Could some teams do with a bit of re-branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

How about No...
Now that we have GWS the Western Bulldogs should revert to Footscray.

If club memberships is the benchmark, the name change to WB has not been a success

Now that we have GWS the Western Bulldogs should revert to Footscray.

If club memberships is the benchmark, the name change to WB has not been a success

It's a hard exercise to assess properly. I'd agree our membership growth in recent years is stagnant, but that may not be the case in 12 months time - depending on how the kids develop and the style of football we play. We have always had a smaller support base, but poor on-field form, non-existent prime-time TV exposure and a few other factors haven't helped grow that.

If we'd managed to grab a flag or even a few GF appearances from our most recent 7 PF losses, it might be different.

I'm not 100% sure on what the growth has been (year on year) since the change from Footscray.

The shift to a club representing the Western suburbs isn't a bad move, but that market is not traditionally all AFL supporters, and the success of the A-League and the Australian National side has given the roundball code a big push forward into this part of Melbourne.

I think the club has done a lot of good in trying to embrace the broader region and while it may not yet have paid off in terms of instant additional members, it may have to be continued over a much longer timeframe to truly reap the benefits. Given the western suburbs are the fastest growing region of the fastest growing capital city in the country, it's not a market I'd be deliberately moving away from....

I do agree that there is an element of confusion for outsiders, with the Western Bulldogs, West Coast Eagles and the GWS - but you can direct you blame at AFL house for the last *up....

Not sure changing brown to maroon is re branding, and why woul hawthorn re brand ?

One of the strongest brands going atm, HAWthorn, HAWks, with colours which match the colours of a hawk

HAWthorn, HAWks

HAWs for everybody!

The only rebranding really needed is a progressive rollout of a mallet to the head of every commentator who continues to say "the GWS" or "the West Coast". It's either "GWS" or "the [GWS] Giants". Ditto "West Coast" or "the [West Coast] Eagles".

Apparently around the merger time there was talk of the Hawks making black their main colour with brown and gold trim.

HAWs for everybody!

The only rebranding really needed is a progressive rollout of a mallet to the head of every commentator who continues to say "the GWS" or "the West Coast". It's either "GWS" or "the [GWS] Giants". Ditto "West Coast" or "the [West Coast] Eagles".

Mostly true, although WC is a bit of an exception to that being a description of a location rather than a location in itself. "The Perth" makes no sense, but "The west coast" would be grammatically correct. ( Gold Coast is also an exception, although in that case it's both a place and a description).

North Melbourne Boners

75e2cfcad349009cda18ed40c319262b40b57693c7a5a022aa502c94cf0a00b0_1.gif

I'd like to see the Bulldogs become Footscray again. When North Melbourne backpedalled from their terrible location-less 'Kangaroos' brand they became much more appealing, at least to me. Saying 'Western Bulldogs' is such a pain in the arse. At least GWS abbreviates easily.

Mostly true, although WC is a bit of an exception to that being a description of a location rather than a location in itself. "The Perth" makes no sense, but "The west coast" would be grammatically correct. ( Gold Coast is also an exception, although in that case it's both a place and a description).

Yes, grammatically correct as a descriptor, but in the context of West Coast being used as a proper noun it ends up rather awkward.

You're not Ukrainian by any chance.........? ;)

Well I do like Eurovision...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the title suggests, I think some teams could change their image/name/mascot/brand etc.

Western Bulldogs need it the most. They have done so in the past, changing from Footscray to "Western". The problem with this is... where the hell is Western? ... oh you mean the west suburbs of Melbourne? They want to represent all the western suburbs (hence the prior name change), so why not: West Melbourne? To a lesser extent, change "bulldogs" to just "dogs". That way they broaden their appeal imo, instead of having a fuking bulldog which has stuff-all appeal for christ's sake. West Melbourne Dogs.

This is just for fun:

Country Vic Kangaroos
West Melbourne Dogs
Hawthorn to change brown/yellow to maroon/yellow (which is the way they've gone anyway, might as well change to a true maroon).
Port, drop the teal and just give us light blue.
Eagles, instead of yellow, white and dark blue, just use medium yellow and medium blue. :rolleyes:

Light blue you say... like this?

tarp.jpg

Apparently around the merger time there was talk of the Hawks making black their main colour with brown and gold trim.

Looking at your jumpers today, they are closer to black than brown.

I never understood why Port chose the nickname "Power" over the "Sharks"

I've never understood why people wanted an SA side called the Sharks. It's not like the animal has any real presence on metro SA coastlines, or any real significance to anyone here apart from Rodney Fox.

Have also thought Port should change teal to light blue

Or Western Sydney change to navy blue and NSW blue

eagles when they inevitably win a flag the cup is decorated with the royal blue and gold ribbons .. Make that known as our colours not the white navy and gold (which is good for polo shirts and whatnot)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back