Review Dees v Carrrrrrlton: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

The long list of who we should unload before next year starts with the fitness staff.
Injury laden years are no accident.

Also what's supposedly a strength for us looks like a big weakness imo. Walsh had 32 and kicked 2 from the wing, Acres kicked 2 as well from big marks and won the game. Hunter doesn't kick goals or take marks but he does use the footy well, Langdon just plain sucks now. Runs down the wing hacking it forward along the boundary. 4 goals to 0 is a smashing on the wings
yeah I think both wings up for grabs. Langdon has become such a soft footballer and is a shell of the player he's been. Hunter has been a handy pickup but he's just too short to play wing in the modern game. I dunno, I ******* hate short footballers.

yeah I think both wings up for grabs. Langdon has become such a soft footballer and is a shell of the player he's been. Hunter has been a handy pickup but he's just too short to play wing in the modern game. I dunno, I ******* hate short footballers.
Yeah I just think with Hunter, Langdon, Viney, Spargo, Chandler, AnB that's way too many guys who can't take a mark against an opponent. Chandler probably be the best of that lot. Meanwhile acres goes down and takes 2 big marks to win the game.

Reflecting at what Brisbane, Pies and Port were able to add last offseason. Brisbane owned the off season and it’s showing on field. Our adds looked ok at the time but Grundy not working out means our list went backwards.

Brisbane: Dunkley, Ashcroft, Fletcher, McKenna. I’ll ignore Gunston who has been average. (Lost McStay and was easily covered by their abundance of forwards already)

Pies: Hill, Mitchell, Markov, McStay (Lost Grundy, covered by Cameron Cox)

Port: JHF, Rioli

Dees: Hunter, Grundy (Lost Jackson, Bedford, Hunt - meh)

Keeping Pickett was big. Grundy didn’t work out as Jackson replacement leaving a hole in R2, I don’t mind we punted on him, but we need to add ready to go quality to keep our window open this off season and young talent obviously. Let’s hope there are some irons in the fire and a semi decent forward see’s the opportunity to own our forward line.

Tomlinson and Jordan looked ok last night but will need to be replaced by others on the list stepping up.

Other lists got better and we went backwards. We need to progress the list with the Jackson compo and bringing in senior quality to fill weaknesses in our list, last crack with Gawn and May next year or two.

I feel like Kozzy had a moment last night to say hey I’m on this big time contract and I deserve to be. Last time he was really on that stage was 2021 and we got nothing from him.

Yeah I just think with Hunter, Langdon, Viney, Spargo, Chandler, AnB that's way too many guys who can't take a mark against an opponent. Chandler probably be the best of that lot. Meanwhile acres goes down and takes 2 big marks to win the game.
I've been keen on turning Rivers into a centre square mid for a while, but I do wonder if he'd be an option on the wing too.

Quick, breaks lines and is good one-on-one/overhead. Would certainly rather him on the wing to Langdon at the moment, provided we bring in someone who can play decent inside mid minutes and add something different to what we already have.

It's nuts that even with these injuries we were a couple of straight kicks from winning both finals games. Just absolutely cooked the chook, waste of talent/drafting/team management
I don't think getting close Is a brag for us. We shut the game down into such a boring s**t along it's impossible to lose by much anyway because the scores are so low.

Reality was we were a 16-9 over the season. Carlton are now 15-9-1 over the season.

In all honesty I feel a bit cheated. That De Koning free kick and goal in the first was deadset charity. Then the goal review reversal with an extra 50 metres added onto it. And the best of all Petracca kicking it off the ground to the boundary, todays rules I expected a free against which was paid. A few minutes later bout 60 metres from our goal Adam Saad does the same thing. Exactly the same thing. No free kick.

We weren’t good enough on the night to counteract the potential BS, I acknowledge that. But those decisions FFS, that’s a final determined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contested marking ability in the middle has been a weakness for us for sometime. Pretty much the biggest reason Gawn retiring will hurt us so much

Petty, Smith, van Rooyen with an injury free and suspension free year. Methinks these 3 have improved this year and together they can make our forward line look dangerous.

PS they all are better shots on goal than our Captain and Vic-Captain.

To be more positive, May and Smith stood out for me. Smith has absolutely risen up to the occasion and May was doing everything he could to save the boys in the last quarter.
Lever going along the line, again, in the last couple of minutes was the last straw. Game over then.
Had to switch and move it quickly.

Good:
  • May pulling down the pants of Curnow yet again.
  • Joel Smith looking our most dangerous forward.
  • Defensively very strong and we never gave up.
  • Finals experience playing in front of 2 x 95k crowds.
  • I thought Sparrow played well, despite the last smother.
  • Having a great draft hand to replenish some of the list.

Bad:
  • The Petty injury. Our best forward and can actually kick straight.
  • Losing to a worse team who relied on our misses to escape through to the prelims.
  • Langdon's form. Stop slipping over you absolute goose. Also the aim of the game is to keep the ball in play and not kick the ball out on the full.
  • There was some umpiring decisions I didn't like tonight. They were a factor.
  • Viney's lack of right foot cost us.

Ugly:
  • 17 damn behinds. Enough said.
  • Gawn, you must do better around goals. Just must. Squandered so many captains goals.
  • Tom McDonald. Thanks for your services.
  • Once again, 17 damn behinds. 17. 17.
  • A Brisbane vs Coll GF is going to be boring as hell. Brisbane dont play at the mcg.
Petty much spot on d168

Played the better footy for second straight week and just couldnt convert properly. At least Brayshaw will get a good rest and people like Petty and Roo will be back at it. Definitely not the end of the Dees' window
I see a small siesta between our forays to the top of ladder.

With our aged-best on walking frames, and our young, just, young.!

Pretty much the perfect encapsulation of our season in 1 game. Shambolic in so many ways: selection, game style (was marginally better particularly early), kicking for goal, horror individual moments.

Yet all we needed was to kill the clock for a minute and a half or 1 player to nail their chances late and we're through.

May was enormous, others were good, hard to take much out of such an epic waste of a season though.
Lever the trigger puller went up the line late, full of guts, playing the line, NOT.

Seriously, this bloke kills our scoring ability via his pedestrian transitions.

Lever the trigger puller went up the line late, full of guts, playing the line, NOT.

Seriously, this bloke kills our scoring ability via his pedestrian transitions.
Lever was one of our best players what are you talking about?

Melk will be a year older and not ready to play until July 2024. 2025 would the year you could expect him to maybe be back to the form he showed prior to the knee.

He’s always been a streaky form player at Melbourne. He’s never really sustained a full season of form even when he was much younger.

I think it’s long odds Melk plays again.
Hypothetical.

Rivers, May, Lever
Salem, Turner, McVee
Bowie, Brayshaw, Sparrow
ANB, JvR, Petracca
Smith, Petty, Pickett

Gawn, Oliver, Viney

Melksham, Chandler, Woewodin,,,, Langdon, Hunter, fritsch, Howes?

enough of a wake up call that we need to change the game plan significantly, if we won this pointless game (in the grand scheme of things) who knows how long we continue meandering down the same predictable path that leads us straight for the exit come September.
Yep, along the line, its closer to the exit gates, you know.

And lever is the doorman.

yeah I think both wings up for grabs.
Absolutely agree. And quickly.

Langdon has become such a soft footballer and is a shell of the player he's been.
:thumbsu:
Hunter has been a handy pickup but he's just too short to play wing in the modern game. I dunno, I ******* hate short footballers.
Hunter gets to tackle, then doesn't stick em. Plays tiggy, and lets them run off with ball in hand.

We cannot afford to play all of Hunter, Langdon and Fritsch all on the same team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back