Review Changes v. St. Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure of the changes as I'll have to read the report.

Lynch looks like he needs a week off to get some oxygen back. Looks stuffed out there now.

Horsley also looking less and less effective as the weeks go by. Starting to fatigue?

Other than that, not sure. Would like to bring in Brennan, but not sure on how his game was in the Coaches eyes.

Fraser might be looking at some game time too. Put Hickey up into Lynch's position at CHF and Fraser as the first ruck. Hickey a great contested mark. Fraser can battle it out in the ruck a little more effectively.

Reckon Hickey will be more effective in the ruck than as a forward. Bring back Brennan and chuck him on the half forward line in place of Lynch. Maybe Horse will get a rest, Prestia to come back in.

Might be time to give Allen a go?

Brennan has to return and stick him in the square as a target. At least he'll attract a key defender.

Horsley was overlooked in many drafts for being slow. Keep playing him at Metricon but away from the MCG, Aami and Pattersons etc.

Rischitelli has been really disappointing this year but have to keep him in the team I guess.

How is Maverick Weller going in the 2's?

FB: Brown Warnock Shaw
HB: Horsely Thompson Iles
C: Bennell Hunt Russell
HF: Matera Lynch Stanley
FF: Hall Day Brennan

R: Hickey Ro: Ablett RR: Rischatelli

Inter: Mckenzie Wilkenson Mcqualter Prestia

How I would probably line them up?

I may have missed someone. If Lynch needs a break put in Fraser in his place and rotate between Fraser and Hickey, and Matera only if he is healthy.

The Saints are a great team, but 2 places we may be able to get it working in our favour is they don't have a top line ruckman with Mc Evoy and Stanley going down, so leaving Blake to do the bulk of their ruck work. Also their defence is pretty neat and quick but can be under sized at times, with sometimes Gilbert taking a key defence post, so if the conditions suit possibly trying to stretch them up front could be handy?

As always our weakness may be our defence, hope to god Riewoldt and Kosi don't get a hold of us. Warnock to Kosi and Thompson to Riewoldt is how I would set them up.

I will be mortified if Warnock goes to Kozi. He'd get monstered.

Rotate Warnock and Brennan on Riewoldt. I would say Lynch too, but Lynch looked stuffed last week and I wouldn't dare put him on Riewoldt after a 6 day break.

Thompson is the suitable match-up for Kozi I think. Kozi is the type to sit in the square and reach over everyone to get his marks. He won't be able to do that with Rory on him.

Plenty has changed about the Saints squad since we last played them. Of course, plenty has also changed about the Suns side.

I'm feeling slightly optimistic about our chances. The boys usually come out firing after a big loss (Essendon for example). Saints are also without their first choices of ruck. They are putting Blake in there, who while doing a serviceable job, is certainly no full-time ruck.

If our named ruck can get first hands and give our midfield first use, it will deliver it into the forward 50 much more than it did against the Pies. Like their ruck stocks, the Saints are also injury ravaged in their talls. Fisher is still out for them, leaving Gilbert to be their KPD I think?

It will be definitely won in the midfield, this game. If we can at least break even in the clearances, I'd give us a chance.

Changes in the squad since their last encounter

For Suns:
OUT: Matera(inj), Swallow(inj), Weller(form), May(inj), Taylor(form), Brennan(form), Harbrow(inj), Prestia(inj?)
IN: Iles, Stanley, Thompson, McQualter, Horsley, Day, Magin, Sexton

Their midfield is still quite in tact. Fingers crossed that they decide to rest some like Hayes against us. He's getting old. He needs the R&R. :D

Warnock will be having nightmares all week about Kozi and Riewoldt.
I would put Hickey on Riewoldt, as he demonstrated he has the mobility, fitness and ticker to go with such a ranging CHF as the Hun.

This leaves Thompson to sit on Kozi, body to body, its the only match-up Bluey can make. Wilko will have to get on Goddard or whatever other tall they throw forward.

I'd actually put Warnock on nuisance Milne. At least he'll know all his tricks and with a bigger body he may be able to creatively sit on him.

Blueys reliance on Smith and Lynch to share the rucking has finally but predictably come unstuck. GC must put Fraser and Nicholls in for rucking if Hickey is pocketed for the Hun.

Put Moss in at FF, leaving Day at CHF. Patrick at HF flank. Brennan in.
Rest Horsley, Lynch, Prestia and Tape till after the Rd 13 bye.
BTW is Magin up to AFL level ?

The season went out the window with Q3 v Port, so GC may as well build for next year by blooding talls and greenhorns. Who better to test them with than Saints and North ? Saints are a tall timber team, GC has to bring out its tall timber. No-one wants to see GC delivered another 100 pt hiding.

Wont hapen but I would dump:

Magin- Wont be at club 2013 onwards so best to get games into blokes that will be.
Rischitelli- Barely noticed yesterday, let him find form in the neafl.
Hunt- Head to head with Beams, got destroyed. Let him play neafl so he knows he still has alot of work to do.

Also I would dump Caddy but keep playing him to build his trade value given he is a chance to bail post season.

In:

Brennan- Play him as a mismatch in the centre
Weller- A good player, let him tag Hayes or Dal Santo
Prestia- If fit, if not next best available small man.

Just looking at the St. Kilda players that are out.

Fisher, Stanley and McEvoy and to a lesser extent Geary will all be missing. All four of those players destroyed us last time. McEvoy in particular monstered us, as did Fisher.

With them out, it hopefully gives us more of a chance. Not only in the ruck but also up forward with Day now in the team.

Going by a Reserves report, I would say that Smith, Brennan and Weller would all be chances to come in from the 2s.

Horsley a chance to go out.

Word on the street (total gangster) is that he's very, very sore. Given his lackluster performances lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rested until the clash with West Coast in round 14. Heading home to Subi and all that.

He really added some defensive aspects to his game in the middle when he came into the side, but lately he's just plodding along without much gas at all. Seen him often struggling to get to contests. Not sure if he's injured or what, but definitely needs some time off to get himself right.

As he and Hall are finding out, AFL is a tough bizz!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heard something the other day about time spent on the bench, and they were talking about some other player, may have been izzy folau that he spents the most time on the bench for rests, and horse was second with an average of 6min.

did he go over to arizona? i can't remember if he did or not. i doubt he's injured, probably just doesn't have the fitness to run out games at the moment.

heard something the other day about time spent on the bench, and they were talking about some other player, may have been izzy folau that he spents the most time on the bench for rests, and horse was second with an average of 6min.

did he go over to arizona? i can't remember if he did or not. i doubt he's injured, probably just doesn't have the fitness to run out games at the moment.

Didn't go to Arizona. That was before the final drafts.

Horse started with such huge numbers, there was no way he would be able to maintain that for long. At least until people started giving him attention.

He lasted nearly the same length as Hally did before he had to miss a few to get himself right. Not unexpected really.

no mention of smith to come back in after BOG is the 2nds?

I thought Hickey was good in the ruck. Raw but contested marking and positioning was good. Bit hard to drop him after that performance. St Kilda have McEvoy and Stanley out so not sure we need an extra. If picked, he plays deep forward as a target which we're lacking.

Since our previous thread has vanished after the migration (though will likely popup in the next couple of days), we can continue to discuss the game here. I will merge it with the old one when it becomes available.

Just discussing the changes, Lynch will be an out with a foot injury.

With Dixon already injured, who does this leave as a solid CHF option. Stanley to move back to CHF maybe? Or will we see Brennan come back into the side with this role?

Keep everyone happy by playing Brennan in the forward line.

And i'd probably bring May back in if he is ready.

Keep everyone happy by playing Brennan in the forward line.

And i'd probably bring May back in if he is ready.

Named in the best 6 last week in the NEAFL. I would rate him a good chance to come back in. Tape as well.

BigFooty SUNS
@AFL_mikewhiting How's the mood around the club mate? Sucks that Lynch is injured now too. With Charlie already down, we're short on CHFs!

Michael Whiting ‏
@BigFootySUNS they were very UP today (but it was all ball games and mucking around!). Maybe Rory/Maysie - one CHF, one CHB? Not sure ....

On the AFL website:
With a six-day turnaround after its 97-point loss against Collingwood on Sunday, the Suns replaced its usual main training session with a lighter hit-out on Wednesday.

Players broke off into different groups and played a mixture of touch footy, European handball and other ball games.

"The confidence doesn't seem to wane too much," Brown said.

"That's the good thing with young guys, they're really enthusiastic. Monday's a new week and we look forward to a new challenge."
Hope Browny's right. Boys are looking far more weary and we've taken a few hits injury wise. But ideally we'd like a much better showing.​

Smith could play at CHF, changing in the Ruck with Hickey. Alternately they could try Day at CHF & change the Rucks at FF.

Official changes:

Out: Horsley, Magin, Wilkinson, Lynch
In: Brennan, Toy, Matera, Tape

FB: Tape, Warnock, Stanley
HB: Iles, Thompson, McKenzie,
C: Rischitelli, Hunt, Sexton
HF: Bennell, Brennan, McQualter
FF: Shaw, Day, Russell

Fol: Hickey, Caddy, Ablett

Int: Toy, Brown, Matera, Hall

Toy for the sub for mine. Good changes all around.

Brennan at CHF! Did I call it or what? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back