Game Day DAY 1 LIVE - 2018 NAB AFL Draft - Round 1, Thursday 22/11 12PM AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To a certain extent sure. But they all **** all over the Gold Coast, that place looks like a horrendous place to be.

People are acting like the Gold Coast is Siberia and the Suns are a gulag. It's not that bad a fate to be paid good money to live in a sunny place with good beaches. They'll eventually get better on field.

Am i missing something with carlton's list and where this rapid improvement is going to come from ? Cripps,Docherty and curnow are currently there only star players. Dow,sps, fisher , McKay, O'Brien look like good prospects but are still 2 years away from consistent footy and walsh and stocker will likely tire by half way through the season.

Other then that marchbank and McGovern are ok footballers and setterfield is a complete unknown . Have not included weitering because he is way to slow for the modern game and has zero confidence left . Would be very surprised If that isn't a top 5 pick they have handed adelaide , not only does that give them a chance to draft someone of higher value then stocker but also becomes valuable on the trade table.

Am i missing something with carlton's list and where this rapid improvement is going to come from ? Cripps,Docherty and curnow are currently there only star players. Dow,sps, fisher , McKay, O'Brien look like good prospects but are still 2 years away from consistent footy and walsh and stocker will likely tire by half way through the season.

Other then that marchbank and McGovern are ok footballers and setterfield is a complete unknown . Have not included weitering because he is way to slow for the modern game and has zero confidence left . Would be very surprised If that isn't a top 5 pick they have handed adelaide , not only does that give them a chance to draft someone of higher value then stocker but also becomes valuable on the trade table.

They're all young we got games in to them but we can not afford an injury list like this. Our defence and rucks were wiped out.

Charlie Curnow Knee Start of pre-season
Kym Lebois Hamstring Start of pre-season
Jarrod Garlett Shoulder Start of pre-season
Matthew Kreuzer Heart Start of pre-season
Matthew Kennedy Ankle Start of pre-season
David Cuningham Hamstring Start of pre-season
Zac Fisher Leg Start of pre-season
Liam Jones Knee Start of pre-season
Andrew Phillips Hamstring Start of pre-season
Tom Williamson Back Start of pre-season
Sam Docherty Knee Start of pre-season
Lachie Plowman Knee Start of pre-season

B: Plowman Jones Weitering
HB: Docherty Marchbank Simpson
C: Walsh Cripps Fisher
HF: Thomas Curnow Murphy
F: Fasolo McKay McGovern
R: Kreuzer Setterfield Dow

Judging by the comments above we have no forward line at all. Sauce Jacobs is cooked and a team can’t win games with an average ruckman (Vardy, Lycett)

Yes we could go down but if we can get Brad Crouch, Sloane and Brodie Smith back for the full year then that will help out a lot
Sauce has put in some stinkers in 2018 (to the point I'd rate both Vardy and Lycett higher - remember this pair successfully double-teamed Gawn). That's how cooked he looks.

What if Carlton are looking to trade 2 first round picks for a gun next year? Where the picks are then becomes irrelevant.

We're through going to the draft now. We're brimming with young early draft picks.
So you're already assuming Carlton will get a priority pick next year?

I don't think you grasp how monumentally dumb it is to assume Carlton finish 17/18 (While also assuming Adelaides position) - Eagles were meant to bee spooners this year.
Come on, it was Robert Walls who tipped the Eagles for the spoon! I'm just being realistic - odds are this will turn out be a monumentally stupid move from Carlton

If someone read this thread without knowing what actually happened in the draft all they would get is that most believe the Crows screwed the Blues

It is a clear sign from the club that we do not want to hit the draft anymore (2019/2020).

It may backfire, or it may be a win/win, that's yet to unfold.

It certainly puts pressure on the coaching staff and players to do better on the park.

Interesting move that has the footy world discussing its merits.

I also expect Adelaide to bounce but I also expect Carlton to spike as well and thats what this trade is all about.

I rate Carlton's young players but how good are they going too be this year? Brisbane did brilliantly from a similar position and Carlton would be doing well to match that. Yet they still finished 4th from bottom and you'd be giving up a top 5 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sauce has put in some stinkers in 2018 (to the point I'd rate both Vardy and Lycett higher - remember this pair successfully double-teamed Gawn). That's how cooked he looks.

We do have a back up ruckman that just finished 3rd in our 2km time trial. This might be his year to push past Jacobs

I rate Carlton's young players but how good are they going too be this year? Brisbane did brilliantly from a similar position and Carlton would be doing well to match that. Yet they still finished 4th from bottom and you'd be giving up a top 5 pick.

But we didnt give up a top five pick. We swapped 2019 first round picks and got Stocker which the club rated highly (These are facts). The team could spike but maybe not. By round five we would know. Too early to tell whats going to happen.

Lions, from memory, lost a heap of close games.

Trade will likely will be 2019 top 4 pick for Stocker and 11-13 (2019).

Depends on 2019 draft strength, how well Stocker plays and where Blues/Crows finish.

Fun little plotline to follow next season.

It is a clear sign from the club that we do not want to hit the draft anymore (2019/2020).

It may backfire, or it may be a win/win, that's yet to unfold.

It certainly puts pressure on the coaching staff and players to do better on the park.

Interesting move that has the footy world discussing its merits.
It looked to me like a football department who know they've had significant investment in their rebuild and need to start showing results, it doesn't matter what the pick is next season if they are shown the door before it's used.

I'm not suggesting Carlton are taking a risky shortcut, just that they are bringing forward value to try and get up the ladder quicker.

So are all 18 teams if 1 or 2 A GRADERS have a long term injury
Joe Daniher for Bombers?, Missed the top 8

Don't think Daniher was why we missed the finals. Simply not good enough for a big part of the season.

I'm not arguing that other sides don't get worse without their stars. It's just Carlton supporters in this thread seem to believe them improving significantly next season is fait accompli.

Carlton have delisted plenty of experienced guys who playded plenty of footy in 2018 and replaced them with kids outside of Mcgovern(inconsistent), Newman and Fasolo (inconsistent and average).

I think you'll be fine. The next step is for your playing group to get some continuity and belief, then it could come together quickly.

Kelly might decide to leave, but I think it's more likely he wont. If he does he'll be traded for a couple of top 10 picks though.

Blues will not chase Kelly.
Gut feel is that he stays, which would be good for competition. I hope you keep him and Coniglio.

We have had no continuety. Our fitness/medical regime has been bad. Our game plan was bad. Our players did not train well enough or hard enough. There were multiple in house reports that noted all that at seasons end.

Andrew Russell coming over from the Hawks is likely the most important new addition for us.

Heat is on us to be much better on the park. Still bottom 4, but hopefully less stink.

It looked to me like a football department who know they've had significant investment in their rebuild and need to start showing results, it doesn't matter what the pick is next season if they are shown the door before it's used.

I'm not suggesting Carlton are taking a risky shortcut, just that they are bringing forward value to try and get up the ladder quicker.

Its the line in the sand moment the club had to take at some point. SOS basically put the onus on the on-field group to get cracking and improve.

Its the line in the sand moment the club had to take at some point. SOS basically put the onus on the on-field group to get cracking and improve.

Not just SOS, the whole club.

Our draft phase is over.

Using the "we are young" or "green shoots' excuses are over.

Pressure is on the footy department to improve like the Lions did this year.

Not just SOS, the whole club.

Our draft phase is over.

Using the "we are young" or "green shoots' excuses are over.

Pressure is on the footy department to improve like the Lions did this year.

Correct - just signalled end of rebuild in an emphatic manner.

Don't think Daniher was why we missed the finals. Simply not good enough for a big part of the season.

I'm not arguing that other sides don't get worse without their stars. It's just Carlton supporters in this thread seem to believe them improving significantly next season is fait accompli.

Carlton have delisted plenty of experienced guys who playded plenty of footy in 2018 and replaced them with kids outside of Mcgovern(inconsistent), Newman and Fasolo (inconsistent and average).

Agree, but every new season brings hope
That's the beauty of it
We can all rant and rave because it's not written in stone
Let the blues supporters have their day in the sun, as recently it's all been darkness
I believe an extra say 40-50 goals by Joe Daniher would have got Bombers in the bottom half of the 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back