Roast Dear Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Hardwick has just finished his 5th preseason and take a look at the difference in the side from his first game in charge to last night. It's changed greatly from then to now and there is still changes to be made to that side. Take out Thomas Grigg Grimes Newman & S.Edwards and replace them with Maric Deledio Rance McDonough & Lennon and the side will be much better equipped to play the game that he wants to play. Right now it's not and it's a combination of injuries/poor form and kids not quite being ready which is stopping it from happening.

Like I said in another thread earlier this week, take a clubs number 1 ruckman, top 2 midfielder and FB out of the side and then have a number of role players struggling for form and any team will be made to look poor. WCE last week against Geelong is a perfect example they went from a side that looked like a genuine premiership threat after 3 weeks to one that looked like us.

Not sure if you saw it during the week but even Cotchin come out and said that the players are to blame for our current predicament as they just aren't working hard enough or performing well enough for long enough in games. Get out best players back and get our role players back to playing their roles and things will get back on track.

I agree with the ins and outs you suggested but there is one big problem with that RT... Dimma will never take out Grigg, Edwards, Newman.

Not sure if you saw it during the week but even Cotchin come out and said that the players are to blame for our current predicament as they just aren't working hard enough or performing well enough for long enough in games. Get out best players back and get our role players back to playing their roles and things will get back on track.
Players don't last that long if they make it on public record that the coach is to blame.;)

Fremantle at the MCG last year was the perfect example of how the plan B works and works well

The boys need to improve, fitness staff have a lot of explaining to do
Might be a combination of things with our fitness.The new interchange cap,Long season.
Will be interesting how a side like Port go towards the middle to end of the year,If they runout of puff.
Which one will work will be interesting to watch.

Yes I'm a believer in his approach, it has taken us from a team compared to worse that Fitzroy to a finals side last year. Yes we are struggling now, but I'm backing him in to change things up and get us back on track.

Malthouse took Pies to 2 straight flags then missed finals 2 straight years then came back and took them to a flag.
Thompson took the Cats to finals 3 of first 6 then had a poor year in 2006, everyone wanted him out, a year later they won a flag.
Clarkson took the Hawks to a flag, then missed the finals year after, again there were calls to dump him, came back and finished runner up and won a flag last 2 years.

So instead of doing what we always do, which is jump as soon as the fans demand change, how about we stick with the guy that helped get us out of the mess and see if he can turn it around.

BTW speaking of having blinkers on, couldn't be further from the truth. My eyes are open enough to see not only the good but also the bad that is happening. All the haters see is the bad and they continue to demand that success happens yesterday.

as I have said before, credit due to him for what he has done, to me he cant take us to the next level. thats all. I cite player development, game plan flexibility and player passengers for this. time to forget the past and move on. how many times do you want to bring up the fitzroys. your blinkers are on
when you cannot see our inadequacies in the present set up.

Dreaming that Hammer will a forward is very funny. Griffith is our forward / ruck ... In Maric out Hampson

Yeah, great.

So if Maric goes down, you're going to switch Griffith into the ruck and play who in Griffith's position?

So Oren should be playing now? Just incase Hammer hoes down?

No, I suggested Maric (Ruck), Hampson (Ruck/Forward back up), and Griffiths (Forward).

I also stated that I don't much care if the back up is Hampson.

I shouldn't have thought you'd find this so difficult to follow.

Might be a combination of things with our fitness.The new interchange cap,Long season.
Will be interesting how a side like Port go towards the middle to end of the year,If they runout of puff.
Which one will work will be interesting to watch.

I don't think fitness is an issue.

Perhaps if we were fading in the fourth quarter, but our fade-outs are all over the shop.

Actually, if anything we've been coming home reasonably strongly!

I don't think fitness is an issue.

Perhaps if we were fading in the fourth quarter, but our fade-outs are all over the shop.

Actually, if anything we've been coming home reasonably strongly!
Designed/Planned fade outs perhaps?

So you want hammer or Vickery forward when Maric is rucking ?
I want our best 2 rucks playing, I'll let the club decide who that is once they're all available
Where they rest also depends on what our needs are at the time, we might need an extra floating tall in defense like we saw Maric do a lot of last year, we might need the ruck floating up the wing, or they may need to rest at full forward
It's not just a case of plop them at FF and that's it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Designed/Planned fade outs perhaps?

I think Dennis Cometti gave as credible explanation as anybody during the second quarter against Brisbane: "It's almost in their DNA, Richmond. They stop playing. They just switch off and push it around."

Spot on the money, Den.

Wish I knew how to solve the problem (other than a DNA transplant!)

Yes I'm a believer in his approach, it has taken us from a team compared to worse that Fitzroy to a finals side last year. Yes we are struggling now, but I'm backing him in to change things up and get us back on track.

Malthouse took Pies to 2 straight flags then missed finals 2 straight years then came back and took them to a flag.
Thompson took the Cats to finals 3 of first 6 then had a poor year in 2006, everyone wanted him out, a year later they won a flag.
Clarkson took the Hawks to a flag, then missed the finals year after, again there were calls to dump him, came back and finished runner up and won a flag last 2 years.

So instead of doing what we always do, which is jump as soon as the fans demand change, how about we stick with the guy that helped get us out of the mess and see if he can turn it around.

BTW speaking of having blinkers on, couldn't be further from the truth. My eyes are open enough to see not only the good but also the bad that is happening. All the haters see is the bad and they continue to demand that success happens yesterday.
2 straight GF's.

I think Dennis Cometti gave as credible explanation as anybody during the second quarter against Brisbane: "It's almost in their DNA, Richmond. They stop playing. They just switch off and push it around."

Spot on the money, Den.

Wish I knew how to solve the problem (other than a DNA transplant!)
Its like we have lead in our boots.

Its like we have lead in our boots.
We have lead in our brains - too slow to pick an option and take it.
Confidence and trust was lost in the EF.
That's where good coaching is different to good teaching.
You can teach skills and plans but you need to coach the mental side of it to implement and execute.

IMO we need to bring back that West Indian brain guru Rudi whatshisname from the late 70's early 80's....

what is the crux of DIMMA's gameplan?
is it
a) a fast, direct style, where we look great,
b) the slow, chip style that we don't look so great with?
or
c) half of each, with the coach deciding when to switch

if the answer is a) then at what stage do the players decide that they are going to chip the ball around, and is it told to them by the coaching panel? if they are not told to, then we have players that are going against the game plan, and, basically, f*ing up the style we are playing with. those players need to be looked at and spoken to.
if it is b) then the game plan is somewhat flawed, and needs to be reassessed.

i honestly don't know what our plan A is, and i'm sure there are some on here that do not know either. we seem to go between them both so often during a game that c) is the most likely answer. While i LOVE a high possession game when its done well, where we dominate the pill so much that we look like the best team going around. but there needs to be a killer ball that players can deliver often enough to make the final product look flawless. i feel that we do not have enough players that can deliver the final killer ball at the moment. so, therefore, b) fails as a dominant game plan.
a) looks better as we have players that can kick the ball long, and into space, and have a superstar key forward that can outmark most defenders, and midfielders that can win 1on1 contests deep in the forward line.
against the lions, we started well, but poor kicking cost us a large lead, then for some reason, decided to go into a chip game, and we got slaughtered around the ground. once we opened up the game and started playing direct again, we booted 12 of the last 13 goals.

for me, a) needs to be our game plan for 85%-90% of the game, and only for 10%-15% be plan b) - and mainly used when we are needing a breather when we have had a few goals kicked against us, or we are holding onto a slender lead with about 2 minutes left in the game.

what is the crux of DIMMA's gameplan?
is it
a) a fast, direct style, where we look great,
b) the slow, chip style that we don't look so great with?
or
c) half of each, with the coach deciding when to switch

Something like c), but the onus is on the players, particularly the on-field leaders, to decide when to slow things down.

You're right, I think, about needing to keep mainly to a), with b) being there to give us a breather or to recapture tempo when the opposition gets a run-on.

I suspect two things, the obvious one being that the players just haven't managed to get the right idea about when to switch.

But I also wonder if Dimma's emphasis upon defense hasn't indirectly resulted in a loss of confidence?

I mean, if players are constantly being drilled on defensive mindset, then this has to seep into their game. I did notice one instance in the Brisbane game in which Pettard (I think it was) got the ball with players running past, and immediately turned to handpass backwards. Interestingly, there was nobody behind him, so he turned around and passed it forward to one of the players running in support and it resulted in a nice bit of ball movement up the ground. I'd submit that there's the difference right there: when you take the risk you get rewards, when you play it safe you don't.

I don't know if I'm yet prepared to criticize Dimma for making the group too defensive. I can see the need for it, especially after some of those late disasters last year when we should have had a focus on defense and lost matches because we failed to do so. It's a matter, in my view, of giving some time to let the players better figure out when to make the offensive/defensive switch (hence my apparent dogged defense of Dimma). If and when the players can work out when to throw the switch, I think it will make us a hugely improved unit, but I think the present offensive failures are a consequence of this effort to improve the defensive side of our game.

I reckon if your a super coach fan which Hardwick obviously is then you'd be the only people on the planet that would have Hampson and Thomas in your side .

Hampson got to ruck against Jordan Lisle tonight which would of been similar to Trent Cotchin playing on Warrick Capper. 120 odd super coach and 1 kick and five handballs for the game , 3 of those ineffective . No marks at all. 1 tackle . Pmsl this guy has to be the best tap Ruckman but absolute dud on planet earth.

megan gale says otherwise........we arelaying basketball

Tye Vickery or Todd Elton

Except the suggestion was that when Maric comes in, Hampson goes out --meaning you'd only have Griffith available.

The point I was making is not that we don't have options for a back-up ruck/forward on the list, we certainly do.

The point was that you have to have one in the team on game day, otherwise it throws out the ruck or forward structure if your ruck or second forward tall goes down.

That being the case, I don't see how suggesting Hampson is in any way laughable.

Except the suggestion was that when Maric comes in, Hampson goes out --meaning you'd only have Griffith available.

The point I was making is not that we don't have options for a back-up ruck/forward on the list, we certainly do.

The point was that you have to have one in the team on game day, otherwise it throws out the ruck or forward structure if your ruck or second forward tall goes down.

That being the case, I don't see how suggesting Hampson is in any way laughable.

Understand . Why isn't Oren playing now then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back