Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A really well thought out, intelligent post. A lot of it is right on the money and gives us some perspective of where we currently sit compared to the truly dark ages.

However, regarding the 'two for one' deal with Salem and Tyson, a lot of people gloss over the fact we also gave GWS an early second round pick as well.

(In all, we gave up picks 2, 20 and 72 and received Tyson, pick 9 and 53).

Who were the players picked with the other picks in the trade: 20 and 72 for them and 53 for us?

Surely not another #fistedforever chronicle?

A really well thought out, intelligent post. A lot of it is right on the money and gives us some perspective of where we currently sit compared to the truly dark ages.

However, regarding the 'two for one' deal with Salem and Tyson, a lot of people gloss over the fact we also gave GWS an early second round pick as well.

(In all, we gave up picks 2, 20 and 72 and received Tyson, pick 9 and 53).

Fair point.

What I was getting at still stands - we handed over pick 2 for 2 x top end talents.

We didnt need speculative picks (second round starts to become pretty speculative, I think). We needed definite senior players.

Even with Tyson being asked to work on some defensive aspects, I think this deal clearly improved our list from pre-Roos times.

Fair point.

What I was getting at still stands - we handed over pick 2 for 2 x top end talents.

We didnt need speculative picks (second round starts to become pretty speculative, I think). We needed definite senior players.

Even with Tyson being asked to work on some defensive aspects, I think this deal clearly improved our list from pre-Roos times.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree.

But, the whole 'two for one' deal is a fallacy.

It was pick 22 not pick 20 that we traded as part of that deal for Salem and Tyson and it was on traded to Brisbane from GWS for Darcy Gardiner

We beat the Doggies in 2013
We where lucky to fall over the line in that one, that match feels like the Brisbane one this year except with a better finnish

Geez thats right, how the **** did the dogs lose that one
The 'roar' of the crowd after that game was hilarious. It was like half a roar. Everyone let out a half a 'Yee...ok let's get the fk out of here before something happens and we lose'

The 'roar' of the crowd after that game was hilarious. It was like half a roar. Everyone let out a half a 'Yee...ok let's get the fk out of here before something happens and we lose'
I stayed back and high-fived Watts after the game. That was as good as it got in 2013. Ahhh the life and times of a Melbourne supporter

Interesting stats on SEN, we are the worst team in the comp for playing on and Roos averages 62 points for and 84 points against, in comparison Bailey averaged 84 for and 103 against.

Bailey didn't inherit the mess that Roos did, to be fair.

And I'm not surprised we are the worst at playing on. Our list is built for stoppages - we need some running/fast mids, if we want to play a more open style.

Bailey didn't inherit the mess that Roos did, to be fair.

And I'm not surprised we are the worst at playing on. Our list is built for stoppages - we need some running/fast mids, if we want to play a more open style.
To be fair, the Rev did a fairly good Ross Lyon job on us before he got the boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for the "Paul Roos is a fantastic coach and i will never doubt him again" comments, including from myself

Paul Roos is a fantastic coach and i will never doubt him again

Waiting for the "Paul Roos is a fantastic coach and i will never doubt him again" comments, including from myself

Paul Roos is a fantastic coach and i will never doubt him again

We certainly moved the ball alot faster today
He will be remembered as the drought breaker

Under him we have beaten - Collingwood, Carlton, Adelaide and Geelong for the first times or at certain grounds for like 40 years

Have said all along we are on the right track. Anyone who thinks we have not improved a lot over the last 18 months with Roos has a very short term memory

We certainly moved the ball alot faster today
He will be remembered as the drought breaker

Under him we have beaten - Collingwood, Carlton, Adelaide and Geelong for the first times or at certain grounds for like 40 years
Yet still no etihad

Roos is playing the slow burn, can't deny we are better than last year, and even better than before he arrived, next year hopefully he show attacking intent, 4-7-9/10 wins imo

What has been disappointing the last couple of seasons is the early promise that faded away. At the start of last season I was hoping for a minimum of 4 wins & I got my wish but it was still a bummer to lose our last 10 matches. This season I was hoping for a minimum of 6 wins & I have got my wish again. So technically the club has achieved the goals I hoped they would achieve but it will still hurt if we lose the remaining games of the season.
It sucks but we have to remember we were Fitzroy/early 90's Sydney bad under Neeld. There is no doubt we are getting better, it just might take a while.

Seriously, some fans on this forum need to calm down. Calling for coaches to be moved on......what a joke.

I understand that pre- Roos we all went through years of complete hell, but that's not the current coaching staff's fault. Roos took over the basket case of the AFL, and has done a really good job already. He's one of the greats.

People need to let go of the past, and allow development to occur. We're still a young team, we're still learning a game plan, we will be inconsistent and we've still got a lot of improvement left in us. Calm down people. Maintain objectivity.

Last edited:
This is one of my least favourite threads on the board yet it remains my mission to keep it in people's minds -- mainly because I want people to realise it's a dumb thread that only gets bumped when we need a scapegoat.

At quarter time we looked completely cooked, yet for the next two and a half quarters came out and gave it a real crack. Surely a lot of this is due to Roos' coaching? In the first quarter we weren't tackling well, and were flat footed and didn't break lines. We came out and started going up the guts, and backed ourselves and ran it forward in waves. Plus our pressure and tackling was so much better. I'd say we lost the game in the end because we purely don't have the polish or fitness that North have.

Now I know we didn't win the game, but I'd love to see some more opinions from the Anti-Roos Crew on why and how we managed to turn it around in the middle period of the game without his influence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back