Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see a problem supporters questioning Chris as much as we should also question playing group and assistant coaches a little more access to non critical decision making by all parties we win together we lose together....

2011 was a good list

2011 was a surprise to most of us here
did not see it coming , have to admit.

We started the year winning close ones, hanged in there.
Come the end of the year we were the best side
Chris Scott has to take credit for that.

Now finally we are at "transition" ,lets see how things go
maybe Balmes's input in those years have been underestimated
big challenge ahead

How many of those are now entrenched in the side? On average, how many games have those younger players played? Could we have debuted more than that? Should we have? A large portion of those debuts took place in 2012, which saw names such as Orren Stephenson, Jackson Sheringham, Jesse Stringer, Jonathan Simpkin, and Jordan Schroder make their debut. Where are they now?

Who cares? They just weren't good enough….Simpkin perhaps the exception….perhaps...

The worst mistake Scott makes is his inability to go all in with a strategy, gamelan or list management. I recall vividly his appraisal of our midfield after last year's loss to North Melbourne. He was consistent in mentioning the midfield was only going to get better. Selwood at 26 was our most experienced and it could only improve from there. We were outclassed by a more seasoned midfield was his reasoning. Fast forward 6 months and he's throwing Bartel, Kelly into the mix. Continuing with Stokes as an outside runner with little pace. Starting Horlin-smith in the vfl. Playing Duncan as a defensive tagger. That alone tells me his commitment long term is constantly shifting. Now maybe I'm being irrational here but the philosophy changes constantly. I was genuinely excited at the start of pre season however the midfield atm looks to have regressed. And yeah Chris Scott the questions are directed at you.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Did you not see the post where I highlighted that 24 players had debuted under Scott? That's his list management plan. We did play two of the best midfields going around (add Sydney to the pot too). Let's see how we go against some more potato-ey teams.
However, you make some salient points with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
I'm a hater because of many poor decisions made since 2012.

2011 he did everything right, rested oldies through the season keeping them fresh, played kids ahead of some old favourites and made tough decisions.

he has been steadily getting worse over the years and last years trade period says it all

- failed to retire or trade out older players
- trading Varcoe for Clark even though we had Melbourne bent over
- losing Hunt, Brown and Christensen (whether you rate brown or hunt they are decent depth players on an unbalanced list)
- pick 21 for Stanley (unless he can play as a no1 ruck successfully it's a waste of a pick as it'll likely force out kersten and walker)

2011 he did everything right, rested oldies through the season keeping them fresh, played kids ahead of some old favourites and made tough decisions.

he has been steadily getting worse over the years and last years trade period says it all

- losing Hunt, Brown and Christensen (whether you rate brown or hunt they are decent depth players on an unbalanced list)
- pick 21 for Stanley (unless he can play as a no1 ruck successfully it's a waste of a pick as it'll likely force out kersten and walker)

And this is why you are labeled a hater, Chris Scott doesn't head list management. Go sook about wells and hocking since it is actually THEIR job.

He's the coach. Not the list manager.

And this is why you are labeled a hater, Chris Scott doesn't head list management. Go sook about wells and hocking since it is actually THEIR job.
Wells and Balme actually Hocking hasn't been responsible for that at any end of season yet. That said I agree with the point you're making.

It's extremely rare that a coach inherits a list as talented as Geelong's. I think only Alan Joyce was luckier than Chris Scott in the era of non player-coach regarding an inherited list. Look what happened there. Both sides pretty much coached themselves, they both had immense talent and amazing on-field leaders.

I'm not trying to knock CS, but a little perspective is required. It's my opinion that most coaches would have gotten Geelong to win the flag in 2011. Chris Scott can't be faulted for what he did, he delivered us a premiership, but now the challenge of regenerating the list is upon him and Chris Scott's true test is what he achieves from here. And, unlike a lot on here, I'm happy to give him time.
Really? I didn't think we'd see a flag for another 10+ years at the end of 2010. We looked well and truly cooked.

No problem with that trade.We needed another big forward,we got him.

If Brown was such a huge loss then how is it no other club picked him up ?
As for Christensen,well nothing much the club could do there.
Don't really think Hunt is a big loss.Was never the same after his shoulder injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of those are now entrenched in the side? On average, how many games have those younger players played? Could we have debuted more than that? Should we have? A large portion of those debuts took place in 2012, which saw names such as Orren Stephenson, Jackson Sheringham, Jesse Stringer, Jonathan Simpkin, and Jordan Schroder make their debut. Where are they now?
Something like fewer than 10% of all players become 150-gamers, let alone the players who you mentioned who were all rookies except, I think, Schredder. Simpkin is definitely AFL-standard, by the way, but couldn't get a regular game with the club.

I'm not trying to knock CS, but a little perspective is required. It's my opinion that most coaches would have gotten Geelong to win the flag in 2011. Chris Scott can't be faulted for what he did, he delivered us a premiership, but now the challenge of regenerating the list is upon him and Chris Scott's true test is what he achieves from here. And, unlike a lot on here, I'm happy to give him time.

I've becoming less enamoured of Scott, especially over the last two seasons, but that doesn't diminish 2011 for me at all. Premierships are simply too hard to win. Our history is a litany of premierships we could have won or should have won, he actually did win one. I can't flippantly dismiss it by saying anyone could have done it. Very few actually do.

I'm not going to name names. Nothing constructive will come from it so there is no point. I would have thought that at the very least there would be a few posters that are pretty obvious in their hatred of Scott, but I'll leave it at that.

I disagree STC, you should. Insinuation is just as bad, and it's not exactly the most courageous way to accuse someone. Give them a chance to defend themselves.

The worst mistake Scott makes is his inability to go all in with a strategy, gamelan or list management. I recall vividly his appraisal of our midfield after last year's loss to North Melbourne. He was consistent in mentioning the midfield was only going to get better. Selwood at 26 was our most experienced and it could only improve from there. We were outclassed by a more seasoned midfield was his reasoning. Fast forward 6 months and he's throwing Bartel, Kelly into the mix. Continuing with Stokes as an outside runner with little pace. Starting Horlin-smith in the vfl. Playing Duncan as a defensive tagger. That alone tells me his commitment long term is constantly shifting. Now maybe I'm being irrational here but the philosophy changes constantly. I was genuinely excited at the start of pre season however the midfield atm looks to have regressed. And yeah Chris Scott the questions are directed at you.

Great point. That would be the main thing that confuses me the most as well. Our entire ruck division hinges on this, and yeah it does seem to change frequently.

I've becoming less enamoured of Scott, especially over the last two seasons, but that doesn't diminish 2011 for me at all. Premierships are simply too hard to win. Our history is a litany of premierships we could have won or should have won, he actually did win one. I can't flippantly dismiss it by saying anyone could have done it. Very few actually do.
Was Alan Joyce a great coach or a coach of a great side? I believe thar both played their part, as did Scott when he became the voice we needed to go the extra step. He definitely was the fresh pair of hands and provided the clarity required to re-piece together one of the greatest sides of the modern era. I am greatful eternally for that. But did it really test him?

I still believe that the greatest coaches are the ones that assemble the list from scratch. Al Clarkson, Mark Thompson (until he lost his hunger), Leigh Matthews to a lesser extent, Kevin Sheedy etc., they're the guys who did it from the ground up. Scott is about to be tested, big time. I wish him every success, as supporters we'll get the benefits.

Was Alan Joyce a great coach or a coach of a great side? I believe thar both played their part, as did Scott when he became the voice we needed to go the extra step. He definitely was the fresh pair of hands and provided the clarity required to re-piece together one of the greatest sides of the modern era. I am greatful eternally for that. But did it really test him?

As far as I'm concerned it did. Don't forget for a good chunk of that season Collingwood were regarded as very short odds to go back-to-back. Even after we beat them in Round 9 (or thereabouts). It wasn't until very deep into the season it was noticeable how well we were travelling, and of course underlined by the final round slaughter of Collingwood before the finals. He had the guts to throw in largely unproven performers in Hawkins and West and keep them there (in the same game too). Plus of course, he made two very tough calls in omitting Milburn and Mooney before the finals. I'd say he was tested absolutely.

"A total of 24 players have made their AFL debuts during Scott's coaching tenure, with some more debuts likely in the coming weeks as the transition continues." :thumbsu:
Damn those veterans getting all the games…

Go Catters

I disagree STC, you should. Insinuation is just as bad, and it's not exactly the most courageous way to accuse someone. Give them a chance to defend themselves.
I really don't think it takes much courage to name names on the internet. In fact it's quite easy and anyone can do it but it simply won't solve anything. I think that I'd just be wasting my time.

Just for the record though, I wasn't referring to you as one of those people. Although you've been harsh on CS at times at least you're willing to acknowledge the positive things that CS has brought to the club rather than only focusing on all of the negative things.

I really don't think it takes much courage to name names on the internet. In fact it's quite easy and anyone can do it but it simply won't solve anything. I think that I'd just be wasting my time.

Just for the record though, I wasn't referring to you as one of those people. Although you've been harsh on CS at times at least you're willing to acknowledge the positive things that CS has brought to the club rather than only focusing on all of the negative things.
It'd just start a big s**t fight. Even if there are some Scott haters amongst us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back