Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
doesn't have great communication skills, isn't tactically astute but is good in a one-on-one situation.
That seems contradictory, but hey let's not bring logic into this. His coaching record at an extremely poorly run club was exceptional not to mention his exemplary record against us when we were still at our best.

As for Ratts, doesn't have great communication skills, isn't tactically astute but is good in a one-on-one situation. That's from someone who knew him well at the Blues. He wasn't picked to take over from Clarkson when Clarko was ill and consistently gets passed over - sometimes not even interviewed - for head coaching jobs.
David Parkin seems to think he'd be a great coach and so do many other respected voices in the game, Bomber Thompson urged Carlton to look at him for their senior coaching role this season and Mark Bickley thought Ratts would be the perfect coach for Adelaide had his son not been tragically killed. The only reason he didn't take over for Clarko is because last year he publicly stated he didn't want a senior coaching role but earlier this season (before said tragedy) he said it was back on the cards. He has senior experience has just spent significant time at the premier club in the land which by all reports loves him and respects him as a coach and person so that's good enough for me. It doesn't matter anyway as it seems his personal life will trump any further ambition unfortunately.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...te-port-adelaide/story-e6frf3e3-1226462150835

David Parkin seems to think he'd be a great coach and so do many other respected voices in the game, Bomber Thompson urged Carlton to look at him for their senior coaching role this season and Mark Bickley thought Ratts would be the perfect coach for Adelaide had his son not been tragically killed. The only reason he didn't take over for Clarko is because last year he publicly stated he didn't want a senior coaching role but earlier this season (before said tragedy) he said it was back on the cards. He has senior experience has just spent significant time at the premier club in the land which by all reports loves him and respects him as a coach and person so that's good enough for me. It doesn't matter anyway as it seems his personal life will trump any further ambition unfortunately.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...te-port-adelaide/story-e6frf3e3-1226462150835

Then it's a moot point because we'll never know.

I respect your right to an opinion, as we all are, but the only discussion that is really pertinent now is how we anticipate CS will approach 2016 with a new team, and in time, how he may or may not be meeting the expectations of fans, players and club managers.

We are all keenly aware of where you stand on a certain Mr Scott, but from here the fairest course of action would be to hold your fire until 2016 proves you right or wrong.

Really! How?
Parkin thinks everyone is a great coach. Nice bloke, but is known to go over the top regularly. Try listening to him on Friday nights on 774 next year and you'll get it.
That seems contradictory, but hey let's not bring logic into this. His coaching record at an extremely poorly run club was exceptional not to mention his exemplary record against us when we were still at our best.
He's regarded as being okay at interacting conversationally one-on-one but when addressing the group he struggled.

I appreciate you not wanting to address the practical issues. Passed over as coach in Clarkson's absence despite being the most senior and experienced coach. Has been passed over for job after job, not even getting and interview on occasions. His coaching record win/ loss is barely 50% - half that in finals - compared to the coach you want to replace at over 70%.

Then there's Dew. Who you understandably fail to comment on.

He's regarded as being okay at interacting conversationally one-on-one but when addressing the group he struggled.

I appreciate you not wanting to address the practical issues. Passed over as coach in Clarkson's absence despite being the most senior and experienced coach. Has been passed over for job after job, not even getting and interview on occasions. His coaching record win/ loss is barely 50% - half that in finals - compared to the coach you want to replace at over 70%.

Then there's Dew. Who you understandably fail to comment on.
He wasn't even entertaining being a senior coach again really until earlier this year so no wonder he was passed over at interviews he probably wasn't even going to them? He openly said last year he wasn't interested in a senior coaching role hence why he passed up the role in Clarkson's absence. Scott's winning record of over 70% compares at the same time in his career really well with Allan Joyce's so it's a bit of an illusion as to whether he's a great coach or not. As for Dew he'll be a good senior coach one day because he has great footy instincts and will be tactically astute, also there's this...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-02/dew-a-standout-in-afl-coaching-accreditation-course

Sounds like someone better suited to life as an Assistant Coach to me. One on one's and small 'line' group chats.

Sounds like someone better suited to life as an Assistant Coach to me. One on one's and small 'line' group chats.
Does anyone think Beveridge is good talking to the group? Have you seen the guy on T.V or in post match interviews? Beveridge is just a damn good coach with a great philosophy and the players want to play for him, being eloquent when speaking to groups doesn't mean f@#K all, it's about how you foster relationships with the players as individuals that will win you the respect and trust of the group not if you can get up and speak like you swallowed a bloody dictionary.

And Thompson. And Ayres. And Blight.

It seems now that prior senior experience isn't necessarily essential, but experience as an assistant has become virtually mandatory.
Blight had previous experience coaching North.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call! Thanks for correcting me. Wasn't he the last playing coach or something?
Not sure to tell you the truth, I seem to remember he might've been for his first season then full time coach but I can't be sure.

Cook also said this of Scott's coaching and our result this season which you said met Cooks expectations...Certainly doesn't sound like it did in the quote below.
“Our aim is to finish top four.
“It was this year too, by the way, but it didn’t go our way, and it’s our key performance indicator to make the top four.'

Buddy your living in your own little fantasy world .Cook said 2 days ago that Scott has done a marvellous job as coach and your telling us that Scott has failed to meet Cooks expectations.

I think Brian Cooks knows if Chris Scott has failed to meet Brian Cooks expectations.

As for aiming to make the top 4 , offcourse were going to aim to make the top 4, do you want us to aim to make the bottom 4 ?

Last edited:
Oh c'mon seriously?!? Bomber didn't get 4 promising recruits in his 4th year rebuilding one of which is in the top three best players in the comp and another who was the vice captain of his club.

it wasnt Thompsons 4th year , it was his 7th year .We were premiership favourites after round 2 .

Last edited:
It would be five years rebuilding (six years in total at the helm after 2016), not four.
And Thompson took the club to the finals in his very first season as coach, took them to a preliminary final a few years later and then nearly toppled the all conquering Sydney Swans on their home deck the following year before giving us fans one awful season of coaching come 2006 which nearly ended his coaching career at the Cattery.

His finals record was 2-4 but there were clear signs of progression in each one of those losses as we were only blown away in one of them while the other three finals were virtually decided in the last minutes of the game.

After 2011, Chris Scott's coaching in finals has been relatively suspect. Apart from the 2013 preliminary final against Hawthorn, we really haven't looked like winning any of them. If we do make finals next year, but again fail to win a final, surely you will finally admit he has issues getting this team up for the important ones?
It'll be a similar situation to Damien Hardwick at Richmond who appears to run out of ideas come September.

2011 was not a rebuilding year. So its only 4 so far , next year would be 5 .2006 Was Thompsons 7th.

I agree that not winning finals is bad , but not making the finals is even worse .Scott has been able to get rebuilding sides into finals on 3 out of 4 occasions ,while Thompson was only able to get a rebuilding Geelong side in 1 out of 4 finals series .Had Geelong of made the finals in 2001-2003 under Thompson we would of been destroyed.

If we don't win a final this year than defiantly we have a problem , but I don't think at them moment we have some type of problem with finals.

Has the though ever occurred to anyone that Hawthorn and Freemantle just had better sides than us ?
I think we were also totally out of gas at the end of 2014 and 2015 due to injuries and the age demographic of our list.

Last edited:
Funny I don't remember saying anywhere I was a coaching expert, I just think we can do better than Scott. I've said this before and I'll say it again if Ratten felt up to it (given the death of his son) I'd take him in a minute, and if not probably fatty Stuart Dew (he owes us for 2008) or Lloyd.

Ratterns time at Carlton was a failure , In 5 years he couldn't do any better than winning 1 qualifying final. This is despite having a large number of early draft picks that most coaches would dream off.

You probably don't know the first thing about Dew or Lloyd.

He wasn't even entertaining being a senior coach again really until earlier this year so no wonder he was passed over at interviews he probably wasn't even going to them? He openly said last year he wasn't interested in a senior coaching role hence why he passed up the role in Clarkson's absence. Scott's winning record of over 70% compares at the same time in his career really well with Allan Joyce's so it's a bit of an illusion as to whether he's a great coach or not. As for Dew he'll be a good senior coach one day because he has great footy instincts and will be tactically astute, also there's this...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-02/dew-a-standout-in-afl-coaching-accreditation-course
Mate, his interview for the Blues job was appalling. When questioned he admitted he prepared poorly. He may be a good coach - to say he will is just silly - one day but he's done nothing to show there's much confidence in him where it counts as we speak. I pay little attention to accreditation courses. I've seen too many come through lesser courses -both as sports coaches and umpires -with flying colours and turn out to be duds. Thing is the first couple of years are a learning process, as accomplished coaches have admitted.

Why you'd replace someone with a win record of 70% with someone on training wheels is astonishing. To suggest a 70% + winning record is "an illusion" is yet another illustration of your lack of understanding. Just as is your overestimate of Ratts - with a win record of around 50% and 25% in finals.

As for your comment that Ratts "passed up" the role when Clarkson was ill - it's nonsense. As the HS reported at the time.

Bolton was the Box Hill head coach for two seasons and now coaches the Hawthorn midfield, and was chosen unanimously despite the credentials of former Blues coach Brett Ratten.

Last edited:
I pay little attention to accreditation courses. I've seen too many come through lesser courses -both as sports coaches and umpires -with flying colours and turn out to be duds
He's not just coming through 'a' course he's acing the highest grade course in the land designed specifically to train future AFL coaches and only even accessible to a select few. I'm sorry I destroyed your point about Dew but don't take it out on the course.

Mate, his interview for the Blues job was appalling. When questioned he admitted he prepared poorly. He may be a good coach - to say he will is just silly - one day but he's done nothing to show there's much confidence in him where it counts as we speak. I pay little attention to accreditation courses. I've seen too many come through lesser courses -both as sports coaches and umpires -with flying colours and turn out to be duds. Thing is the first couple of years are a learning process, as accomplished coaches have admitted.

Why you'd replace someone with a win record of 70% with someone on training wheels is astonishing. To suggest a 70% + winning record is "an illusion" is yet another illustration of your lack of understanding. Just as is your overestimate of Ratts - with a win record of around 50% and 25% in finals.

As for your comment that Ratts "passed up" the role when Clarkson was ill - it's nonsense. As the HS reported at the time.
'Bolton was the Box Hill head coach for two seasons and now coaches the Hawthorn midfield, and was chosen unanimously despite the credentials of former Blues coach Brett Ratten.'
It doesn't even say Brett Ratten ran for the job, it's just an assumption made by the articles writer that Hawthorn would've been considering Brett Ratten. Here's a quote from Ratten within 6/7 weeks of Bolton getting the gig in July 2014
'Asked on Sunday on Melbourne radio if he still had a burning desire to coach again at the senior level, the former Blues champion said:
“Yeah I still have,’’ Ratten said on 3AW.
“I have down the track (that desire to be a senior coach again) ... maybe the opportunity might come, but it might not either and that doesn’t bother me either.’’
You find better evidence than that HS article that he was actually in the running and I'll happily admit I was wrong until then I'm sticking with what I said.

'Bolton was the Box Hill head coach for two seasons and now coaches the Hawthorn midfield, and was chosen unanimously despite the credentials of former Blues coach Brett Ratten.'
It doesn't even say Brett Ratten ran for the job, it's just an assumption made by the articles writer that Hawthorn would've been considering Brett Ratten. Here's a quote from Ratten within 6/7 weeks of Bolton getting the gig in July 2014
'Asked on Sunday on Melbourne radio if he still had a burning desire to coach again at the senior level, the former Blues champion said:
“Yeah I still have,’’ Ratten said on 3AW.
“I have down the track (that desire to be a senior coach again) ... maybe the opportunity might come, but it might not either and that doesn’t bother me either.’’
You find better evidence than that HS article that he was actually in the running and I'll happily admit I was wrong until then I'm sticking with what I said.
Pointless continuing buddy. You're all over the place.

but not ok for Scott to miss the finals after spending only 4 years rebuilding ?
Oh c'mon seriously?!? Bomber didn't get 4 promising recruits in his 4th year rebuilding one of which is in the top three best players in the comp and another who was the vice captain of his club.
Now do you understand which part of your comment I was referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back