Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't analyse stoppages but there was one that caught my eye. It was in the centre square, we won the tap and were streaming forward but the freo mids were right on to it, caused a turn over and they ran away with ease. Apparently dominated the taps but lost the clearances by 2, something is a miss, we need to start being defence first then attack. I don't think we are getting sharked just that opposition teams are just much more prepared in the midfield battle.

Clarry is always going to hunt the ball and Trac is always going to think offense, we need the third man in there to be a tackling, defensive animal.
For some reason Viney has been coached to now be joining in on the offensive charge rather than being that defensive-minded player.

I was under the impression that being head coach meant the Buck stops with you when the game plan isn’t working.

Also generally means you have a major say over who the assistant coaches are.
I does ultimately. And yes the head coach has the biggest say in Assistants.
I can’t really make sense of most of your posts but I gather from this one you’re upset about Goody copping blame for our 2021 premiership side degenerating into a 4-8 level team without him doing much to change up the game plan?
Sorry about not getting straight back to you yesterday. My computer timed out half way through my response.

* Its not the game-plan last year, its was the players attitude, from mid last last year. Particularly the leaders of the club. Its my opinion that out leaders began to play 'safe footy', sub-consciously.

And its my opinion once again, that our senior players are doing that same thing, again.

# Maxy has not been attacking the contest hard, like in late 2020 and throughout 2021.

# Oliver likewise, just goes at the opposition ball carrier like a magpie swooping its nemesis. Timing it, so as not to collide or even get his wings around the ball carrier. Or he makes a weak effort and his arms simply slip off the opponent.
Or he just implies pressure, rather than going hard at the ball carrier.

Remember seasons back, when Oliver collided with Joel Selwood in the midfield, putting Selwood to ground, and breaking away with the footy.
Where has that Oliver gone...?! Is he protecting his shoulders, or is he shirking.?

# Lever seems to want to avoid collisions when tracking the high ball. He appears to not like the physical contact when going for the high ball.

# Fritsch similarly like Oliver, appears to not quite get to the ball carrier, or just in time to go one handed to tackle, or misses completely.
And where is the block for a teammate, when the teammate wins the ball moments before Fritsch gets there around Wing/Hf-flank; why does Fritsch peel off to receive, every time, instead of applying the block to let his teammate with the ball get away toward goal.
This causes overuse of the ball, and more chance of mistakes occurring, and turnovers.

WE, have lost a lot of our aggression at the contest, and at the opponent; since back around the time of Aaron Vandenburg, and of our times in late 2020/2021_

Where has that lost aggression disappeared to.?

Last edited:
Weren’t you criticising people last week for suggesting we change up the game plan?

Now you want to throw Lever forward to teach him how to think?
Not the game-plan. But how we apply it on-field. The players choices; and player personnel.

We have become too-cautious from the kick-outs, and transitioning... And then moving the ball on, following on from the first kick away from
the Def' goal-square.

We should be using Langers wing much more often.

This is not the head-coaches doing, but rather all the line coaches and the players. Lever in particular is bad at this, when its him choosing with the ball.

I suppose you blame Goody for the lack of physical aggression displayed by our players, the drop off is massive since the premiership.

# I am not sure if Maxy and the other leaders are aware, of just how much they have dropped off in this area.

Last edited:

our forward feng shui is needed. If we stick Lever, Steven May, a Japanese Peace Lily and a Himalayan Salt Lantern inside attacking 50
a Himalayan salt lamp...

Maybe in the rooms before games. ;)

Now there's left field thinking for a right brained post-or. You should send that one to the club marketing department. :D

Yeah I'd drop T Mac and be tempted not to replace him with another KPF. If Gawn/Grundy spend time forward, with JVR and Fritsch, that's enough marking power. It's the stuff up the field that needs more work.

Who's our best kick in the 2s not getting a game (not Melk!)? Laurie? Woey? Howes?
I would not bring in Howes, until we are back In-Form. Most likely he would come in as a small forward.
So not just yet, as we struggle for form.

Hi there, sorry for the intrusion but I am curious, what does Ben Brown offer your club currently?

Would take a week to compile but I’d love to know how many times we’ve had the ball in our control in the centre square but not got the clearance, purely because we wanted to get the ‘end of third quarter Grand Final’ hero clearance instead of clearing the stoppage and letting our forwards compete 1v1.

Usually those handball turnovers result in the easiest clearances to the opposition because there’s nobody in position to tackle.
Too often looking for 'the front of the contest' attack.
Some of our best midfield work was coming out the back of the contest, with ball in space.

I don't think Howes has played as a small forward before...
No, but that's where he would get an in.
Why do you think "pigeon holing" all the time. When the coaches are just teaching them the game.

Howes has apparently played a lot of junior footy in attack. So it goes without saying, that he has to learn how to defend at AFL level.

Robbie Flower had to go into the back flank under Barassi, to learn it, and to stop oppositions as well. From there, he went on-ball as well.

Last edited:
Howes had played some games as a forward in under 18s.
What style of junior forward was Howes? I can’t think he was a genuine small forward.

Regardless I cannot see them throwing Howes in as a tall, skinny forward based on playing forward a few years ago against other skinny backs.

He played wing in the VFL last year, now backline. He doesn’t look a physical player either. To chuck him in at AFL level for a first game in a position hasn’t trained for is asking for trouble and not very fair on Howes either.

Laurie was played almost exclusively as a high forward in the VFL. Unless that was injury management it’s a signal of a different intent with him as he had been playing plenty of midfield previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What style of junior forward was Howes? I can’t think he was a genuine small forward.

Regardless I cannot see them throwing Howes in as a tall, skinny forward based on playing forward a few years ago against other skinny backs.

He played wing in the VFL last year, now backline. He doesn’t look a physical player either. To chuck him in at AFL level for a first game in a position hasn’t trained for is asking for trouble and not very fair on Howes either.

Laurie was played almost exclusively as a high forward in the VFL. Unless that was injury management it’s a signal of a different intent with him as he had been playing plenty of midfield previously.

He wasn't a small forward, was just saying he has played some games forward. Played more like a flanker who could mark.

So a Gunston-like small forward, if SH is correct ...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's all relative. If we have JVR, Gawn, TMac, Grundy and Brown in the F50 as Goody desires Howes would be the small forward by default 🎓🎓🎓

Cerra free to play.
Those acts shouldn't be suspensions anyway but I've got no clue how this one is any different from any of the other 'dangerous tackles' that have copped a week this year.

Shifter compares him as a forward to Gunston here Lampers 0:39

That makes sense. I was actually thinking a Gunston style rangey mid forward was about all he could’ve been and then I read this. Fritsch is doing a good job in that role already and you’d think J.Smith or Melk would be ahead of Howes if Fritsch went down.

Weren’t you criticising people last week for suggesting we change up the game plan?

Now you want to throw Lever forward to teach him how to think?
How do you take that out of what I wrote. I wrote that he is a thinking footballer, and he's not much else, other than that.
I notice you didn't put my quote, into your post.

What I said was, maybe throw lever forward, to help vanRoyen.

In other words, a thinker who can position his body in the way, to shield vanRoyen's movement to the ball drop. ie: IQ. This is a way of getting Lever out of the way, down back.

Failing that, drop Lever back to Casey, to learn how to adjust his game style.

We, the Demons, are far too NoN physical, atmo. Across the park.
We've lost the aggression we played with, back in 2018, 2020/21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back