Colin Sylvia - What is going on???

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the likelihood of Sylvia being a successful acquisition versus drafting another rookie, after those we already have, is significantly in favour of Sylvia. That is the equation we are talking about.
But we aren't talking rookies here, its another national draft selection that would've had the opportunity straight away if they were good enough

That is all good in theory, but if you were Colin would you accept 150k less than you were going to get guaranteed? Im not being smart, generally interested about these paid out contracts (ala Jack Anthony).

If we cut players before their contracts are up, its probably doubtful they're going to get picked up again - from the players point of view they would surely just stick it out? I can only assume that Jack Anthony got paid out his full contract otherwise why else why he leave?

Yes and it has to be a mutual agreement. Sheriff believes Jack Anthony got a payout on a reduced amount.

If Colin plays another season for Peel he may be willing to do this.

That is all good in theory, but if you were Colin would you accept 150k less than you were going to get guaranteed? Im not being smart, generally interested about these paid out contracts (ala Jack Anthony).

If we cut players before their contracts are up, its probably doubtful they're going to get picked up again - from the players point of view they would surely just stick it out? I can only assume that Jack Anthony got paid out his full contract otherwise why else why he leave?

I guess an AFL preaseason is no picnic, even when you half-arse it.

Some players may just prefer to cut their losses and take a payout rather than put themselves through that torture again with no chance of playing.

Yes and it has to be a mutual agreement. Sheriff believes Jack Anthony got a payout on a reduced amount.

If Colin plays another season for Peel he may be willing to do this.

Exactly, fremantle can make it very difficult for Colin, starting with making train down at mandura two three times a week. Contracts represent both sides, normally the side with most clout wins out. Anyway balls probably in his court depends how much he wants it.

Good training fodder for the young mids and small defenders and someone to make sure the gym gear and mirrors still work. Don't expect much else from ol' Col.

I guess an AFL preaseason is no picnic, even when you half-arse it.

Some players may just prefer to cut their losses and take a payout rather than put themselves through that torture again with no chance of playing.

I dunno, 150k is a lot of money, nothing to be sneezed at. Worth a pre season i would say, even if you're putting in a half assed effort.

I guess my point is, if your going to get paid out surely you would take everything that it within your contractual power?

But we aren't talking rookies here, its another national draft selection that would've had the opportunity straight away if they were good enough
I guess I pretty much rate the last player selected in a draft, which for us would have have been round 5 last year, as being of similar value to our 1st rookie pick. More or less. There were 7 players taken in the 2014 national draft after Deluca, and 11 in the rookie before Hughes, so that is pretty much the pool of options. History doesn't reflect well on the players taken here. I know we are all thinking Deluca and Hughes are going to be decent for us, but the odds are not kind.

Depends on what he's got lined up after footy doesn't it, maybe he can get into that and he'll be on good money doing what he wants, so may well forgo eg $100k from us to get $200k elsewhere.

Depends on what he's got lined up after footy doesn't it, maybe he can get into that and he'll be on good money doing what he wants, so may well forgo eg $100k from us to get $200k elsewhere.
It also depends on what portion of his contract is performance based. 200k + 7.5K per AFL game isn't too far from 350k per year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the players on our list, Colin is the player that I least hope to be standing on the winners podium with Pav and crew at the GF this year.
Disagree. Just to watch Pav win a premiership at freo would be enough for me. Wouldn't care if his teammates included Sylvia, Jack Anthony and Josh Bootsma, just would love to see it.

The choice to take a cheap payout would have a Perth factor to the decision too. I.e. we'll pay you less than your contract to leave the club, and you're also free to not live in Perth anymore
You can't tell someone where they live when there's no contract, so how is that possible at all?

You can't tell someone where they live when there's no contract, so how is that possible at all?
I meant as in, he's not from Perth, and I doubt he'd want to stick around after his career with Freo is over. Not that we're forcing him to leave the city

Disagree. Just to watch Pav win a premiership at freo would be enough for me. Wouldn't care if his teammates included Sylvia, Jack Anthony and Josh Bootsma, just would love to see it.
What are you disagreeing with? I think you misunderstood my post. We all want the same for Pav, even many non Dockers fans. I'm just saying that, of all the players in our list, Colin is the last guy I'd have on the podium with him. Anyway, this is a thread about Colin rather than the big man.

What are you disagreeing with? I think you misunderstood my post. We all want the same for Pav, even many non Dockers fans. I'm just saying that, of all the players in our list, Colin is the last guy I'd have on the podium with him. Anyway, this is a thread about Colin rather than the big man.
Disagreeing with the notion that you wouldn't wanna see Sylvia with a premiership medallion next to Pav. I basically said I wouldn't care who gets one with him, as long as he gets one.

It has not worked out for us, but at the time I thought it was worth the risk. They knew the challenges and unfortunately he has not worked hard enough and had discipline incidents which does not help when you are on the fringe.

There is a massive upside to a fit and inform Sylvia, so hopefully we get to see it this year. If not, then I do not see the problem as has been pointed out, it would have sucked if we used draft picks or traded.

Disagreeing with the notion that you wouldn't wanna see Sylvia with a premiership medallion next to Pav. I basically said I wouldn't care who gets one with him, as long as he gets one.
Again you misunderstood me. I never said that I wouldn't want to see Colin with a premiership medallion next to Pav. If you read what I posted, I said that he, of all our list, is the last person or my least favourite to be there with Pav. If you really want to disagree with me, then tell me which player out of our current list that you would least like to see on the podium with Pav?
Paramount to me, like you, is that Pav gets the big one, but as I said earlier, this is a thread about Colin.

Again you misunderstood me. I never said that I wouldn't want to see Colin with a premiership medallion next to Pav. If you read what I posted, I said that he, of all our list, is the last person or my least favourite to be there with Pav. If you really want to disagree with me, then tell me which player out of our current list that you would least like to see on the podium with Pav?
Paramount to me, like you, is that Pav gets the big one, but as I said earlier, this is a thread about Colin.
My mistake. I agree with you!

And I will not allow that to become an acceptable thing at Freo.

Good that you have a mission in your life.

Sad that you are focused on something where you think your personal opinion as to what you will supposedly (in all your magnificence and grand power) "allow" actually matters.

You will have utterly zero impact on what the Freo list managers, coaches and administrators actually do.

Keep on tilting at windmills, while staring at yourself in the mirror and pretending that you control (or even are capable of the slightest influence on the speed, direction or consistency of) the wind...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back