Resource 2015 NMFC Home Crowds Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the continued assumption that pressure on the AFL from our president and the presidents of other tenant clubs will persuade them to fork out $280,000,000 for an asset they can purchase in 10 yeas for $30.

I also love the assumption that this pressure could also convince the stadium management to renegotiate a contract that continues to make them money to one which will make them less money.

Talk about detached from reality.

I thought the AFL a few years ago said they were looking at all options including early buy out. That said id agree its highly unlikely if the $280m V $30 in 10 years is correct. Only 10 years to hang in there, hopefully then Dockland clubs can make Geelong like income.

Is showing us how many members are actually in attendance really needed? I have to wonder why the club did it. Was it to embarrass those who weren't there? They weren't going to see it anyway, or know about it unless it was mentioned on TV and Radio. If it was mentioned on TV and Radio then we would be back to the look at poor old North, cant get their members to turn up. I for one would be happy enough not to know. And to think there is 10 pages of discussion on it shows me that it just makes us angry. I would like to know though why those that were there that weren't members aren't? Surely the club would be better finding this out and trying to turn them into members, rather than embarrassing those who already are and weren't able to go for whatever reason, although just cant be bothered doesn't wash too well with me.

I think Essendon have done it at the Dome for years. No idea why all of a sudden we're doing it.

Maybe we upgraded our version of Tapatalk?

Goldy had four "members" in attendance himself a week earlier, and only two this week. Disappointing all round.
tumblr_likmsbsY0M1qgt3ngo1_500%202.gif

Final point, worrying about this stuff too much will do your head in. Yes it sucks, yes we want more, but the shaming and getting upset about it won't make the football more appealing.

True enough.

And, yeah, the shaming that often goes hand-in-hand with these threads can be pretty cringe-worthy. The product of hastily-drawn assumptions and sweeping generalisations that are just altogether far too simplistic for my liking. And as kangafruity touched on earlier, rather than providing a catalyst for change, it simply stands to further promote and reinforce the negative, "poor us, we have no supporters" stereotype.

Obviously, there are myriad reasons why someone might not make it to a game, and who the **** am I or anyone else to judge whether those reasons cut the mustard? And why should any paid-up member have to explain themselves anyway? Questioning a person’s commitment to the club because they, on occasion, happen to choose life over football? That's ridiculous. I'm fanatical about North, but JHC. Some folks need to lighten up a little.

In my case, I sometimes have to miss games due to a clash with my son’s sporting commitments. That’s because my obligation to my family trumps any obligation I may have to my North family, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Anyone wishing to question my commitment to the club I love, be my guest. For my part, I promise not to give a s**t.

Also, forgive the cynicism, but just as a general comment....

.... it’s pretty easy for someone to climb aboard their lofty steed and throw out the “I woulda if I coulda” calls when there’s no conceivable chance that those words can be put to the test anytime soon. Just sayin'.

I love the continued assumption that pressure on the AFL from our president and the presidents of other tenant clubs will persuade them to fork out $280,000,000 for an asset they can purchase in 10 yeas for $30.

I also love the assumption that this pressure could also convince the stadium management to renegotiate a contract that continues to make them money to one which will make them less money.

Talk about detached from reality.

Yeah, I agree (and I believe the figure is actually $1, which is the typical amount in order to satisfy the consideration requirements of a contract).

Having said that, I wonder how much money the AFL could, theoretically, make if they did buy Etihad now, assuming they swallow all the pre-existing contracts (Delaware North, Etihad etc) which I am not privy to.

Coupled with the fact that the AFL wouldn't have to cut a cheque to clubs like us for screwing us over in the fixture/having a bad stadium deal, I'm interested to see how much the net cost is, bearing in mind the AFL would then assume all the associated upkeep costs.

Whilst i admit the look on telly wasn't as good as it could have been for the port game and i wasnt impressed with the north members number.
I for one wont give a backhand slap to all those who chose not to come for whatever reasons they deem fit. For as long as i can remember weve been asking north supporters to get on board and become members of our great club. "AND SO THEY HAVE." We've reached 40k which in itself is an amazing thing but yet has been quickly discounted to just a number and as such typical humans we want more than what we have. A lot on memberships are sold as 3 game entries and as such not everyone of our local members would come to the same 3 games. I would like to see 30k at all our games but as long as we have 40k plus members the north melbourne footy club will never die. The afl would never want to throw away 40k plus people from the afl community.
The suns and giants wont see 40k for the next 25 years. I like many will continue to encourage all north followers to buy membership and when possible get to the game and be part of the family spirit that is The North Melbourne Football Club.

Is showing us how many members are actually in attendance really needed? I have to wonder why the club did it. Was it to embarrass those who weren't there? They weren't going to see it anyway, or know about it unless it was mentioned on TV and Radio. If it was mentioned on TV and Radio then we would be back to the look at poor old North, cant get their members to turn up. I for one would be happy enough not to know. And to think there is 10 pages of discussion on it shows me that it just makes us angry. I would like to know though why those that were there that weren't members aren't? Surely the club would be better finding this out and trying to turn them into members, rather than embarrassing those who already are and weren't able to go for whatever reason, although just cant be bothered doesn't wash too well with me.

Glass half empty = 8k members showed up
Glass half full = 14k potential members

It will be a surprise to people on this board, but football just isn't a high priority in life to the average person. According to the last estimate we have somewhere approx 250k supporters, the vast majority wouldn't go to any games, a significant chunk probably do not even watch games on TV, a lot of generational supporters are supporters in name only.

Then you have some that go to the odd game, others who watch on TV. When you think about it, Collingwood has over a million supporters, they would have got 30k odd despite having 4x our supporter base. I think in terms of getting supporters to games or converting supporters into members we fair better than most clubs.

Our challenge is to increase the size of the supporter pool, it will be very costly to try and extract an even greater proportion of supporters to attendees or supporters to members.

If they are going to put any information of relevance up then they should put up how many 11 game Melbourne members we have, those interstate members, regional members or those with 3 game memberships I don't think you can blame for not showing up.

Hey Thewlis, I can't see what you're referring to there, but I can have a fair guess based on your comment, and the little sentence above the number 11 here.
Highly recommended frustration buster.
image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... it’s pretty easy for someone to climb aboard their lofty steed and throw out the “I woulda if I coulda” calls when there’s no conceivable chance that those words can be put to the test anytime soon. Just sayin'.

I always argued that only members who attended every home game should get access to Grand Final tickets ..... then I moved interstate ... so now I don't argue that point so much ...

Come on, lighten up. He's only saying what everyone else is thinking. That TAS is the Dermott Brereton of Big Footy.

I actually have a Twitter account and can cope fine with a 140 character limit. But, Twitter is a place for one-liners. Forums are for more in-depth discussions and blogs are for the essays.

I am fine if people don't want to read what I post, just block me. I don't see the point of de-railing topics with talking about it. I am not going to change for anyone. If you don't have the mental capacity or desire to wade through my posts, then I am fine with that.

I only care to communicate between people who want to do so with me. I am quite happy if most of the people here block me.

Everyone has their reasons for attending or not attending (home) games and they should be respected, however like it or not our choices do have consequences.

Whether it be cold / wet weather, a comfy couch, big screen TV, good company at home in the burbs, decent beer at $2 a pop or a just a lack of energy.... when we as a collective choose not to go it does make it harder for our club to thrive. If each member made another 2 or 3 big efforts a season to attend a home game where they may not have previously, for whatever reason, we'd see a big spike in attendance. The benefits of that would be significant.

FWIW I do have a big arse TV, a very comfy couch, a fridge full of quality beer at $2 a pop, great drinking buddies and I live in the outer East. I also have 3 daughters under 10, so skipping night games would be a far easier choice believe me (they're asleep within 2 minutes of driving home and we're never home before 11pm), but we all go nonetheless. Playing at Docklands helps - not sure I'd go to a game at the G when it's 9c and driving rain.

As members our money goes to the club either way but I force myself to make the effort to attend because A: I bloody love it and B: I know it helps.

Good post, CB.

Of course there are consequences and I reckon most people on this forum are across that concept, and therefore share a similar mindset to yourself when it comes to attending games. That's why I find these threads a little needless. Seem to be preaching to the converted, so to speak, and lambasting those that are largely undeserving of that kind of finger-pointing.

Good post, CB.

Of course there are consequences and I reckon most people on this forum are across that concept, and therefore share a similar mindset to yourself when it comes to attending games. That's why I find these threads a little needless. Seem to be preaching to the converted, so to speak, and lambasting those that are largely undeserving of that kind of finger-pointing.

If we can't point fingers how do we shun the non believers?

FWIW I do have a big arse TV, a very comfy couch, a fridge full of quality beer at $2 a pop, great drinking buddies and I live in the outer East. I also have 3 daughters under 10, so skipping night games would be a far easier choice believe me (they're asleep within 2 minutes of driving home and we're never home before 11pm), but we all go nonetheless. Playing at Docklands helps - not sure I'd go to a game at the G when it's 9c and driving rain.

Okay, getting the picture... :D

family-guy-peter-griffin8.jpg
latest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back