Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 4 has value to Collingwood as a trading tool, more than to use for themselves I would think
Yes as trading tool only, we wouldn't use it to pick up a kid from the draft, as we have plenty.
Though pick 4 on its own will not get us the player we need to replace Beams, same as pick 4 on its own wont be enough to land Beams to Brisbane.

Yes as trading tool only, we wouldn't use it to pick up a kid from the draft, as we have plenty.
Though pick 4 on its own will not get us the player we need to replace Beams, same as pick 4 on its own wont be enough to land Beams to Brisbane.
Totally agree with that. Pick 4 is not enough.

Just saying that a brisbane established player (Rich/Rockliff/Hanley/Redden) wont happen either.

The middle-ground negotiations are going to be interesting

Yep, Collingwood are going to say " Beams has thrown the toys out of the cot as his bestie is at GWS & he does not like the coach"

It is much easier for Collingwood to say that he wants to leave just because his father is sick. No blame then attaches to the club and they can look good by letting him go. It would look much worse for the club and the player if they came out and said he wants to leave because:

- his father is very sick and he wants to be able to spend more time with him;
- he like many others at the club does not get on with Buckley;
- most of his closer mates have been forced out of Collingwood and he would prefer to play with his brother and be able to go out with his mates on the coast;
- he had had enough of being paid half as much as he is worth and is annoyed that Collingwood have not renegotiated it;
- Brisbane are willing to tear up his current contract and pay him twice as much as he is earning now for the next 4 or 5 years; and
- he can party with less scrutiny in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I don't think Collingwood would be too gutted to have a crack at Brayshaw/Wright/McCartin if they couldn't secure a mature gun with pick 4.

It is much easier for Collingwood to say that he wants to leave just because his father is sick. No blame then attaches to the club and they can look good by letting him go. It would look much worse for the club and the player if they came out and said he wants to leave because:

- his father is very sick and he wants to be able to spend more time with him;
- he like many others at the club does not get on with Buckley;
- most of his closer mates have been forced out of Collingwood and he would prefer to play with his brother and be able to go out with his mates on the coast;
- he had had enough of being paid half as much as he is worth and is annoyed that Collingwood have not renegotiated it;
- Brisbane are willing to tear up his current contract and pay him twice as much as he is earning now for the next 4 or 5 years; and
- he can party with less scrutiny in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Yep, as far as I am concerned Collingwood has handled this with integrity thus far. They have indicated that they respect Beams's request and will do anything possible to help him stay at the club whilst allowing him family time, failing that a trade that suits them will need to be done before packing his bags.

Personally, as much as it pains me to see Beams leaving i do not begrudge him for being close to his old man. I think any club's supporter would be devastated at the loss of a player of his caliber. I am also pretty confident a deal will be done.

Yep, as far as I am concerned Collingwood has handled this with integrity thus far. They have indicated that they respect Beams's request and will do anything possible to help him stay at the club whilst allowing him family time, failing that a trade that suits them will need to be done before packing his bags.

Personally, as much as it pains me to see Beams leaving i do not begrudge him for being close to his old man. I think any club's supporter would be devastated at the loss of a player of his caliber. I am also pretty confident a deal will be done.

Realistically both clubs have handled things well so far and Beams has stayed out of it. Very professional and both have put positions without really raising anomosity.

Some of us supporters on the other hand have handled things not so well.

Realistically both clubs have handled things well so far and Beams has stayed out of it. Very professional and both have put positions without really raising anomosity.

Some of us supporters on the other hand have handled things not so well.
Yea, look we are passionate supporters & at times passion bypasses logic. Our excuse is that we are losing a favorite son of the Club so afford a little leniency when dealing with us.

Yea, look we are passionate supporters & at times passion bypasses logic. Our excuse is that we are losing a favorite son of the Club so afford a little leniency when dealing with us.
I think we can all understand that. No-one likes losing a very good player. We'll excuse you if you get a bit passionate. But we probably wont excuse talking nonsense... just like you wouldn't excuse it from us

From a Brisbane point of view, we are excited that such a good player wants to come to us. We don't want to bust up our promising kids to get him, and some of our fans will swear black & blue that we wont give anything more than Pick 4 up. Ignore those ones... they are being unrealistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit surprised that more hasn't been made of Connors saying that Beams's dad is okay and on the mend. (Obviously the 5 year remission disclaimer is implied).

Yeah people seem to think he is dying...I read more like his dad has had a scare and Beams realized life can be short and wants to spend time with family. Prob helps with his friends bar Swan (near retirement) are no longer that the club... oh and he gets to play with his brother

Yeah people seem to think he is dying...I read more like his dad has had a scare and Beams realized life can be short and wants to spend time with family. Prob helps with his friends bar Swan (near retirement) are no longer that the club... oh and he gets to play with his brother

Don't forget the $$$$ although you'd have thought Beams was in for a big pay rise at the Pies anyway.

Yeah... Merrett and 24 for North's 15-ish?

Melbourne's potential band 2 compensation (pick 19) makes more sense. Although an exchange of later picks might need to happen as well or we get a little shortchanged.

The Brisbane Lions supporters are praying GC won't get involved.
Imagine the PR fallout of failing to get Ryder and then GC come in and get Beams?
And before you say they have no salary cap room.
Collingwood could pay a decent amont of Beams contract next year and it would expedite the deal. They could almost pay the full amount!
The Clark trade should make you aware they are a serious player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back