List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes without saying that if Dangerfield is offered more money than Selwood etc that it would only be if the leadership group was consulted and signed off on it. Iif you look at Selwood and other leaders comments on Frawley and take them on face value clearly the PLG was happy with the $ he was offered and endorsed it.

I don't think people understand that if Danger is offered more than Selwood is on it isnt because we think he's worth more than Selwood, it's entirely a tactical ploy to ensure Adelaide dont match it and we dont have to trade massive assets for him (this is how free agency works).

If you look at e.g. offering Dangerfield 700k x 4, which Adelaide would surely match, in which case you then have to trade a first round pick and a good player at a minimum, and even that may not be enough to get a trade done. To put that in context you are looking at trading value of Cockatoo (obviously we would not trade him but that shows what a first round pick is worth in terms of value to us) plus potentially another ten player. Whereas if we offer 1mil X 4 Adelaide don't match it and we don't have to trade anything. For a difference of 300k, which is realistically the salary of your average depth player ranked 25-35 on your list, I know which looks like the better proposition to me.

Spot on. My example of 2 years at 2.5 million was exactly based on your explained premise.

Then once here, he falls, at least SC wise, back into the pack with say 4 x 500k per year.

Go Catters

Enormous amount of speculation in your post Turbo. Not a criticism cos none of us know the true state of affairs.

I don't share the view of those who appear to think Danger coming here will be the equivalent to the second coming. If he comes on our terms which means not disrupting our fee structure then great. But if he gets more than Joel as some here appear happy to see him get then absolutely no. That would be almost sufficient for me to dice my membership and I wouldn't blame Joel for saying I' m outta here at the first opportunity.

Danger comes on our terms or he can whistle dixie.

He's apparently on the same as Joel if not more at Crows, so any offer put to him will be more then Joel's salary. It's how FA works.

Certainly can.

Just don't remember the next guy!

Ben Finnan was an All-Australian Junior who was just too skinny, and was never able to build up his body to AFL standards, he made Andrew Mackie look like Adonis. The pity of it was that he gave away his cricket for football, and at the age of 17 he was already a good enough left-arm quick to be able to play Premier Cricket; and he possibly could have made it even higher.

I don't think people understand that if Danger is offered more than Selwood is on it isnt because we think he's worth more than Selwood, it's entirely a tactical ploy to ensure Adelaide dont match it and we dont have to trade massive assets for him (this is how free agency works).

Pure make believe. Authored by someone whose impure conclusions are highly likely to be derived from couch viewing and popular journalism. As is so often the case with him.

The GFC does not operate that way. Nor has it ever in my experience.

Pure make believe!

He's apparently on the same as Joel if not more at Crows, so any offer put to him will be more then Joel's salary. It's how FA works.
Have no idea of what he's on now. Just do not want to see players of more value - Joel and Hawk for example - who have a record of achievement dudded. With all the possible team morale ramifications that may have. Not to mention players like Bartel who have knocked back big bucks to remain loyal.

Anyway, it's academic because the skipper has said we won't be disrupting the pay scale by paying overs. The CEO too I think.

Have no idea of what he's on now. Just do not want to see players of more value - Joel and Hawk for example - who have a record of achievement dudded. With all the possible team morale ramifications that may have. Not to mention players like Bartel who have knocked back big bucks to remain loyal.

Anyway, it's academic because the skipper has said we won't be disrupting the pay scale by paying overs. The CEO too I think.

Depends on what "Overs" mean to you and the club. Back in 2007-2011 no player would be on what we're offering Hawkins now (rumoured 800k), Or even Harry Taylor (rumoured 750K). Both are on more then Selwood. (Rumored 650K) We apparently also offered GAJ close to a mill as well to stay.

I don't think anyone would expect a Franklin type deal, but 800-900K minimum seems about right.

Ben Finnan was an All-Australian Junior who was just too skinny, and was never able to build up his body to AFL standards, he made Andrew Mackie look like Adonis. The pity of it was that he gave away his cricket for football, and at the age of 17 he was already a good enough left-arm quick to be able to play Premier Cricket; and he possibly could have made it even higher.

Better memory than me actually. On paper these days it probably doesn't look too bad but it was SC decision back then.

Don't be so gullible mate. It was PR talk. Open your eyes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pure make believe. Authored by someone whose impure conclusions are highly likely to be derived from couch viewing and popular journalism. As is so often the case with him.

Pure make believe!

Not sure why you've gone so hard at the poster, but I am sure that the majority here will disagree with your tone.

PO is one of the most respected members here, and is considered to be one of our most knowlegeable posters.

Not sure why you've gone so hard at the poster, but I am sure that the majority here will disagree with your tone.

PO is one of the most respected members here, and is considered to be one of our most knowlegeable posters.

Not to mention that the Pure_Ownage post in question was absolutely spot-on in any case.:rolleyes:

It goes without saying that if Dangerfield is offered more money than Selwood etc that it would only be if the leadership group was consulted and signed off on it. Iif you look at Selwood and other leaders comments on Frawley and take them on face value clearly the PLG was happy with the $ he was offered and endorsed it.

If you look at e.g. offering Dangerfield 700k x 4, which Adelaide would surely match, in which case you then have to trade a first round pick and a good player at a minimum, and even that may not be enough to get a trade done. To put that in context you are looking at trading value of Cockatoo (obviously we would not trade him but that shows what a first round pick is worth in terms of value to us) plus potentially another ten player. Whereas if we offer 1mil X 4 Adelaide don't match it and we don't have to trade anything. For a difference of 300k, which is realistically the salary of your average depth player ranked 25-35 on your list, I know which looks like the better proposition to me.

Pure make believe!

GH.... I think I sort of know what your saying. You think Geelongs tiers payments would prevent what Pure is talking about?

Im not sure what you are counting in your experience , or how far back you go...but to say the club has never done anything is probably tenuous for us all. Go back far enough and most clubs have done most things.

But from Cooks era we have gained the reputation for our multi levelled system of payment , that it allowed us to keep most of our big names. In that era I can only think of Ottens who came in at a cost that would have been potentially disruptive. Perhaps Hmac.

But the the term "Geelong doesn't operate that way" ...Not so long ago our mantra was to pick them and grow them..takes time but trust our system etc. But the introduction of RFA has changed the purity of that approach. If a player is UFA , then not so much unless , like Frawley , he has multiple suitors , but with RFA the payment criteria to activate the FA has to bring a new methodology. To get some players you may have to put a price out there , and balance it with later contracts.

Hutchy just said on Footy Classified that Danger will be at Geelong next year and to take it to the bank

So there goes that idea then :D

Hutchy just said on Footy Classified that Danger will be at Geelong next year and to take it to the bank

So there goes that idea then :D

Saw that...but guys like him annoy me. He would know less about the mechanics of FA bidding and matching etc than half the posters on this board. Might be worth to see what our friends over at Crow-Call-ville think of his call.

Saw that...but guys like him annoy me. He would know less about the mechanics of FA bidding and matching etc than half the posters on this board. Might be worth to see what our friends over at Crow-Call-ville think of his call.
He has shown form with this before, he was the first and only to go with Buddy to the Swans not the Giants remember.

I still don't know his source or info here, I am thinking its just his feeling

Pure make believe!
How else do you think that Restricted Free Agent Dangerfield will be pried out of Adelaide without a deal that Adelaide can't match that is likely to see Dangerfield paid more than our current players?

Who does he do Radio with again?
umm he is on SEN. Hosts the very good 'Off the Bench' with Pickers and Doc Turf on a weekend. I don't know what else he does to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back