Prediction Changes: Round 2 Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we remember the times when we moved Pavlich into the mid for short spells when needing to bust the game open. Fyfe can do that also.

CvX_tvupLdUWJMQTzRY6EYilnkI=.gif

Longmuir has basically given us a mulligan on round 1.

While I hope and believe that will be put behind us with an emphatic performance tomorrow, Longy's going to be in a real spot if we come up with a repeat dose of the same.

Do we remember the times when we moved Pavlich into the mid for short spells when needing to bust the game open. Fyfe can do that also.
Keep Fyfe forward. He doesn’t give us what we need as a midfielder anymore. Serong, brayshaw Brodie give us what we need with clearances. We should be bringing Jackson into the middle to bust the game open. Big body, and can actually tackle.

Looking on the bright side…Cox, Young, Clark, Jackson, Frederick, Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Henry, Chapman…still hella lots of exciting young talent in that team.

There's some spark there to light things up.
Yep, there must be a few young blokes given we are younger and 17 games on average less experienced than NM this week.

Banfield can play inside mid too! JL is one step ahead of us! 👀

It's a big picture thing with Fyfe though. They've decided spending time exclusively as a forward, with the resulting 100% focus on it, is the best thing for him to hone his forward craft. Has no small merit.

It also means the young mids get more opportunities to do their own development.

Treacy out and Walters in seems the most common sense change. Maybe they’re just waiting to see how he pulls up today? If Walters gets named as sub I’m okay with that list.

Talk about buzz kill. I’ve gone from being utterly pumped about our first home game to the point I’ll be relieved if we can get over North.

I just can’t comprehend in a team almost completely bereft of natural forwards & with Sonny building his fitness we can’t find a place for Sturt & or Amiss who are the 2 most likely after Sonny to create something out of nothing.

Fyfe is an enigma at this point. There is no one with his combination of power, smarts, marking ability. He should be capable of playing like Curnow did last night. He just needs to find his Mojo.

Jackson is a great big unknown. On paper & at training he’s capable of anything. Has turned it on on the biggest stage of all to the point of being a game changer in a GF but it feels like at this stage he’s just as likely to do nothing.

Just hoping to see some signs of improvement in creating opportunities for the forwards beyond kick & hope.
Yeah the Jackson fizzier was an unfortunate start to his time in purple..don’t think he took a mark the whole game. The other recruit that slid under the radar for all the wrong reasons was O’Meara..don’t remember him having much influence at all??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it interesting that they went in with the forward line that they did last week considering they never actually trialed it in a pre season game. First unofficial practice match Darcy was away & Jackson the following week due to concussion. Yet they rolled out with 4 talls rnd 1. All that aside I thought Treacy had some positives in a development side of things. He covered the ground better & made better positioning but unfortunately he didnt take his marks. Hopefully that improves. It appears he is the scapegoat though. Jackson the new prized recruit on the big bucks didnt take a mark either. Coach said it was mids delivery & the deep forwards (Fyfe, Tabs). So was Treacy unlucky or just the least experienced. JL is prepared to give Fyfe time to settle but not prepared to do the same with the youth?? Gerard Healy said Jason Dunstal wouldnt of got a kick in Freos forward line on Sunday

It's a big picture thing with Fyfe though. They've decided spending time exclusively as a forward, with the resulting 100% focus on it, is the best thing for him to hone his forward craft. Has no small merit.

It also means the young mids get more opportunities to do their own development.
How can you say that the club thinks big picture when they refuse to blood our gun forwards.

I still think the decision making went something like:
(1) We lacked run and kilometres in the forward line due to there being too many talls (which was an experiment compared to our normal setup). As a consequence we will drop the least experienced tall forward.
(2) We are bringing in a running forward so who to choose? Walters is unavailable. We will bring in the next most experienced forward which will give us the most kilometres in Banfield.

Remember that games' experience has been a strong selection criteria for us (and many other clubs) for the last ten years. You could argue that is what is dominating in this set.

The other key metric is kilometres run; I honestly think that had O'Driscoll been deemed fit then Henry could have lost his spot to him purely on the basis that Hughes and Aish ran more kilometres, and that O'Driscoll would clock up more.

I think in that frame of reference, the outcome was quite predictable. If it makes people feel better, I think you could argue that Banfield is a placeholder for Walters. Should Sturt have been that placeholder? I am sure he was closer than many think.
If I had seen Henry dropped to keep Hughes in the team, I'm not sure what would have been left of my phone or PC

We literally have no idea if Treacy and Sturt are any good. Even Crowden got 30 odd games Tucker over 100 lmao
Look at that team we had when we played North last year, that is what we should be trying to roll out for this game.

How can you say that the club thinks big picture when they refuse to blood our gun forwards.
I said it's big picture with Fyfe. It's pretty simple and logically distinct.

However, there's a number of views on how young forward can best develop, so whether you agree or not, it could be argued the bigger picture is to allow them to develop (to a level) away from the ultra frenetic conditions of the AFL.

If I had seen Henry dropped to keep Hughes in the team, I'm not sure what would have been left of my phone or PC

And yet it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility with our selection committee atm. I can't shake the disappointment and a couple of wins against low ranked teams won't change that.

I still think the decision making went something like:
(1) We lacked run and kilometres in the forward line due to there being too many talls (which was an experiment compared to our normal setup). As a consequence we will drop the least experienced tall forward.
(2) We are bringing in a running forward so who to choose? Walters is unavailable. We will bring in the next most experienced forward which will give us the most kilometres in Banfield.

Remember that games' experience has been a strong selection criteria for us (and many other clubs) for the last ten years. You could argue that is what is dominating in this set.

The other key metric is kilometres run; I honestly think that had O'Driscoll been deemed fit then Henry could have lost his spot to him purely on the basis that Hughes and Aish ran more kilometres, and that O'Driscoll would clock up more.

I think in that frame of reference, the outcome was quite predictable. If it makes people feel better, I think you could argue that Banfield is a placeholder for Walters. Should Sturt have been that placeholder? I am sure he was closer than many think.
Fair summary on how they likely got to that but leaders can make safe decisions that are wrong in the long term.

There is no one on this board that doesn't believe that we haven't seen everything that BB brings to the game. He's a good bloke by all accounts and gives his best and that's great and I won't bag him for it. It's all you can ask of someone.

However, BB is unlikely to influence the outcome of whether we beat North or not. So does it matter that he gets put in? Well yes. Spots are getting tight and we have first round talent sitting in the sheds and we just lost 4 players to other clubs.

I get that Amiss might make us too tall so gets left out this week after a failed go tall experiment. But at least JLo gave it a go in R1.

But then we have Sturt and Ras. Both ready to go apparently. One a top 10 mid, the other a talented goal scoring mid forward who JLo has indicated has now ticked all the boxes and was emergency last week. Geelong used to put a young Bartel and Ablett Jr in the forward line until they were ready for the middle. Sydney always did it too with their young mids. So there is no excuse not to do it with Ras. He's a crazy wrecking ball with speed and knows where the goals are.

I think this was a complete fail by JLo and selection panel. BB will likely have little effect on the outcome and we should (hopefully) still get the win regardless. But after the feelings were subsiding after a horror unexpected loss, his club's supporters considering memberships and merchandise are all now up in arms about a conservative nothing selection as well as the horror loss when they could be a lot more excited to see at least a Sturt finally come back in, or letting loose the Raz demon. Very bad move all round (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back