Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Robbo is simply trolling and making s**t up, just like Dermie, Caro, M. and T. Sheehan, pb, thatsgold, sugarcoat etc etc

I'd rather believe the stock standard party line from the Club of everything being rosy, no matter how much devastation we've been going through of late...

gOpieZ!!!1one!!!

scroodahaterz!

Who cares what Brisbane fans think or say, they are not the ones that will have any say with how the trade goes and neither are we.

Fact is pick 4 for Beams won't get the deal done, they can jump up and down, punch the walls as hard as they like. There so called untouchables is simply their opinion and not the people that matter to get the deal done.

Fact is pick 4 for Beams won't get the deal done, they can jump up and down, punch the walls as hard as they like.

Again, the vast majority of Lions fans don't think pick 4 alone will get it done. I am not sure why this just gets repeated over and over.

Again, the vast majority of Lions fans don't think pick 4 alone will get it done. I am not sure why this just gets repeated over and over.
Probs the same reason why we repeat pick 4 + crisp won't get it done

Harsh. I saw someone prefer Merrett over Hanley, that takes the cake for mine.

Oh they went on to say Merrett over Hanley did they? I didn't even get that far - they had me at they'd already lost me at Merrett.

Last edited:
I had enough of this **** There is a bigger issue being played out here. Clubs poaching other clubs contracted players and the circumstances of players breaking contracts.
It is clear that Lions have actively approached Beams with an offer even though he had another year committed to the Pies. It reeks of the now accepted enticement to FAs and players coming out of their contract term. Is this the new norm?
Even with the family reason being proffered, it would be a very bad development for the AFL to condone clubs applying FA tactics to contracted players and undermining the contractual foundation of the system otherwise the value of player contracts is weakened. The AFLPA might find clubs increasing walkout financial clauses effectively back ending all high value contracts except for top end players at the very end of their career.
This only leads in one direction- longer contracts with less take home pay. Everything gets pushed out further and further to stay within salary caps, potentially past the FA windows and contracts will have large backend buyout values: hurray welcome to the soccer-style EPL and Euro clubs model for the AFL. Stuffs up the whole concept of salary caps as more and more $ gets locked up in contract "values" that never get paid to players - only by one club paying another for the benefit of owning the contract of the players.
Beam's manager has effectively let the cat out of the bag by warning the Pies to only take the Lions offer. Surely a contested market between the Lions and the Suns would be better for his client? He is skating very thin against illegal Trade Practice forcing. I have read (a) Beams wants to be near his father (b) Beams misses Heater (c) Beams wants to play with Clay (d) Beams misses his childhood friends (e) Beams doesn't like the new fitness regime at the club (f) Beams is homesick (g) Beams wants the $, lifestyle and weather. Um take your pick which necessitate the Lions. Will Clay get an automatic contract extension? Or is it to cash in on the Lions need to raise their salary cap spending? I wish his father the best of health and I'm sure if Beams needed 6 months off to see him through his adjustments to remission the Pies would have worked that as most employers would. Beams is payed well at the Pies and could have easily chosen to up his $ value through extension if he wanted to spend it on treatments. But no. No, this is more.
Players can always request a trade. No problem. But I'll call a spade a spade. This is straight out scalping by the Lions and it is not to be endorsed lightly. If you headhunt you have to payout liabilities, that's why companies have anti-poaching agreements. Where is the AFL on this? Are they turning a blind eye since the Lions have gotten themselves into a hole and this might give them a boost? The AFL didn't give the Lions a priority pick for good reason - it's up to them to claw their way up from the bottom year after year just like many Vic teams have had to do. And many of them including us have given away a lot of talent and low picks for the hope of returns. Not fast enough for Leigh obviously.
I'll put it right on Gil to intervene if the parties can't work out a sensible deal. At this point Lions want an Elite player in his prime years but are offering chicken feed. Reality check Lions: you have to pay twice: pay an Elite level contract to Beams for his services; and pay an Elite level deal to the Pies for Beams to be there at all. Reality check Beams: your not a FA, your personal non-AFL reasons for leaving don't give you a right to ask your employer to effectively pay another club for you to switch jumpers - if your prospective next employer truly values you then you pressure them to offer what it takes to get you there. That's what EPL contracts mean for contracted players.

Probably because the minority seem to be louder. I do sympathise with Lions supporters in a way. Pies supporters have the certainty of knowing it's Beams they are losing makes the acceptance process a little easier. Most reasonable Lions fans know they will lose a significant player (one they don't want to lose) along with pick 4 to get it done, but as there is no certainty of who so every time a name is put up the immediate reaction is hell no; the acceptance process is harder because they don't know who they need to accept they are losing.

I suspect that the outcome will be will be that the Brisbane will lose pick 4 and a good young player (like the 3 way deal I suggested earlier) which will make supporters for both teams both happy and sad. Happy for what they have gained, sad for what they have lost.

I was referring more to the Brisbane fans that have been ringing up the tradeweek radio and sen the past few days. They have been doing my head in (including my mate).

If anything I find most of the Lions fans on big footy good, we are always going to be bias in some ways but I havn't seen a poster come here and start laughing or carrying on about Beams leaving Collingwood.

Lucky there are people employed to make the decisions with trades and not us. It's really all out of our hands, we can panic, complain and argue or simply relax and wait for it to happen in the next two weeks, it won't make a difference to the trade. I just hope we are fairly compensated. It's very rear a deal doesn't get done like this and usually when they don't it's Collingwood that cops it, so I am 98% sure Beams will get traded to Brisbane.

I was referring more to the Brisbane fans that have been ringing up the tradeweek radio and sen the past few days. They have been doing my head in (including my mate).

If anything I find most of the Lions fans on big footy good, we are always going to be bias in some ways but I havn't seen a poster come here and start laughing or carrying on about Beams leaving Collingwood.

Lucky there are people employed to make the decisions with trades and not us. It's really all out of our hands, we can panic, complain and argue or simply relax and wait for it to happen in the next two weeks, it won't make a difference to the trade. I just hope we are fairly compensated. It's very rear a deal doesn't get done like this and usually when they don't it's Collingwood that cops it, so I am 98% sure Beams will get traded to Brisbane.

Yeah I'd happily hit the fast forward button to the end of the trade period. I have no desire to ride the rollercoaster.

It's going to be a long couple of weeks.

As a break from quibbling over what the halfway point between "Pick 4" and "Pick 4 & Rockliff" actually looks like, Brisbane and Collingwood supporters should take a joint field trip to the Essendon board's Paddy Ryder thread to see what real trade week delusion looks like.

Last edited:
Probs the same reason why we repeat pick 4 + crisp won't get it done

I too keep seeing claims that all Lions supporters think pick 4 alone will be enough when that is simply not true, i think you will find that majority are open to 4 + 24 or 4 + one of Lester, Crisp, Bewick, Harwood or Golby, i think that is completely reasonable as a fair trade.

In regards to Crisp, i think the kid has buckets of talent and potential, his size and speed for a mid is the main attraction, can run and carry and pops up for a goal or two at times. Can do with some improvement on his kicking and occasional decision making but is young at 20 with a great scope for improvement, i wouldn't be overly dissapointed if i was a Pies suppoerter.

Warren claiming that Brisbane will only offer pick 4 alone is just playing the game IMO as is Eddie claiming pick 4 + Hanley, Rich, Redden etc. at the end of the day the above is a compromised position from both clubs where we raise our offer and the Pies lower the grand expectations, that is where i think a trade will get done.

I too keep seeing claims that all Lions supporters think pick 4 alone will be enough when that is simply not true, i think you will find that majority are open to 4 + 24 or 4 + one of Lester, Crisp, Bewick, Harwood or Golby, i think that is completely reasonable as a fair trade.

In regards to Crisp, i think the kid has buckets of talent and potential, his size and speed for a mid is the main attraction, can run and carry and pops up for a goal or two at times. Can do with some improvement on his kicking and occasional decision making but is young at 20 with a great scope for improvement, i wouldn't be overly dissapointed if i was a Pies suppoerter.

Warren claiming that Brisbane will only offer pick 4 alone is just playing the game IMO as is Eddie claiming pick 4 + Hanley, Rich, Redden etc. at the end of the day the above is a compromised position from both clubs where we raise our offer and the Pies lower the grand expectations, that is where i think a trade will get done.
Pick 4 and what? Pick 24 or a bunch of no names... is why everyone here is saying your only offering pick 4 alone!
We also dont realistically expect Hanley and Redden to be added to pick 4.

Pick 4 and one of Mayes/ Aish is fair, you get proven AA we get two young guys who could be hit or miss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 4 + 24 + Crisp for Beams alone is fair personally and shouldn't be knocked back by Collingwood unless they're adamant on keeping Beams for another year.

4 + Player or 4 + 24 would be a good outcome for Brisbane, IMO.

That's all under the assumption that if Beams wants to still come next year, the Pies won't get anything close to that with the PSD threat and the cap space we have to put a price on his head.

I think 4 + 24 + Crisp for Beams alone is fair personally and shouldn't be knocked back by Collingwood unless they're adamant on keeping Beams for another year.

4 + Player or 4 + 24 would be a good outcome for Brisbane, IMO.

That's all under the assumption that if Beams wants to still come next year, the Pies won't get anything close to that with the PSD threat and the cap space we have to put a price on his head.
Pick 4 24 and Paparone is better out come for the pies.

How about 4+24+Lester for Beams?

I would take that deal, I have checked Lester's stats and they seem pretty good, obviously no where near as good as Beams but that is why we would be getting the other draft picks.

If Collingwood want a proven player like they have came out and said, it is our responsibility to use the pick 4 and whatever draft picks we want to lure a player from another club, like a Hannebery or whatever.

Pick 4 and what? Pick 24 or a bunch of no names... is why everyone here is saying your only offering pick 4 alone!
We also dont realistically expect Hanley and Redden to be added to pick 4.

Pick 4 and one of Mayes/ Aish is fair, you get proven AA we get two young guys who could be hit or miss

Just because you may not have heard of them does not mean that they are duds, even more so that they are young and still yet to make their mark in the media but all have been regularly featured in our 22 and Crisp in particular showed some real impressive signs at the back end of this year, i wouldn't write them off

Pick 4 24 and Paparone is better out come for the pies.
I mainly used Crisp as a place holder for fringe player.

That would work though, I wouldn't do it myself but that's the type of trade I suspect will go down.

I would take that deal, I have checked Lester's stats and they seem pretty good, obviously no where near as good as Beams but that is why we would be getting the other draft picks.

Paige Cardona would be rapt. Lester is her cousin.

That would work though, I wouldn't do it myself but that's the type of trade I suspect will go down.
Personally you could keep pick 24 and we could select one of Mayes or Aish which would effectly be pick 4 and say 8. That is fair for Beams considering hes one of the best players in the comp.

Personally you could keep pick 24 and we could select one of Mayes or Aish which would effectly be pick 4 and say 8. That is fair for Beams considering hes one of the best players in the comp.
It's definitely fair, don't think we would do it.

But if by the end of trade week I see in big letters "Pick 4 + Mayes for Beams", I would be upset until Beams does his presser. ;)

If Collingwood want a proven player like they have came out and said, it is our responsibility to use the pick 4 and whatever draft picks we want to lure a player from another club, like a Hannebery or whatever.

I'd be happy with this.

It's definitely fair, don't think we would do it.

But if by the end of trade week I see in big letters "Pick 4 + Mayes for Beams", I would be upset until Beams does his presser. ;)
I personally don't see the deal getting done. Schwab said he thought pick 4 was fair and Hine has stated and the club put a statement out that pick 4 is not enough. I can't see Schwab offering much more and we would look like monkeys accepting pick 4 and a bottom end player for the Lions considering the club statement released today.

Yeh it does seem like Collingwood would slightly be a head with that trade, a first and second round pick plus a player who will more than likely play every game for us.

I think that is the best outcome we can hope for from a Collingwood perspective. If Brisbane are not keen to do that deal, I would add a third round pick with Beams. I like Lester and he is only young, he tackles and he has some size about him, he will only get better.

That would have us with pick 4, 8, 22 (for Lumumba), 24 and 28 and puts us in a decent position to trade and get a solid player from another club. I don't think we will be keeping the pick 4. I would even package 4, 24 and 28 for a gun midfielder from another club if we could get one. If we left the trade period with just Lester, pick 4 and 28 + what we get for Harry and lose Beams, I would be shattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back