Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will they copy the Marvel tone or try something different? And on that topic should I watch Man of Steel?

Last edited:
Will they copy the Marvel tone or try something different? And on that topic should I watched Man of Steel?

Man of Steel definitely had a different tone to the Marvel movies - there's probably less of the 'humour' that Marvel have in their films and DC tend to go for a darker/more serious take on their stories.

They haven't released any official trailers yet for Batman vs Superman but there seems to be a lot of suggestion that the film will pick up after the events of Man of Steel as well as essentially being a prequel to the Justice League movies that will follow afterwards.

Increasingly there are rumors that Doomsday will be a villain in the movie and that he could be the dead General Zod that Luthor experiments on.

I've got 37 minutes into Man of Steel. Then a redhead journalist showed up climbing cliff faces and I got bored as I felt the stupid turning on.

I've got 37 minutes into Man of Steel. Then a redhead journalist showed up climbing cliff faces and I got bored as I felt the stupid turning on.

Haha. Yeah, that part was a bit silly wasn't it? How'd she manage to negotiate the precarious icy cliff face, at night, given she's just a journalist (and presumably not an expert mountaineer). If you managed to stick out the movie, there's a few more really questionable moments towards the end involving her. I wasn't 100% sold on her portrayal of Lois but I think she was alright. Will be interesting to see how much of a role she has in BvS.

kissing Supes at ground zero and then somehow being able to run to the exact spot where Clark and Zod's fight finishes. [ /spoiler ]

I liked him in the Killing, have not seen RoboCop but herd it was trash. but i just dont see him as Flagg.

Yeah, I haven't seen him in anything myself so have no idea if he would be good or not. I wouldn't have minded Edgerton or Jon Bernthal who I think were also linked to the role but if Ayer is doing the casting, I'm sure he knows what he is looking for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man of Steel definitely had a different tone to the Marvel movies - there's probably less of the 'humour' that Marvel have in their films and DC tend to go for a darker/more serious take on their stories.

Which is just flat out weird, because the whole point of Marvel was that it was meant to be the 'down to earth' one. Unfortunately, I suspect somewhere along the line DC has forgotten itself.

Then don't cast him for a lackey character.

They didnt, i think they will take some from the newer SS comics. and have Deadshot the leader. i wouldnt be shocked if they kill Flagg or injure him to put him out of action early in the film or have them butting heads and an internal fight over who is the Alpha. I want to know who Waller will be working for, Will they go ARGUS or Checkmate or something else? if they go ARGUS they could also use SHADE in the film universe.

Which is just flat out weird, because the whole point of Marvel was that it was meant to be the 'down to earth' one. Unfortunately, I suspect somewhere along the line DC has forgotten itself.

All the marvel films are the same, its just rinse and repeat. and DC are darker in the comics also. but the DC characters work better in a dark and gritty world, [which is more realistic]

Yeah, it's an interesting point. I know some fans would like DC to copy Marvel's tone/style on the basis that at the end of the day, they are comic book movies and should be 'fun' experiences for the viewer and not take themselves too seriously.

The other school of thought I've read seems to be (which is partly what I think DC/WB are trying to do) is to give their universe a different style/feel to differentiate it from Marvel's films. I personally think its the right idea - Marvel have been incredibly successful with their lighter blend but I ultimately think its good that WB/DC try and offer something new and fresh as a point of difference between the 2 franchises. As aussiedude mentioned, the DC characters also probably fit better into a 'darker/grittier' world.

They didnt, i think they will take some from the newer SS comics. and have Deadshot the leader. i wouldnt be shocked if they kill Flagg or injure him to put him out of action early in the film or have them butting heads and an internal fight over who is the Alpha. I want to know who Waller will be working for, Will they go ARGUS or Checkmate or something else? if they go ARGUS they could also use SHADE in the film universe.

Just on this mate - I saw Batman: Assault on Arkham recently and really enjoyed it. On reflection, I just realised Rick Flagg didn't appear in the film (Deadshot assumed the 'leader' role) - is Flagg being written out of the newer comics/more importance being given to Deadshot?

Just on this mate - I saw Batman: Assault on Arkham recently and really enjoyed it. On reflection, I just realised Rick Flagg didn't appear in the film (Deadshot assumed the 'leader' role) - is Flagg being written out of the newer comics/more importance being given to Deadshot?

They just have not used or introduced Flagg into the comics. Although im yet to start the "New suicide Squad" but have them just havent had the time to read them yet, been working through my backlog. But Assault on Arkham isnt Cannon with the comics its more of a tie-in with the animated universe.

Interesting rumour for the possible Green Lantern casting. Chris Pine (for Hal Jordan) and also 'Common' (no idea who he is - for Jon Stewart).

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Chris-Pine-Going-Next-Green-Lantern-70230.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Gree...-Another-Shot-Playing-John-Stewart-70228.html

I think Michelle Rodriquez was also briefly linked to being a female Green Lantern but she quashed those rumours pretty quickly.

I could see Common as Jon wouldnt be my first pick but can see it. But Hal should be Nathan Fillion, he loves the comics and looks the part and i could still see that if they went for an older Hal but they wont. If only he was 10 years younger.

But with the GL film i would like the see them explore the emotional spectrum but that might be too much for the non comic readers unless they only introduce the Sinestro Corps and Star Sapphires and Larfleeze because i just love that character, They could do some fun stuff with Larfleeze like with his Christmas issue. with one day introducing more lanterns and having a future JL movie about Black Hand.

I would love to see Ch'p but that will come of as a rip-off of Rocket from Guardians [Except before Guardians no body wanted to touch Rocket]

I could see Common as Jon wouldnt be my first pick but can see it. But Hal should be Nathan Fillion, he loves the comics and looks the part and i could still see that if they went for an older Hal but they wont. If only he was 10 years younger.

But with the GL film i would like the see them explore the emotional spectrum but that might be too much for the non comic readers unless they only introduce the Sinestro Corps and Star Sapphires and Larfleeze because i just love that character, They could do some fun stuff with Larfleeze like with his Christmas issue. with one day introducing more lanterns and having a future JL movie about Black Hand.

I would love to see Ch'p but that will come of as a rip-off of Rocket from Guardians [Except before Guardians no body wanted to touch Rocket]

I saw this interesting article last month but can't recall if I posted it somewhere.

Apparently (according to the writer anyway) this guy, Dan Amboyer, has already been cast to appear in BvS and the writer put a pretty convincing list of reasons as to why he could be the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).

Basically:
  • Officially has been cast as 'Drone Pilot' in BvS.
  • Uncanny resemblance to Hal Jordan.
  • He's a young and extremely talented theater and TV actor (similar to Ray Fisher for Cyborg and Ezra Miller for Flash).
  • Apparently the actor has been bulking up quite a bit in the gym.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02...ic-universe-2680250?lt_source=external,manual

I know a few fans want Denzel Washington for Jon (but Denzel would be getting on in age wouldn't he?). Fantastic actor though - if he wanted the role (and presumably he'd have to be open to doing a multi movie deal), I'd love to see him.

Just on the GL film, they if do bring Sinestro in, I thought Mark Strong was one of the few highlights in the Ryan Reynolds GL film. Wouldn't mind him reprising the role if that's an option - though you'd suspect DC/WB would want to distance themselves from that bust haha.

I saw this interesting article last month but can't recall if I posted it somewhere.

Apparently (according to the writer anyway) this guy, Dan Amboyer, has already been cast to appear in BvS and the writer put a pretty convincing list of reasons as to why he could be the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).

Basically:
  • Officially has been cast as 'Drone Pilot' in BvS.
  • Uncanny resemblance to Hal Jordan.
  • He's a young and extremely talented theater and TV actor (similar to Ray Fisher for Cyborg and Ezra Miller for Flash).
  • Apparently the actor has been bulking up quite a bit in the gym.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02...ic-universe-2680250?lt_source=external,manual

I know a few fans want Denzel Washington for Jon (but Denzel would be getting on in age wouldn't he?). Fantastic actor though - if he wanted the role (and presumably he'd have to be open to doing a multi movie deal), I'd love to see him.

Just on the GL film, they if do bring Sinestro in, I thought Mark Strong was one of the few highlights in the Ryan Reynolds GL film. Wouldn't mind him reprising the role if that's an option - though you'd suspect DC/WB would want to distance themselves from that bust haha.

Jon has always seemed like he was older than most of the other Lanterns, but Denzel Washington would not be a good fit for him. I would like Pine as Hal, and you dont need to bulk up and be big for Hal because he is just an average size. He doesnt need to be big like Batman or Superman or Aquaman in fact he needs to look small next to them because he has not physical gifts he uses his power ring, and doesnt start as someone who will get into fist fights he uses his ring to fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back