurance required but my memory is he was trialled a bit in 2019 and 2020 and was no good.

It’s only for one game though with Hunter back next round.

I’d be hoping they put Brayshaw out there again. Gets him out of the first choice midfield and makes room for Harmes who is more effective in that role than other roles. Brayshaw originally went back when Salem was out last year, and now Salem’s in the backline again so he’s not as required there either.

Harmes is (rightfully) next in line in the midfield rotation. Who else on our list has shown anything which deserves them getting a game in the midfield ahead of Harmes? The interesting part will be what they do with the wing, could be a good opportunity to try someone different there.
Laurie is in better form than an unfit Harmes in the VFL.

We expected that we might bring in a winger to replace our winger. Maybe we’ll play Spargo there again like we did vs Freo last year and watch the ball get kicked over his head time after time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back