Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
* you Roos. I'm sick of your negative coaching, your stupid selections, and you blaming the players for your * ups. Go and enjoy Hawaii now. It's waiting for you. Don't close the door.

* off. Not Roos' fault the on-field leadership was rubbish. Roos has still taken us from the pits Neeld put us in to something resembling football.

We've replaced half the list since Roos has joined us yet I'm always hearing that we still don't have the players to use the footy. Unfortunately at every level of football you train to move it forward. It's farcical how much we stuff up regulation ball movement.

Something isn't right.

I'm not sure what he could have changed today. Too many unforced errors and handballs to players under pressure - i'm sure he's not instructing them to do that. Last 40 seconds were ridiculous, but i'm sure he would have made the instruction to get players behind the ball. It's not his fault a st kilda player was allowed space in the goal square with 20 seconds left.

Confidence is the most important thing in football and it actually optimizes skills.

We have not had any real confidence-in-depth since early 2011 when we pulverized Freo and Adelaide.

The tanking and - worse still - the 186 - are yet to be exorcised.

His gameplan is absolute trash.

7 or 8 long handball chains in ever decreasing circles leading to inevitable turnovers in our defensive half have to be a coached thing because it's not anyone's natural football.

Good at motivating the players but clearly not much chop at actually coaching them. How do you not drill into players to flood back with a minute to go and half a kick up? How do you not have set pieces for a goalkeeper on the line at. Defensive 50 stoppages?

...seriously?

How many coaches have we had the past 9 seasons of slop?

Do you really think our poor desicion making and disposal is all our many coaches fault the last decade.

Our players aren't very good. Some are getting better.

I feel that after the bye, Roos should gradually start handing the reins over. Give Goodwin more and more responsibility over the next year and a half so he's ready to step straight in when Roos steps aside at the end.

Roos has got us up from the slop we delivered under Neeld. But I wonder if the players are playing for him, or are they thinking it doesn't matter what he says because he'll be gone after next year.

I'll preface this by saying I only watched the second half. Everyone seemed to be raging in the game day thread in the first, but I didn't see it.

So, having not seen the first half, I was actually really happy with the boys effort and the way we played tonight. Thought it was a cracking 2nd half. Bloody gutted about the last goal - whose man was monagna?

Anyway, I think the criticism of Roos is ridiculous. We've improved massively this year and have a lot left in us.

We're going in the right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our biggest problem is not the coach but very poor on field leadership, decision making and match awareness.
Experienced players/leadership group should be taking control of situations like the last 40 seconds and telling players to flood back instead of dry rooting each other.
Roos hasn't had the greatest fortnight in the box but this one is directly at the feet of the on field leadership group.
We still have a way to go just to become adequate, let alone good enough to contend in September.
Just another kick in the balls by a club who has turned kicking supporters in the balls into an art form.

Roos definitely deserves criticism. I hope games like this force him to reevaluate the list and the game plan. I have faith he is smart enough and not too proud to do that.

But *, I know this thread is mostly a reaction to a difficult loss, and I'm not trying to sugarcoat stuff. We've got to stay the course. Part of the reason we're in the position we are is because of years (decades) of mismanagement. Lose a tight game and sack one of the few people in our organisation that has been to the highest level? * me dead.

As I say, I'm not implying that Roos is above criticism. But maybe for once as a club we can begin to use games like tonight as a way to galvanise us instead of blow us apart.

We may have lost the game with 41 seconds left to go under Roos, but without the work of Roos we wouldn't be in a position to win in the first place

One thing I was happy with when I woke up - the presser. Roos has sometimes in the past sounded a bit distant from the club, like a man who has already made a reputation who is getting some big bucks to dabble for a few more years. He sounded really burned up with disappointment this time, and totally involved. Good.

Do we seriously have a sack the coach movement here? Crazy

Obviously "sack the coach" is a complete overreaction.

However, the most bitterly disappointing thing for me is the pathetic skill errors, dumb mistakes and easy goals we cough up. How many times do we handball half a metre to a stationary (read spectating) target? How many times when we have a player about to kick the ball do we have no-one leading/demanding the football? Instead we have a bunch of crabs who meekly shuffle sideways into space.

These symptoms do pre-date PR but I was hoping he would have the footy nous to eradicate these basic ills.

Win, lose or draw - I want us to be team that is well drilled, hard to score against and awake. I would've been wrapt if I were a Saints fan yesterday.

Not buying into the old MFC "sack everybody" mentality but can we not compare what has been achieved in the last couple of years to 2013? It does not take a premiership coach to turn that sack of potatoes into a semi-competitive outfit.

I think we're all just frustrated that it's taking so long to turn this around while other teams, that were supposed to replace us as the basket-case-of-the-year, see Port, Bulldogs and now Saints apparently, have already bottomed out and gone past us on the way back up. That said, you've really got to understand that we are coming from a long way further back than anybody else. Bailey and Neeld (and Cam Schwab) really did a number on this club.

I think we're all just frustrated that it's taking so long to turn this around while other teams, that were supposed to replace us as the basket-case-of-the-year, see Port, Bulldogs and now Saints apparently, have already bottomed out and gone past us on the way back up. That said, you've really got to understand that we are coming from a long way further back than anybody else. Bailey and Neeld (and Cam Schwab) really did a number on this club.

Unfair lumping Bailey in there, still think we made the wrong call on him.

Unfair lumping Bailey in there, still think we made the wrong call on him.

Nah, I reckon the Neeld years have just given us a badly skewed view of the Bailey years. Bailey made us into soft-as-butter, downhill-skiing, precious mummy's boys. Then Mark Neeld came along and ground all passion for the game, instinct, talent and confidence out of them.

I'm getting a bit nervous about Roos too, and I don't like that he's apparently so quick to blame the past, but the reality is that he's had a lot of work to do. We've got to remember that we've actually played the last 3 out of 4 games, 12 out of 16 quarters, with good intensity and, mostly, quite a bit of skill. The only things stopping us from having won 3 out of 4 are some (ok, quite a few) timely errors and Cloke kicking 7 straight. We'd all have taken that two years ago.

Roos has down the best job he could, he's slowly improved our list and depth but we were a long way off under Neeld.

I can't see any decisions Roos has made that haven't improved our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back