Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can take kersten's spot, because if he does nothing we still have the same output

Not so stupid actually. I seem to remember Mackie starting on the HFF. Also he has the ability to lay tackles take marks, and he can lead to that zone 55-60 meters out and is capable of going the distance with his kick just like Kersten.

I actually think this is an inspired observation Mahlepi.

Not so stupid actually. I seem to remember Mackie starting on the HFF. Also he has the ability to lay tackles take marks, and he can lead to that zone 55-60 meters out and is capable of going the distance with his kick just like Kersten.

I actually think this is an inspired observation Mahlepi.

Mackie was moved to the back line because he was crap as a forward.

I'm not sure Duncan could have proved more emphatically over the past fortnight just how special he can be. He's a true match winner and if he can close the gap between his best and his worst, he'll be an AA candidate, year after year. I love the way he plays and that's why it's so frustrating when he has those games where he's just not there.

I noticed last night the effect of the Channel 7 commentary box on Cameron Ling. At one point he piped up with "this is the best Duncan has played in some time". I thought, yeah about 6 days actually, as he tore Richmond to shreds too.

Very encouraging sign last night was how much time Duncan spent in the centre square and how he still racked up the touches. If he can really add contested possessions to his armoury - and he won 18 of them last night - then he can go to a whole other level.

I noticed last night the effect of the Channel 7 commentary box on Cameron Ling. At one point he piped up with "this is the best Duncan has played in some time". I thought, yeah about 6 days actually, as he tore Richmond to shreds too.

Very encouraging sign last night was how much time Duncan spent in the centre square and how he still racked up the touches. If he can really add contested possessions to his armoury - and he won 18 of them last night - then he can go to a whole other level.

Yep, that inside/outside game that Christensen had, along with consistency (and they're closely linked) are probably the last pieces to the puzzle.

it's interesting to see Guthrie move back into his old position across half back which has given Duncan a little more freedom, or perhaps allowed him to take up Guthrie's role.
With the way Thurlow and Bews are currently developing, Guthrie moved back as that Enright replacement, we actually could start to see Duncan really elevate his game now.
Same for Caddy.

Too early to tell just yet, but I suspect not having a few of the veterans around has allowed these guys to get more of their share of the footy.

Mackie was moved to the back line because he was crap as a forward.
Before you say "what's changed?", my own recollection was that Mackie was a real skinny young player who was doing ok as a HFF til he copped a hospital pass from Ben Graham in a game v NM many years ago. It really delayed his progress, then he went to the wing for starters and was impressive.
His goal kicking prowess was here to see back then; that's why I often think he'd be good there now.

Before you say "what's changed?", my own recollection was that Mackie was a real skinny young player who was doing ok as a HFF til he copped a hospital pass from Ben Graham in a game v NM many years ago. It really delayed his progress, then he went to the wing for starters and was impressive.
His goal kicking prowess was here to see back then; that's why I often think he'd be good there now.

I remember that he was ineffectual as a HFF 2004-6, getting neither kicks nor goals, and generally failing to show the foresight to seize opportunities that were there with a hard attack on the ball.
He got a few more kicks when he moved to the wing later in 2006.

I remember that he was ineffectual as a HFF 2004-6, getting neither kicks nor goals, and generally failing to show the foresight to seize opportunities that were there with a hard attack on the ball.
He got a few more kicks when he moved to the wing later in 2006.
Me too.

But , really early on, he had that P factor about him.

Must be an eligible young Saint somewhere in that great win today

McKenzie, Lonie and Sinclair were St Kilda's only eligible players today. None of them within a country mile of either Thurlow or Gregson as far as I'm concerned and I'd be fascinated to see how anyone could mount a serious case for them. The thing about St Kilda being shit for an extended time now is that any player with any talent in his second or third year has already gone well past the 10-game threshold, as opposed to someone like Thurlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie, Lonie and Sinclair were St Kilda's only eligible players today. None of them within a country mile of either Thurlow or Gregson as far as I'm concerned and I'd be fascinated to see how anyone could mount a serious case for them. The thing about St Kilda being shit for an extended time now is that any player with any talent in his second or third year has already gone well past the 10-game threshold, as opposed to someone like Thurlow.
10 games.
Agree totally.
Thurlow is all class. Surprises me he has played so few games.
Gregson reminds me of a young (hairy) Chappy.

Interesting in the post-match someone asked Scott about Blicavs and what type of player he was and Scott gave the usual spiel about how they're not sure yet and he could be a defender or a ruck or a mid blah blah. But then he finished with 'We're not sure of his position....but I hope we settle it faster than we did with Mitch Duncan.' I guess you can read too much into these things but it seemed to confirm at minimum that there was an extended debate over where to play Duncan and that it's now been settled.

Swans had 61 inside 50s to our 48 but, more importantly, had 19 marks inside 50 to our 8.

They stuffed up quite a few kicks on goal, so we weren't really put to the sword early but they made us pay in the 4th.

Nothing Scotty can do about that.

The Swans were always going to go hard in McVeigh's 250th

Swans had 61 inside 50s to our 48 but, more importantly, had 19 marks inside 50 to our 8.

They stuffed up quite a few kicks on goal, so we weren't really put to the sword early but they made us pay in the 4th.

Nothing Scotty can do about that.

The Swans were always going to go hard in McVeigh's 250th

Inside 50s were 30-25 our way at half time, meaning Swans won the second half 36-18.

Gee, didn't take long to resurrect this thread, did it? :rolleyes:
Just wait until the more prominent Scott bashers return.

Simply we were beaten by a better, more experienced and hardened team tonight. We stuck at the task for a half but couldn't sustain it and losing Duncan didn't help the cause either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back