Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking news. Scott thinks the fadeouts could be an issue,but believes there not work rate or fitness related,he's going to review the tapes of the Collingwood and Swans game and find the common denominator.
Hear is my tip for Scotty,not enough contributors for four quarters for varying reasons including.Young bodies just not yet capable of sustaining 4 quarters,the over 30's a yard or two off the pace especially in the second half,and the Elephant in the selection room continuing to give blokes games who don't contribute at all possibly due to the fact that our list just isn't that good across all areas and therefore no real option than to play them before they are ready.

Breaking news. Scott thinks the fadeouts could be an issue,but believes there not work rate or fitness related,he's going to review the tapes of the Collingwood and Swans game and find the common denominator.
Hear is my tip for Scotty,not enough contributors for four quarters for varying reasons including.Young bodies just not yet capable of sustaining 4 quarters,the over 30's a yard or two off the pace especially in the second half,and the Elephant in the selection room continuing to give blokes games who don't contribute at all possibly due to the fact that our list just isn't that good across all areas and therefore no real option than to play them before they are ready.

Scott has now said several times in answer to questions about "poor work-rate" that it's simply a convenient journo fall-back expression for those who don't have a clue what the real problems are.

Yes, but I think there's deeper answers than that to find - such as when the legs to start to run out, what it is that gives that's important?
Do we fail to get the same run out of half-back?
Why does our delivery into fifty change?
Do we maintain our desired setup around clearances?
&etc.

Scott has now said several times in answer to questions about "poor work-rate" that it's simply a convenient journo fall-back expression for those who don't have a clue what the real problems are.
I don't think he said that it was journos, but he was pretty much spot-on to be honest. "Not going in hard" and "not working hard" are the two lazy bits of analysis that seem to rear up their ugly heads every time a team performs anywhere below a previously set standard and sometimes it can be true, sometimes it can be lazy journalism.

He was quite blunt in saying it last time too
And he has ruled out fitness as well so what the problem? it's not new.I think he's wrong FITNESS AND WORK RATE GO HAND IN HAND,our boys maybe as fit as they can possibly be given some have so few preseasons and some possible one to many and not enough in the middle, he will waste his time looking at videos for the answer to this question IMO.

And he has ruled out fitness as well so what the problem? it's not new.I think he's wrong FITNESS AND WORK RATE GO HAND IN HAND,our boys maybe as fit as they can possibly be given some have so few preseasons and some possible one to many and not enough in the middle, he will waste his time looking at videos for the answer to this question IMO.

Yep, you've got to be fit to maintain the work rate, but he says that isn't it and wouldn't divulge his perception of the problem anyhow.

What he perceives it to be I've no idea.

Yep, you've got to be fit to maintain the work rate, but he says that isn't it and wouldn't divulge his perception of the problem anyhow.

What he perceives it to be I've no idea.
Hasn't he been saying for nearly 18 months or more they know what the problem is, and now he's going to start looking at videos.I'm missing something here.

Hasn't he been saying for nearly 18 months or more they know what the problem is, and now he's going to start looking at videos.I'm missing something here.

and I'm no help either. Just not smart enough.

What can it be if it isn't fitness itself, but affects fitness and thereby the ability to run games out? :confused:

So last year we weren't fit enough , so clean out the fitness team and get a new one. This year we are not able to run out games and this could be due to a lack of fitness.
Does anyone really know what is going on. New assistant/support/ development coaches please or else Scott has to carry the blame. If Caracellas coaching is as bad as his interview on Duncan then heaven help us.

So last year we weren't fit enough , so clean out the fitness team and get a new one. This year we are not able to run out games and this could be due to a lack of fitness.
Does anyone really know what is going on. New assistant/support/ development coaches please or else Scott has to carry the blame. If Caracellas coaching is as bad as his interview on Duncan then heaven help us.

we as fans dont know the inner circle so we must follow chris scott to the letter.

any less......take it to the bay

Yes, but I think there's deeper answers than that to find - such as when the legs to start to run out, what it is that gives that's important?
Do we fail to get the same run out of half-back?
Why does our delivery into fifty change?
Do we maintain our desired setup around clearances?
&etc.

and I suspect a great deal of it is mental toughness. When good teams begin to up the ante, as they know the game is there for the taking, I think quite a few of our players are not thinking positively. It's probably a case of "here we go again". They may wait for a few of the older heads to do something spectacular before they go full charge themselves but as it stands, collectively, you can sort of see the whole team dropping their heads when the opposition score 2, 3 quick goals in succession.

This is a very underrated side of sports, as it all played up stairs to a large extent. I don't wish to start another Chapman debate but I will use him as a prime example. Chapman always lifted when teams challenged. He, along with many others led the way and this is why his departure pretty much ripped the heart out of the club. I see a lot of fight and courage from emerging champions at the moment. Duncan and Motlop come to mind. Christensen had that ability to lift when games were in the balance, but there's not too many others with this ability to truly believe in themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and I suspect a great deal of it is mental toughness. When good teams begin to up the ante, as they know the game is there for the taking, I think quite a few of our players are not thinking positively. It's probably a case of "here we go again". They may wait for a few of the older heads to do something spectacular before they go full charge themselves but as it stands, collectively, you can sort of see the whole team dropping their heads when the opposition score 2, 3 quick goals in succession.

This is a very underrated side of sports, as it all played up stairs to a large extent. I don't wish to start another Chapman debate but I will use him as a prime example. Chapman always lifted when teams challenged. He, along with many others led the way and this is why his departure pretty much ripped the heart out of the club. I see a lot of fight and courage from emerging champions at the moment. Duncan and Motlop come to mind. Christensen had that ability to lift when games were in the balance, but there's not too many others with this ability to truly believe in themselves.
Yeh good post Bobby you can't ignore the mental aspect and it can be a double whammy, there will be sides out there now unlike in the past thinking they can run a good Geelong half time lead down by just sticking at it, so by default we need to bring 4 quarter to the table to get the 4 points from here on in as no one will just roll over and give us the easy points.

I am just so uninterested in a debate about the coach. There are so many issues we need to address in terms of our list, the coach is just not a key issue at the moment.

No one could coach us to a Premiership.

Club needs stability at this time while we rejuvenate the list.
It's an open question whether he is the right coach to rejuvenate the list. But it's pretty moot because (a) he's not going anywhere and (b) we won't know the answer until he's had a crack.

PS. Kudos for "uninterested" cf "disinterested". ;)

Hear is my tip for Scotty,not enough contributors for four quarters for varying reasons including.Young bodies just not yet capable of sustaining 4 quarters,the over 30's a yard or two off the pace especially in the second half,and the Elephant in the selection room continuing to give blokes games who don't contribute at all and possibly due to the fact that half of our list is injured :cry: .
Fixed that for you, YPO :D

Where's the bloody square brackets:mad:and the fade outs were occurring injuries or not.
Damn?? Did I miss your [square brackets], ypo?
What I actually meant to say was "the Elephant in the selection room continuing to give blokes games possibly due to the fact that half of our list is injured"
though I have no idea who that bloody elephant is. Thought you might have been talking about Balmy but he's gone. Is it Cooky?

Damn?? Did I miss your [square brackets], ypo?
What I actually meant to say was "the Elephant in the selection room continuing to give blokes games possibly due to the fact that half of our list is injured"
though I have no idea who that bloody elephant is. Thought you might have been talking about Balmy but he's gone. Is it Cooky?
I'm big on square brackets and Elephants these days,I think I'm losing it.

It's an open question whether he is the right coach to rejuvenate the list. But it's pretty moot because (a) he's not going anywhere and (b) we won't know the answer until he's had a crack.

If there is a coach out there with the magic pill to that gives an extra 50 games experience to the younger players, that half step of pace to the older ones, and an extra 3 preseasons to those that need a bit more strength, then bring him in. ( except Hird - he's busy).

In other words, whilst the coach plays an important role and is responsible for some of the issues at hand, the major ones he can't click the fingers to fix.

No one can.

GO Catters

To be honest, anything Scott has said in the last week doesn't worry me nearly as much as what Adam McNicol wrote about the loss to Sydney. Considering he singled out both Stokes and Caddy for praise, I'm kind of wondering what game he was actually viewing.

(To be clear I thought Stokes tried hard, but he looked every bit his age and the Sydney players hammered him every chance they got. Caddy just needs to atone with more touches this week.)

To be honest, anything Scott has said in the last week doesn't worry me nearly as much as what Adam McNicol wrote about the loss to Sydney. Considering he singled out both Stokes and Caddy for praise, I'm kind of wondering what game he was actually viewing.

(To be clear I thought Stokes tried hard, but he looked every bit his age and the Sydney players hammered him every chance they got. Caddy just needs to atone with more touches this week.)

Some of the kicks from Stokes were woeful as Sydney started to run over us. I put that game down as one he would like to forget. Unless live he was doing incredible things off the ball, then I'll gladly stand corrected.

First game back from an Achilles strain…Stokes was rusty no doubt,,,,at least as far as foot skills were concerned. He certainly found plenty of the ball….he will be better for the run.

Writing him off over that performance is blinkered thinking at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back